GPS60 cable to Palm

First post:

I have a Garmin GPS60CSX and a Tungsten E Palm. I use Cachemate and was wanting to use the plugin for the getting gps location from the GPS and sending a waypoint to the GPS. Both the gps and palm use mini B USB connections. I am unable to find a cable to connect the two. Seem from the sources that I checked it does not exist. So how do I connect the two?

thanks for the help. misterp_otc

When I went browsing for a cable to connect my 76CSx to my Tungsten E2, I learned that there wasn't one because the Tungsten E2 (plain E also?) doesn't have a 'serial' connection, so the interface protocol won't work.

The recommended solution was a Bluetooth adapter for the gps, which the pda can then see and interface with. I haven't actually purchased one yet, but it looks like that will be my only option to connect these two devices.

When I went browsing for a cable to connect my 76CSx to my Tungsten E2, I learned that there wasn't one because the Tungsten E2 (plain E also?) doesn't have a 'serial' connection, so the interface protocol won't work.

The recommended solution was a Bluetooth adapter for the gps, which the pda can then see and interface with. I haven't actually purchased one yet, but it looks like that will be my only option to connect these two devices.

Is that a blue tooth adapter that plugs into the usb port on the 76? I have a 60 csx and that would be great if I could use it to transfer information to my pocket pc.

Is that a blue tooth adapter that plugs into the usb port on the 76? I have a 60 csx and that would be great if I could use it to transfer information to my pocket pc.

I've only been able to find one example of this type of device online, and it's from Pc-Mobile. This particular one uses the serial connection (round, 4-pin) on the 60 and 76 series units. I have a cable from them that I used to connect my Legend to my m125, and it worked fine, but I'd like to actually find someone who's used this new setup successfully before I order one. From the Pc-Mobile site:

You like your Garmin/Magellan handheld but wish they are BT compatible?

You can now upgrade your handheld GPS to Bluetooth so that you can connect to PDA or PC running navigation software.

It is inexpensive, simple, easy to use and is compatible with almost all GPS with NMEA output (please see FAQ at the bottom).

It is designed primarily for use with our GPS cables (showing continued support/upgrade for our products) for Garmin/Magellan handhelds but can be used with almost all other GPS with a serial cable. As thousands of previous customers already have our GPS cables therefore we can offer the adapter on its own at very affordable price.

FAQ:

Q: Can all Garmin/magellan GPS be used?

A: Basic requirement for GPS to be able to use BT adapter is NMEA 4800 output AND a serial interface. Therefore almost all Garmin/Magellan GPS with appropriate cable can be used.

Exceptions are: Forerunner/Foretrex, and some new Garmin GPS that do not have serial interface like VistaC/LegendC, these do not work.

We also have a couple of reports (up to June 8) that GPS 60 does not work. (Garmin GPS with both USB/serial ports are questionable)

Q: Can all GPS with a serial cable be used?

A: No, most will work, but not all. The GPS must output NMEA, have serial interface, AND can work on its own without connecting to other software/hardware. That covers over 90% of the GPS on the market. Some serial GPS needs other software/hardware to "wake up" the GPS to work (e.g. Delorme/RandMcNally/Digitraveler) so these GPS will not work with the bluetooth adapter.

The bold emphasis is added by my, and is my biggest concern in ordering because they have a "No refund for any reason" policy. They will replace defective merchandise, but if it simply turns up uncompatible, and isn't actually defective, I'm stuck with a useless (to me) item.

I have the PC-Mobile bluetooth adapter, and I've used it for a long time with both my Legend and Digitraveler. You do need the cable to connect to the GPS, but they sell them, or you can make your own. The adapter takes a 2.5mm plug, standard for most cell phones. I made two cables, using old cell phone headset cables, and the proper plugs for the eTrex and Digitraveler. PC-Mobile sells them though, if you don't want to do the soldering and research on which wires to connect. It should work fine with any GPS, as long as you have the proper cable. The adapter uses 2 AA batteries, and they last for a very long time. Using NiMH rechargeables, I get a couple of days of continuous use. I've forgotten to turn it off for a couple of days and it still was working.

I've ordered several items from PC-Mobile, and have been happy with them. The orders arrive quicker than orders from US vendors, and the products have all worked well.

I can't guarantee that the 60 will work, because it does require NMEA output, not Garmin. Garmin's protocol is quirky and doesn't work with anything else. If the 60 will provide NMEA sentences, it should work. If not, you're SOL. Another possibility is to just buy a bluetooth GPS. You can get one for ~$70, and they will work with any PDA that has bluetooth.

Edited by NightPilot

The Garmin 60 and 76 series can be set to NMEA in/out, so I think it probably would work.

I'm more interested in using the connection to send new/different waypoint sets to the gps than I am in using the pda for navigation, so an additional bluetooth gps doesn't suit my needs.

My single experience with Pc-Mobile was a good one, but with their website not giving a clear answer on this, and their no return policy, it wouldn't be fair of me to expect them to take this back if it wasn't compatible. I'm hoping someone else took the $50.00 risk and can give some assurances.

Maybe they'd 'loan' me one so I could test it for them, then they would know for sure and could promote it as such if indeed it does work. :)

Edited by gnbrotz

I guess I'll have to do without a connection between my current devices then (not a huge deal) since my gps needs to use a 'serial' interface for waypoint/route/track data and my current pda doesn't have serial capabilities. If the only thing I can do with the BT adapter is use it for pda navigation, I don't see the point, since I don't know of anything I'd do with the pda that I can't do with the standalone gps.

At least I still have some $$ in my pocket for a different toy now....wonder what will it be?? :)

You must use the serial connection. There are NO PDAs that can run USB as a host. All USB transfer requires a host......

A normal serial cable connection should do everything you need.

From the Pc-Mobile web site:

HP Ipaq 19xx, Tungsten E, Zire, Zire32/72, Toshiba e310, Sony Clie UX50 - these PDA do not have serial ports so it is not possible to connect any GPS via cable. Therefore we do not have interfaces for these models.

The palm website and unit documentation also state that the E2 "Uses a USB synch cable", so how do I use a normal serial cable to connect to this pda?? I understand that USB is not an option between the two, which is why the BT adapter was being discussed.

I have a 60cx and an older Palm that "can" communicate with each other via Cachemate and a serial connection. While I think it's cool to be able to transfer cache coords to the GPS, I've actually never used the feature in the field! The same GPX file that I load on my Palm (2200+ caches) will also load as POI's on my GPS so I'm not sure why I would ever need to transfer cache locations from the PDA? I do occasionally upload my current position to the PDA (I'm too lazy to type and also just like to do it because I can...) but if this is the only functionality that you really need, I would suggest buying a old serial Palm off of ebay for $10 rather than buy pricey BT technology.

<snip>...I would suggest buying a old serial Palm off of ebay for $10 rather than buy pricey BT technology.

I have a cable from them that I used to connect my Legend to my m125, and it worked fine...<snip>

It's on the list to be up for sale with my Legend (and the cable to connect them)...Don't want to have to explain why I need to carry two pda's to my wife :) , and don't want to actually do it, even if she said it was ok. :)

My Legend only holds 1000 waypoints, and I have more than twice that number in GSAK, covering home and places I work. I just can't put all of them on my GPS, so it's handy to send waypoints now and then. I don't do it all that often, but sometimes it's very nice to be able to do it. I also send coordinate lists of things other than caches - geocaching, contrary to popular belief, is not the only use for a GPS receiver. :)

Looks like I have another reason for a new Palm. I was wanting a TX with wireless (also has bluetooth) I use the GPS for my job mostly and geocaching second. It would be nice to turn off the geocaching waypoints in the Garmin. Or better yet to just show them with in a set distance. When you have a thousand waypoints saved in the GPS it is a lot of clutter on the screen that is there if needed or not. I did find a usb gps receiver for $120 that I guess i could get. Just did not want to put the cash out just for a receiver.

Guess I will keep doing it the old way for now..

Thanks for the input.