The GeoCide Coin

pghlooking

I have been thinking about making a GeoCide coin for some time. It would be drama inspired of course. On one side we would have the theatre masks and on the other I was thinking a queen's crown to represent a drama queen.

We have had people before come here, in any of the forums, and commit GeoCide. It can be rather unpleasant at time, but other times it is just plain funny. I think the first person to commit GeoCide was Ringbone, and the last to actually go through with it was <name removed to protect those who have gone before us>. While we can't list everyone's name on the coin, and that wouldn't be right anyhow, we can do the coin and make one offer. Anyone who commits GeoCide would be entitled to a LE coin free of charge. The catch is, that's the only way to get the LE coin. Sure you can threaten to leave the forums, or to take a break, but that won't get you this coin. This coin is only for those who are ture to their word. You must actually leave. Self imploding and rants while leaving are always encouraged since it provides a good laugh for those of us who remain.

This is a real work in progress. There is a coin in the design phase right now. I am with my third artist right now. They have such fragile egos and can't take anything said to them without crying. When I have the artwork I will be back with it and we can go from there. I just wanted to get my claimn in before someone else minted it. Seems like all the good ideas are either grabbed up or used already.

Edited by pghlooking

This isn't a stir the pot thread. This is an actual coin thought. This is a common term used here so why not relate to it better through coins.

You're serious? :rolleyes: That's great then! I was just over in a stir-the-pot in General Topics so this looked like some good drama in the making. :huh: Can't wait to see what the art looks like considering some of the fantastic fatals from the past that are still being reminisced over. :mad:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

DON'T PUSH MY BUTTONS, pgh! I AM ALREADY ON STRIKE TWO AS IT IS

Actually that was the subplot of this whole thread. I know you are suppose to refrain from any topic that may cause yourself or another unduly emotional harm, but we both know you can't resist. Patience isn't your strong point. I learned that when you started driving in a foreign state without a GPS, map, or directions from your navigator, all in search of an IHOP! 1 1/2 hours and 45 miles we made it to breakfast. At least the trip back to the hotel only took 8 minutes! :rolleyes:

This isn't a stir the pot thread. This is an actual coin thought. This is a common term used here so why not relate to it better through coins.

I don't think your claim will really amount to anything. I for one know there is at least one among us that will steal this idea, and have their own version out...if not before you, at least in the same timeframe...

So...don't shatter too many artists' egos.

Neat idea.

Can we get one for drama queens who take their caches and go somewhere else, too?

edit: to ask if there are any other details on the coin like the metals, size (probably won't be a micro), quantity planned, any special features? What would distinguish the LE from the rest of the run?

Edited by ScoutingWV

I think you should go for it, Pghlooking!

This kind of coin sounds perfect. What a great idea you have!

You should call it "Twisting the Dagger" and it would be a great spinning coin,

though I don't know how spinning coins work, really.

GeoCide sounds like Suicide, and is too mean natured... I think.

In fact... perhaps this isn't such a great idea, because Geocoins shouldn't have a mean nature...

no... not a coin I would be interested in after all.

If this IS a mean-natured Geocoin, perhaps this thread should be closed?

Edited by Fluttershy

I have been thinking about making a GeoCide coin for some time. It would be drama inspired of course. On one side we would have the theatre masks and on the other I was thinking a queen's crown to represent a drama queen.

We have had people before come here, in any of the forums, and commit GeoCide. It can be rather unpleasant at time, but other times it is just plain funny. I think the first person to commit GeoCide was Ringbone, and the last to actually go through with it was Tommy Trojan. While we can't list everyone's name on the coin, and that wouldn't be right anyhow, we can do the coin and make one offer. Anyone who commits GeoCide would be entitled to a LE coin free of charge. The catch is, that's the only way to get the LE coin. Sure you can threaten to leave the forums, or to take a break, but that won't get you this coin. This coin is only for those who are ture to their word. You must actually leave. Self imploding and rants while leaving are always encouraged since it provides a good laugh for those of us who remain.

This is a real work in progress. There is a coin in the design phase right now. I am with my third artist right now. They have such fragile egos and can't take anything said to them without crying. When I have the artwork I will be back with it and we can go from there. I just wanted to get my claimn in before someone else minted it. Seems like all the good ideas are either grabbed up or used already.

Geocaching.com is a family-friendly site. Reading this ugly post is certainly not family-friendly.

First of all, "GeoCide" strongly Coins itself with the term "Suicide"

This is an idea for a mean-spirited coin, and this thread should be reviewed by a Moderator.

I am very confused how is it that this went from being a great idea for a coin to suggesting that a moderator review this thread in 3 posts? If this coin is implemented as a concept, not naming specific cachers, it isn't mean and is in fact pretty darn funny.

Geocaching.com is a family-friendly site. Reading this ugly post is certainly not family-friendly.

This is an idea for a mean-spirited coin, and this thread should be reviewed by a Moderator.

I see what you mean and I understand and respect your point. It will be interesting to see what the mods think. We all see things differently and personally, I don't see this as a mean spirited thing. If it is specifically targeted at someone and the generalizations/clarifications made in the original post are only meant to cover a hidden motive, then I will immediately change my opinion.

I see it simply as a reflection of another part of the social aspect of the game. And it's actually related in some manner to the game (I still can't figure out that Sumatran elephant thing).

Families are incredibly toxic. Anyone who claims that families are wholesome, innocent and pure as the driven snow should have their heads examined.

We have had people before come here, in any of the forums, and commit GeoCide. It can be rather unpleasant at time, but other times it is just plain funny. I think the first person to commit GeoCide was Ringbone, and the last to actually go through with it was Tommy Trojan. While we can't list everyone's name on the coin, and that wouldn't be right anyhow, we can do the coin and make one offer. Anyone who commits GeoCide would be entitled to a LE coin free of charge. The catch is, that's the only way to get the LE coin. Sure you can threaten to leave the forums, or to take a break, but that won't get you this coin. This coin is only for those who are ture to their word. You must actually leave. Self imploding and rants while leaving are always encouraged since it provides a good laugh for those of us who remain.

It isn't mean natured at all. Geocide is commonly used term by regular to noobs here. It has been used by common cachers to mods themselves. There is nothing wrong with the word or term at all. It has become a term for something that needed a name. This is the name that was used and it stuck. It isn't something that has ever been banned or removed by mod or anything else. Lighten up a little. By the previous posts it seems many like the idea and are having fun with it. Maybe you should try it as well. If you don't like the coin or idea though no one is forcing you to read this thread. you know what it is about and don't like it so you have the choice of moving on and not reading it. Coming in here and throwing a fit all in the name of trying to close a thread because you don't like the idea of the coin is purely childish.

What is the world coming to?

I dont find it funny that people who join a game/hobby to meet people, have some fun, get exercise etc and leave because they are not enjoying it anymore should get maligned and laughed at.

I find it amazing that anyone would consider highlighting a very sad and (mostly) traumatic event.

Grow up.

I don't get it...we can have coins about muggles and cache pirates but not geociders???

I think it is a dang good idea...go with it with all due speed!

Fluttershy...you come out with what? Four billion ideas all the time and this person isn't allowed one?

Besides, how would one really commit geocide (since you say it is close to "suicide") in real life? Swallow a bunch of Moun10Bike v.1 coins? :rolleyes:

I dont find it funny that people who join a game/hobby to meet people, have some fun, get exercise etc and leave because they are not enjoying it anymore should get maligned and laughed at.

I find it amazing that anyone would consider highlighting a very sad and (mostly) traumatic event.

Grow up.

Oh please...please...take the stick out of your...well, you get it. :huh:

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Grow up.

I'm sorry you don't see the humor in this.

I think if you ever witness one first hand, you would see the humor...I think.

If the idea is mean-spirited, I won't support it, and the thread will be shut down...however, someone will have to give good evidence that this is targeted at a specific individual. (i.e. MOS coin.)

Many people stop caching for many different reasons. The bottom line is probably pretty much the same though. The fun has left the activity for them. Those folks leave the game quietly, and unfortunately, the majority of us don't notice until they are gone for a while.

However, once in a great while, someone will come along and quit this game in a spectacular fashion. When they bring this into the general forums, and really have a melt down, they open themselves up to public ridicule. I have only witnessed 2 or 3, and they have all been pretty specatacular...

Lighten up a little. By the previous posts it seems many like the idea and are having fun with it. Maybe you should try it as well. If you don't like the coin or idea though no one is forcing you to read this thread. you know what it is about and don't like it so you have the choice of moving on and not reading it. Coming in here and throwing a fit all in the name of trying to close a thread because you don't like the idea of the coin is purely childish.

Ahh... I think this is the exact thing I should have responded with to your post #29 in my "A Satisfying Geocoin" thread.

I appreciate these kinds of posts, so that I can see your true disposition.

I've made my point, thanks.

I think I have an idea of what the term geocide means but I'm not altogether sure, would someone care to explain what the term actually means on these forums.

One other comment..........does it have to be a "drama queen?" Maybe you could be gender neutral or have both "drama queen" and "drama king" :rolleyes: That's the feminist side of me speaking and/or = opportunity :huh:

Edited by tsunrisebey

Grow up.

You might want to look up Ringbone and read the thread before claiming that all these issues are sad and traumatic. GeoCide can be funny as all get out. This coin will be funny. If you choose to find a negative in it, you can do that with any coin. The coins featuring food and candy are horrible because obesity is a huge problem in the world and especially America. if it weren't for caching I am sure there would be even more people not doing a lick of exercise. All those coins should be banned. The ones featuring film cans should be banned because they are not biodegradeable. They are bad for the environment. The ones featuring ammo cans should be banned because they support war and killing of others. Where do you want to end this politically correct game? I personally say it is over now and want to get back on topic. The support in designing and support for buying this coin. I am looking for interest in it, not a debate on it's merits.

It will be interesting to see what the mods think.

For now, I see nothing wrong with this. No names were given and the term "geocide" goes back AT LEAST 3 years. Search the whole site (not juse these coin forums) and see what you get.

In August of 2003, a handy form was even created for people to use.

That being said, if this coin comes to fruition, it's just another coin alluding to an aspect of the game.

If it never comes to fruition and it's determined that this thread was created just to pour salt on an open wound ofa specific person then the appropriate actions (as always) will be taken.

I think I have an idea of what the term geocide means but I'm not altogether sure, would someone care to explain what the term actually means on these forums.

One other comment..........does it have to a "drama queen?" Maybe you could be gender neutral or have both "drama queen" and "drama king" :rolleyes: That's the feminist side of me speaking and/or = opportunity :huh:

I hate being PC. Do we really have to? I mean since you asked so nicely I am sure I could be forced into it, but drama queen just has a ring to it.

What about sock puppet geocides?

Only if the actual account owner admits that it was their account and then commits geoCide themself. In that case they would receive the XLE that I wasn't even going to mention.

Dang, that was going to be my question! And I had the perfect sockpuppets to OFF too! I'm so upset that MustangJoni stole my idea, that I might just do it. Don't try and stop me!! It won't help. I'm going to chuck my Magellan from the tallest building in town, plumetting to the earth below (okay, not much of a threat since the tallest building in town is like 3 stories high, and I hate my Magellan ever since I bought the Garmin 60CSx, but I'll do it all the same). Oh, hang on, I gotta go take my medications....

....(10 minutes later) wheh, that feels better. Nothing like a prozac, xanax, and Whiskey cocktail. I don't see the term "Geocide" as being family offensive myself (at least now that my medicine has kicked in). I mean, even here in Sandy, UT (where as YemonYime so kindly pointed out, BrokeBack Mountain was indeed banned from the theater...well one theater anyway), I don't have to shield the neighbor kids eyes before I whip out the herbiCIDE to spray down the walks, or cover the kids ears when I'm having a sordid conversation about what insectiCIDE to use to kick the crap out of the hornets that made a nest in my sprinkler box. Killing off your geocaching identity is a pretty far cry from suicide in my personal paradigm, although I must admit sometimes it seems more dramatic.

I think my skin is thick enough. I'm in for a regular edition. I'm afraid I don't have the guts to pull off what it takes to get an LE coin. What if you can provide positive evidence that you drove someone else to geocide, is there like an Ultra-XLE for that?

For now, I see nothing wrong with this. No names were given and the term "geocide" goes back AT LEAST 3 years. Search the whole site (not juse these coin forums) and see what you get.

In August of 2003, a handy form was even created for people to use.

That being said, if this coin comes to fruition, it's just another coin alluding to an aspect of the game.

If it never comes to fruition and it's determined that this thread was created just to pour salt on an open wound ofa specific person then the appropriate actions (as always) will be taken.

Thank you. It is an attempt at a coin. It is something that has been overlooked but has played a major part in the development of these forums.

What if you can provide positive evidence that you drove someone else to geocide, is there like an Ultra-XLE for that?

Now that brings up an interesting concept. how about this. If you can prove you were indeed the one behind the person commiting GeoCide, and did nothing that either did or would have, gotten you banned or punished in any other way, then yes you would be eligible for a LE coin.

Oh please...please...take the stick out of your...well, you get it. :rolleyes:

Let's keep it within reason here. This isn't called for. State your opinions, but leave comments like this out of it.

Yes please keep this a family friendly GeoCide. I don't want this thread locked because someone went OT or too far. This is a serious issue.

Edited by pghlooking

Thank you. It is an attempt at a coin. It is something that has been overlooked but has played a major part in the development of these forums.

With all due respect, don't thank me. I'm not taking sides. I'm just providing some background and stating the facts as we know them right now.

I am thanking you for being fair and understanding and not taking sides actually.

What if you can provide positive evidence that you drove someone else to geocide, is there like an Ultra-XLE for that?

Now that brings up an interesting concept. how about this. If you can prove you were indeed the one behind the person commiting GeoCide, and did nothing that either did or would have, gotten you banned or punished in any other way, then yes you would be eligible for a LE coin.

I'm sorry, I know this is supposed to be fun and all, but I really don't get this. Why would you want to make fun of/point fun at anyone who quits geocaching? I mean, it's such a great sport/hobby/past time, why would you want to mar it negatively in any way. Could you explain how this is so great? If someone leaves geocaching, even in a dramatic way, I'd be more apt to feel sorry about it, not make fun of them. Yeah I just don't get it sorry.

Sweet! Time to pull out the lipstick, and start going through my hit-list (reference to Billy Madison, actually I think wearing lipstick as a grown man is punishable as a felony in Sandy, Utah).

I'm sorry, I know this is supposed to be fun and all, but I really don't get this. Why would you want to make fun of/point fun at anyone who quits geocaching? I mean, it's such a great sport/hobby/past time, why would you want to mar it negatively in any way. Could you explain how this is so great? If someone leaves geocaching, even in a dramatic way, I'd be more apt to feel sorry about it, not make fun of them. Yeah I just don't get it sorry.

They don't have to quit Geocaching. people come here and spout off then through out some rants then leave in a huff. Have you looked at the Ringbone posts mentioned above? If not read first. you will understand.

Well two names have already been mentioned at the start of this thread. I found there to be nothing to laugh about the way <name removed by moderator> was hounded. I live on the other side of the world, and he made caching more fun for me. He appeared to be deeply upset by the way he was treated on here. I dont find that funny.

BTW there is no stick up my ...., I just actually care about people. Why make this place ugly? If I'd seen this sort of thing early on I wouldn't have taken up the hobby. Show how much fun you can be in other ways rather than laughing at others?

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I obviously was unaware of the term "GeoCide" and thought it to be very cruel and mean.

I guess what you're saying in this coin idea is that "Drama Queen" Geocachers who leave the Geocaching

forums permanently will get this coin?

This coin is all in good fun and not meant to be mean-spirited?

:rolleyes: < ----- This should so be a coin.

Consider your idea STOLEN!LOL!!

Hey steal from your own thread, not mine. :huh:

Perish the thought anyone should try to inject a little a little humor into YOUR thread.LOL!

Email me with a kick back offer and we will from there. :mad:

Would you like a regular or LE of this coin though?

I don't have any intention or desire to make fun of any one person in particular. I just think the long, dramatic history of geocide is as deserving of some recognition as anything. And I think we all know if we look back through all the geocoins that have come out in the past several months, coins don't have to be GREAT to be minted and sold.

Edited by Redwing_dave