New Coin Idea

SoCalGeocoins

I'll make 1 more suggestion than you'll have to pay me for my time......lol.

Back to the circle part (menu?) again.

Maybe put those arrows or triangle shapes around it and put the N,S,W,E letters inside. You might even think about adding additional arrows or directions like; NW, NE, SW, SE also. Give the compass look :huh:

Good luck....tsun

I like the idea a lot and would probably order a couple. Question: is it "generic" enough in design so as not to infringe on any copyrights?

I believe it is. It's basically a "shell" of an IPOD modified to fit geocaching.

You may also have a problem with "icache" being a registered trademark. I had looked into doing a coin a couple months ago, icache, igeo and igps were all trademarked so I gave up.

I don't normally post art that I've done for people, but in this case I think I better jump in before you spend too much time on this idea, because I'm pretty sure that one very similar to it is being produced already.

I know I did the art and have been paid for it. :huh:

iCache_proof-1.jpg

I'll leave it up to the people that I did the art for to follow up whenever they see this post. :D

D-man ;)

Edited by gridlox

I like these - being a gadget person :-) . I think I prefer the newer design just posted with the menu list of cache types on one side, and the N,S,E,W - maybe with simple compass points/arrows on the dial too.

Interesting question though - at which point is it unethical to proceed knowing there is another on the way , that maybe does not get past artwork. When artwork is approved, or when the artwork is sent off for the samples.

Sue

At the rate that coins are being produced based on common objects, it's no surprise that more than one person is thinking about the iCache (because iCan - he he) idea.

I'm only surprised tha the fastest selling music object took this long to get in to development. And for the quick enterpreneur, those little machines come in lots of fancy colors, so there is money to be made on selling lots of color variations of the coin!

I don't normally post art that I've done for people, but in this case I think I better jump in before you spend too much time on this idea, because I'm pretty sure that one very similar to it is being produced already.

I know I did the art and have been paid for it. :wub:

iCache_proof-1.jpg

I'll leave it up to the people that I did the art for to follow up whenever they see this post. :D

D-man :wub:

Last time I had an idea there was a similar coin that was produced while we were in the process of getting it made. After seeing the similar coin we halted our process. I think this time we are still going to go ahead and produce this coin since it is somewhat different. So Im going to be taking pre-orders for this design.

100 nickel

100 black nickel

with 50 LE gold to be sold later. If you would like to order this coin in nickel/black nickel please send us a reply. Thanks.

Last time I had an idea there was a similar coin that was produced while we were in the process of getting it made. After seeing the similar coin we halted our process. I think this time we are still going to go ahead and produce this coin since it is somewhat different. So Im going to be taking pre-orders for this design.

100 nickel

100 black nickel

with 50 LE gold to be sold later. If you would like to order this coin in nickel/black nickel please send us a reply. Thanks.

Email sent with order.

If you make equal quantities of all the metals, how does the glitter gold version become LE?

Well originally it was going to be 100 +100 and 50, but my partner thinks we should sell them in sets. But I dont want to limit it for everyone else who just wants one.

The LE will be Gold with glitter, the others wont. Should we only make 50 of the LE?

Any feedback appreciated.

If you make equal quantities of all the metals, how does the glitter gold version become LE?

Well originally it was going to be 100 +100 and 50, but my partner thinks we should sell them in sets. But I dont want to limit it for everyone else who just wants one.

The LE will be Gold with glitter, the others wont. Should we only make 50 of the LE?

Any feedback appreciated.

I am all for Limited Edition coins, but I agree with Atwell Family. Quantity produced is the sole definition of "Limited Edition". If you want to produce an LE version, fire away. Just don't pretend the coin buyers are not smart enough to realize that if you sell one for $7, and the "LE" for $13, that's 100% profit (give or take $.50 for glitter enamel or special colors). :D

(**fictitious example about costing "LE" coins for purchase that pertains to all coins and coin makers many, many times in the past, even if some coin producers do fit that example today. It was not directed at any one person**)

I am all for Limited Edition coins, but I agree with Atwell Family. Quantity produced is the sole definition of "Limited Edition". If you want to produce an LE version, fire away. Just don't pretend the coin buyers are not smart enough to realize that if you sell one for $7, and the "LE" for $13, that's 100% profit (give or take $.50 for glitter enamel or special colors). :D

(**fictitious example about costing "LE" coins for purchase that pertains to all coins and coin makers many, many times in the past, even if some coin producers do fit that example today. It was not directed at any one person**)

Thanks Moop along.

I agree with that. So we need to decide if we want to make it in equal sets without an LE or 100, 100 and 50 LE.

Sets or LE? Anyone have a preference?

Are we really out of ideas to the point that we (the community) want two coins produced that are 90% identical?

I know there are folks that use iPods for paperless caching and for playing music while caching so I can see the relevance to caching - I'm just saying that we don't need two coins released that are this close in design.

There's still enough ideas out there to make a lot more coins. Why turn this into a race to see who gets to market first and make it even more commercial than it already is?

Are we really out of ideas to the point that we (the community) want two coins produced that are 90% identical?

I know there are folks that use iPods for paperless caching and for playing music while caching so I can see the relevance to caching - I'm just saying that we don't need two coins released that are this close in design.

There's still enough ideas out there to make a lot more coins. Why turn this into a race to see who gets to market first and make it even more commercial than it already is?

Im not trying to make this a contest on who can hit the market first. This is the second time I came up with an idea and shortly found out it was already thought of after I put a lot of thought and time into designing it. Yes, its similar but that means there will be more of a choice for people. If you dont like mine, then you could buy theirs.

I guess great minds think alike. :wub::D

iCache_proof-1.jpg

ipodnewcompasbig.jpg

They are similar, but very different. I did NOT know until AFTER I posted my design there was another.

I can name several coins that are similar: pirate coins, holiday coins, compass coins, frog coins, plants. Should they have all stopped their designs because they have the same ideas? Like I said before, you will have more of a choice.

I posted my idea last night, it wasnt until TODAY that a post was made saying there was a similar coin in mint. I did NOT hijack any idea from anyone or anywhere! :D A lot of time was invested in my idea too, is my time not as valuable because its not minted yet?

Edited by SoCalGeocoins

Im not trying to make this a contest on who can hit the market first. This is the second time I came up with an idea and shortly found out it was already thought of after I put a lot of thought and time into designing it. Yes, its similar but that means there will be more of a choice for people. If you dont like mine, then you could buy theirs.

I guess great minds think alike. :wub::wub:

...lot of thought and time into designing...

Very rough artwork for such a statement. The other artwork is well done and paid for already.

Highjack in progress... :wub:

Anyone know who is doing the other design? I know who did the art but not the owner of the idea/design?

Highjack over untill response... Thanks :wub::D

...edited for...

Hey had another idea...why not work together like Windrose and I did on the Dreamcatchers. Two ideas put together to make one good Idea!

Edited by Atwell Family
...lot of thought and time into designing...

Very rough artwork for such a statement. The other artwork is well done and paid for already.

Highjack in progress...

Anyone know who is doing the other design? I know who did the art but not the owner of the idea/design?

Highjack over untill response... Thanks

It looks like it is Kimba Off Track

You can add all the pictures side by side, but these coins are nearly identical.

SoCal, on behalf of the other designer (have not talked to him/her) I would suggest dropping the idea and/or working togheter somehow. It is appearent they have put considerable time and money (paid for artwork) into the project already. They are well past the idea stage...let this one go, it is in your best interest for future projects...IMHO.

SoCal, on behalf of the other designer (have not talked to him/her) I would suggest dropping the idea and/or working togheter somehow. It is appearent they have put considerable time and money (paid for artwork) into the project already. They are well past the idea stage...let this one go, it is in your best interest for future projects...IMHO.

If the other designer has a problem with it then it should be up to them to say so. I was going to wait until theirs came out anyway so they wouldnt get "hurt" on sales, as someone else put it.

If the other designer wants to talk to me about it they can email me.

...After seeing the similar coin we halted our process. I think this time we are still going to go ahead and produce this coin since it is somewhat different. So Im going to be taking pre-orders for this design....

... I was going to wait until theirs came out anyway so they wouldnt get "hurt" on sales, as someone else put it....

I am confused now, you said you were going ahead and please place your per-order and now you say you are waiting? Which is it? :huh:

Edited by Atwell Family

...After seeing the similar coin we halted our process. I think this time we are still going to go ahead and produce this coin since it is somewhat different. So Im going to be taking pre-orders for this design....

... I was going to wait until theirs came out anyway so they wouldnt get "hurt" on sales, as someone else put it....

I am confused now, you said you were going aheard and please place your per-order and now you say you are waiting? Which is it? :huh:

If there coin is being minted right now then they should have theirs way before we get ours. They could put pre orders out now to avoid any problems on their sales.

I am confused now, you said you were going aheard and please place your per-order and now you say you are waiting? Which is it? :huh:

***************Just to clear this up*******************

We are halting our process until we have heard from the other designer and or their coin has come out. We will be producing it AFTER. Thanks to those who have emailed us with your orders, we will let you know when we will go forward with our design.

SoCalGeocoins.

What happens on the forums, people like to post rough ideas of what they think they might like to do. While in the background, people have been working on designs with Graphic Artists, etc.

Maybe if you would have posted some finished artwork or even a picture of your coin, the comments would have been more in your favor or more to, well, looks like 2 coming out, same idea...

This is one of the reasons we hold off on showing artwork to a large group or posting designs.

One last item, I didnt think Pre-Sales were meant to beat someone to the punch. Usually they help the person cover some of the cost in making the coin.