Garmin Handlebar Mount

Anyone out there have the handlebar mount for a Garmin 60-series? I have a 60CX and ride motorcycle caching when the weather permits. I was thinking that having the GPSr mount on the handle bar would be great as right now it just hangs around my neck. I like the idea of being able to look at it without a)taking eyes off the road and b ) taking one hand off the handlebar to hold the GPSr.

Are they sturdy? How does the GPS stay in place? GPS won't vibrate out or anything similar? Vibration from the engine cause any issues with the unit itself? (I doubt it, but thought I would ask anyway)

Thanks

Edited by MorganCoke

Anyone out there have the handlebar mount for a Garmin 60-series? I have a 60CX and ride motorcycle caching when the weather permits. I was thinking that having the GPSr mount on the handle bar would be great as right now it just hangs around my neck. I like the idea of being able to look at it without a)taking eyes off the road and :D taking one hand off the handlebar to hold the GPSr.

Are they sturdy? How does the GPS stay in place? GPS won't vibrate out or anything similar? Vibration from the engine cause any issues with the unit itself? (I doubt it, but thought I would ask anyway)

Thanks

I do not have either but from things I have read most people like the RAM mounts for cars and motercycles. You might want to check it out also.

I use the ram mount on my quads. No problems even when going fast in the rough. What I like about the ram is it uses a ball and socket connection, so it can attached to all different kinds of adapters. Just loosen the arm screw and cetached and attached to suction cup, handle bars bracket, even a flat bracket I use for in the boat.

I attached a stock GPSMAP 60 series dashboard mount to the handlebars of my new ride:

http://www.jannicash.info/blog/index.php?/...e-new-ride.html

At certain speeds (resonancy?) the GPS is bobbing a little bit, but not so much that it would become useless. Since the normal handlebar mount that attaches to a tube doesn't even have that adjustable arm in the middle I assume it would work like a charm (if you have a space on your handlebars where that can be attached).

Jan

I indeed have the handlebar mount for my 60Cx. It appears to hold quite good... except there's one fatal flaw with it (which I've attempted to rectify myself, actually):

It's made to hold ONLY the GPS. Now... if I'm whipping over gravel roads or whatever, I sure as heck want that GPS in it's neoprene case to keep it from getting muddy, scratched, etc. The handlebar mount is incapable of holding the 60Cx while it's in it's protective case.

Hence... I sanded and filed away much of various parts of it to allow it to hold it in it's case. It seems to hold, but I can tell that it's much weaker (the part near the bottom, where you pull it away to unlock it from the handlebar mount holder thing). I wouldn't really trust it at this point if I were to go over a large bump or whatnot. I AM however going to be giving it added support by means of some heavy-duty steel strapping bent into shape. At that point, it should be good again, but yeah... had to file away a lot of the plastic to get it to hold the GPS in it's case.

I also had to make a small hole at the very bottom of the case so that it could clip in to begin with, but that part wasn't covering the screen or anything.

I'd prefer if I could find a handlebar mount that moreso encompassed the GPSr and just left the screen visible. Maybe was spongy on the inside so that it could either fit without or with the neoprene case. Ah well, one can dream.

I have a RAM Mount holding my Magellan onto the bars of my BMW R100GS dual sport. It's given me many miles of service without any problems. In many cases, RAM Mounts are a bit less expensive than the OEM mounts too. More info can be found in these threads:

Motorcycle mounting 60csx

Automobile Ram Mount For 60cs

60c Windshield / Handlebar Mount, Get a grip...

Hope this helps

- Kewaneh

Anyone out there have the handlebar mount for a Garmin 60-series? I have a 60CX and ride motorcycle caching when the weather permits. I was thinking that having the GPSr mount on the handle bar would be great as right now it just hangs around my neck. I like the idea of being able to look at it without a)taking eyes off the road and b ) taking one hand off the handlebar to hold the GPSr.

Thanks

I have a Garmin handlebar mount for my Garmin GPSV on my ATV. I have been very happy with the mount itself. Although, I did have problem with the clamp portion of the mount. It cracked while ridding the rocky trails in the deep woods here in Nova Scotia. I contacted Garmin, explained what happend, and they sent me a new mount FREE of charge!!! :(

Here is a pic of the GPSr monted on my ATV:

gpsvbike.jpg

I also use a RAM mount on a quad. Works very well. The ball and socket allows lots of adjustment for the best screen position.

....Still keeping track of your milage, Ernie? Doug,(idahotravelers)

Hi Doug!

Great to hear from you!

Yes, still using your program, works just great although we sold the Fifth Wheel still have the Diesel Truck.

Thanks again for your work on the mileage program.