How many

There are other recent threads about this exact topic... if you look at those you can see some discussion. It is difficult to estimate, and largely depends on your definition. Is a geocacher anyone who has an account; has found at least one cache; been active within the last six months; etc.. etc...

In another thread on this topic, I posted my best guest estimate using the definition of active geoacachers as anyone who has accessed their account within the last six months. That gives us about 26% of the accounts created have actually been used in the last six months. Since there are approximately 1,040,000 accounts created, that gives approximately 270,000 cachers active in the last six months.

Edited to add link to another topic discussing similar issues: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=159476

Edited by BRTango

Hi,

I need to do a project and was wondering how many Geocachers there are. On the home page is how many Geocaches, but how many of actual finders of these geocaches are there? Any ideas on how to find out?

Thanks!

There's three is my house :)

That's about the limit of my math ability. I am sure that Fizzy Magic or a few others could give you an educated guess. It would be just that though because there's several people that cache under one name. The number of caches is more quantifiable.

Hi,

I need to do a project and was wondering how many Geocachers there are. On the home page is how many Geocaches, but how many of actual finders of these geocaches are there? Any ideas on how to find out?

Thanks!

There's three is my house :)

That's about the limit of my math ability. I am sure that Fizzy Magic or a few others could give you an educated guess. It would be just that though because there's several people that cache under one name. The number of caches is more quantifiable.

Fizzy Magic has great stats, his webpage is incredible. The only problem with using his stats to answer this question though is that he only shows how many people have created accounts. That's a very quantifiable number and he shows the growth of the sport quite well in that regard.

As for the number of geocachers there actualy are? Nearly impossible to know, but just the little bit of estimating that I've done, it looks like between 23% and 27% of accounts created on any given day have been used within the last six months. Leaving us with just over 270,000 cachers active within the last six months. That compared to the 1.04 million accounts which have been created.

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!! This information was just what I was looking for.

As our handle states - there are 3 wildwomen attached to this account so I kinda knew there wouldn't be an easy way to find out how many CACHERs there are, but knowing how many accounts will start me in the right direction.