Question about cache placement.

Please could someone clarify the rules with regard to placing caches in areas with an 'entrance' charge?

I have asked for permission to hide a cache on a pier close to where I live. However, the pier is closed at night. During the day, there is a 40p 'strolling' charge, and in the evenings the gates are left open but you are invited to place a donation in the box at the entrance.

I recall finding a similar cache elsewhere in Britain. There was a small entrance fee but it is quite a popular cache, so this seems to indicate that it's not a problem..?

Sorry, to clarify, the Pier Trust have sent me an email to say it sounds like a good idea, but as I was preparing the container tonight, this potential problem occured to me for the first time! I am trying to find interesting places to put wheelchair accessible caches, and this would have been ideal.

One solution may be to hide it on the gate itself (it's a nano cache), accessible whether they are open or closed. However, firstly I think that it may then be difficult to retrieve in the summer due to muggles, and secondly it is just under 0.1 miles from another cache if placed there, so it probably wouldn't be allowed anyway. Looks like I may have to rethink. :huh:

SP - sorry to be thick, but what do you mean when you say the other cache could be grandfathered? Do you mean it may have been placed before such rules were introduced?

SP - sorry to be thick, but what do you mean when you say the other cache could be grandfathered? Do you mean it may have been placed before such rules were introduced?

Becky, I suspect that is exactly what Paul meant.

It would seem a shame to lose such an ideal sounding hiding place, of course I am not the one who decides but I would make it plain the cache is available for a donaton only in the evening. To be honest, if it is the pier I am thinking of, I'd be happy to pay 40p towards its upkeep, and a cache thrown in would make it simply perfect.

Grandfathered caches are those which met the version of the guidelines current when placed and published, but do not meet the current revised guidelines.

As for the payment of a Entrance Fee :laughing: as long as the establishment is a "not for profit location" then it can be listed, as what your describing fits this. The chances are it can be published [i can't give you a definitive answer without seeing a cache submission] :laughing: but it would be advisable to mention the opening times and and strolling fee on the cache page.

As that's from some who says Yes :huh:

Ooh, that sounds promising, thank you. I'm going to have to check this 0.1 mile thing though, as I've just remembered there's actually another cache the other side of it too :laughing: .

Can I ask another question - the cache that is closest is GCN2K1, however it is only the start point / clue for the multicache that is located there. The final cache is further away. Does that still mean that you cannot place a new cache within 0.1 miles of this start point?

Does that make any sense? It's very late, and I'm very tired, so apologies if it doesn't. :huh:

Ooh, that sounds promising, thank you. I'm going to have to check this 0.1 mile thing though, as I've just remembered there's actually another cache the other side of it too :laughing: .

Can I ask another question - the cache that is closest is GCN2K1, however it is only the start point / clue for the multicache that is located there. The final cache is further away. Does that still mean that you cannot place a new cache within 0.1 miles of this start point?

Does that make any sense? It's very late, and I'm very tired, so apologies if it doesn't. :laughing:

False coordinates for Multi/Puzzle caches are not involved when performing proximity checks :huh: so yes you can have a physical cache within 0.1 miles of them.