Help Loading MapSend Topo on Meridian Gold

Although i am very dissapointed with Magellan's customer service i am still trying to usae their unit since i already have it. Someone on here sent me a new mapsend topo that i am trying to load on the Meri Gold.

I put a new SD card in the unit. I tried to load a map. It says there is no memory available on the GPS. It gives an option for an SD programmer, but i have no idea what that is.

I have tired following the instruction in the manual which says format card first. Press (menu) then (card utilities). Problem is, there is no card utilites on the menu page.

I am running v 5.40

Thanks!

IIRC the card must be formatted in FAT16. I'm guessing that it may have been formatted in something else. You can try formatting with FAT16 in a card reader and seeing if the GPS will recognize it. Or try another card.

As long as it's the right format, the 5.40 firmware *should* read it.

Thank you for your help. I checked out the Yahoo groups FAQ and although it doesnt say directly it inplies that the sd card i have is too big. I bought a 1GB card. It was almost the same price as the lesser cards. Oh well. I will return today and try a different smaller card. Then i will return here and report, in case someone else searches this topic in the future.

1GB cards should work ok; IIRC people have reported using 2GB successfully (I don't think the 4GB fly ok, but I might be wrong on that). I think the brand compatibility referenced by Traildad applied to some older firmwares. I do stick with major brands, just to be on the safe side.