Event Cache: Can we charge $

I am working on/considering a fund raiser for a newer association in our area (PA) North Eastern PA Geocachers. I have a corn maze near by and the owner of the maze already charges an entrance fee for his part. But If I were to pre-record each stages coordinates and post them online as an "event" or the owner would hand them out as each geocacher arrived.

A portion of the entrance fee would be donated to the association and also a 50/50 drawing would be available for the general public and cachers that opt to purchase a 50/50 ticket would also benefit the association.

Is there an official answer to collecting a fee or receiving a portion of the regular entrance fee to the maze?

I think it would be awesome to combine a corn maze with geocaching as an event. But I dont know how to go about the entrance fee that the owner collects. (Because its an event & not a regular cache) having the cachers pay to get into the maze? Knowing its for fundraising reasons?

Any thoughts official or otherwise are appreciated!!

Charles

EMGT (Endless Mountain Geo Team)

It is OK to charge to cover the actual costs. If the picnic pavilion rental is $100 and 50 people attend, it's fine to charge $2 per person. If everyone is going into the maze and it costs $5, then they have to pay the $5. Disclose these fees on the cache page.

Fundraising and games of chance? That's really iffy under the solicitation section of the guidelines.

I suggest using your organization's website to promote contributions to the group, rather than a Geocaching.com cache page listing.

I'm not sure about the $ question, but I'd think it'd be okay since events are allowed at restaurants where attendees need to pay for food...but mine far from an "official" opinion

I just wanted to respond though and say that this is a incredible idea for an event! I'll keep an eye out for it, because I definitely want to go!

I too have struggled with this issue, and come down on the side of using geocoin sales and so forth as fund raisers and keeping my events free to all attendees.

I have, however, charged a participation fee when expense was involved, but only to recoup costs, not as a fund-raiser.

First let me say that I have held a number of quite successful events that cost nothing. Events don't have to be elaborate or expensive... geocachers will have fun in an open field with a picnic table, or in the free-use back room of a restaurant.

Others have cost a small fortune, from $300 for several to $900 for one event where we rented several pontoon boats for the weekend.

After a few in the $300 range I had to consider ways to recoup some of these expenses, and settled on a donation jar, labeled and placed on the sign-in table, with nothing said about it. Interestingly people left donations in it that in 3 cases came close to covering all expenses and in 1 case made a bit more.

I never mention the jar, just set it out, though at some events others have announced its presence and asked attendees to contribute.

In the case of my Pirates on Cherokee Lake event we spent two days cruising a lake to get 20-something boat-access caches and knew in advance that boat rental and gas would be high, so we estimated the costs and split it among all who chose to go on the 'cruise', but then had a dinner event that was free and open to all.

At one event at a state park I rented the banquet room for $180 and paid for a buffet dinner for 40, another $150. The donation jar was set out and raised ~$300, so the weekend event cost me practically nothing but my cabin and personal expenditures.

Your situation sounds much the same... perhaps that method will work for you - include the feature that has costs as part of the event, tell anyone who wants to participate what the costs will be, but make the Meet & Greet part of the event free to all comers.

If you are planning a big event, consider having a geocoin made for it and sell the coin for a couple of bucks above cost to pay your expenses.

Good luck!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'm not sure about the $ question, but I'd think it'd be okay since events are allowed at restaurants where attendees need to pay for food...but mine far from an "official" opinion

I just wanted to respond though and say that this is a incredible idea for an event! I'll keep an eye out for it, because I definitely want to go!

Great suggestions... thank you to all so far!! A lunchen or meet n greet thats free with a donation jar, with the option of paying the owners Corn maze at the cachers option to partisipate. Might sound better.

THanks for the suggestion.

Charles

Great suggestions... thank you to all so far!! A lunchen or meet n greet thats free with a donation jar, with the option of paying the owners Corn maze at the cachers option to partisipate. Might sound better.

Charles

While a great idea, the "free with a donation jar" idea wont work.

Been there, done that. In theory it should work great though! Its just like caches- simply put, when no one is looking at least some people will take advantage of a situation and not trade even.

I think in this case it would be ok. The location for the free event to the cacher, wouldnt cost me anything. He will alow us to use a portion of his corn maze (the entrance area) for free for a lunch or meet n greet.

This is for a fund raiser for an assoication so if people dont feel compelled to kick in a buck or two.. it didnt cost us anything anyways. It still will be a fun night or afternoon. We may have a bon fire event there :-) with free kiddy rides, petting zoo, kiddy maze, hay rides, punkin farm and food for sale by the owner. Its a win win for us and the owner of the facility.

Charles

While a great idea, the "free with a donation jar" idea wont work.

Been there, done that. In theory it should work great though! Its just like caches- simply put, when no one is looking at least some people will take advantage of a situation and not trade even.

It does work. Sure, some folks won't donate, that's okay... it's a voluntary thing, not a charge.

Same with caches - I put good stuff in them knowing it will degrade - so what, putting out nice stuff makes me happy. If someone leaves something nice, great... but I don't expect or demand it.

Geocaching will never be a profitable experience!

Some folks will take money out of the church collection plate - that's not a reason to stop passing it around!

My experience is that geocachers as a whole carry their own weight.

Regardless, I would plan my events around footing the whole bill, and if you get something back, great, that way you might be pleasantly surprised but never disappointed!

If recouping all costs is important, try doing free or cheap events. A pot-luck dinner in a local park pavilion costs nothing and everyone will have fun.

Even then you will notice that a lot of folks bring nothing but still eat what others brought. So? That's just people; most will bring something, that's good enough!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

The only reason i have said that it wont work is that i have had a very nice event with over 100 adults in great facility. Although not a GC event, the people who came were good people, and excellent members of society. The event was not cheap to host at all.

We received $5 or less in the jar. (It was several years ago.)

While we werent hoping to make any money it would have been nice to ease the costs of the event.

I think in this case it would be ok. The location for the free event to the cacher, wouldnt cost me anything. He will alow us to use a portion of his corn maze (the entrance area) for free for a lunch or meet n greet.

This is for a fund raiser for an assoication so if people dont feel compelled to kick in a buck or two.. it didnt cost us anything anyways. It still will be a fun night or afternoon. We may have a bon fire event there :-) with free kiddy rides, petting zoo, kiddy maze, hay rides, punkin farm and food for sale by the owner. Its a win win for us and the owner of the facility.

I think you will be surprised how much you bring in this way. Depending on the "cause" often more than you would if you charge a fee outright.

We have done in both ways as well as a mixture in events for scouts, Junior Achievement and other things we work with and have opted to use the jar/donation method only as more is realized.

As always, your mileage may vary. :lol:

Sounds like a great event ........how's about handing pre stamped tickets/tokens to folk at your 'free' event for them to hand in when they buy their 'maze entrance ticket' and then the site manager giving you 50% of what may or may not be taken on the corn maize activity as a donation to your group? You'll have an idea of how many folk asked for a token and will know roughly what to expect back?

Sorry to be nosey but why does your new association need a fundraiser? What expenses will you have?

Have a fantastic day anyway whatever you decide to do

Best wishes

minxyy

ps don't forget your public liability insurance! :rolleyes:

I am working on/considering a fund raiser for a newer association in our area (PA) North Eastern PA Geocachers. I have a corn maze near by and the owner of the maze already charges an entrance fee for his part. But If I were to pre-record each stages coordinates and post them online as an "event" or the owner would hand them out as each geocacher arrived.

A portion of the entrance fee would be donated to the association and also a 50/50 drawing would be available for the general public and cachers that opt to purchase a 50/50 ticket would also benefit the association.

Is there an official answer to collecting a fee or receiving a portion of the regular entrance fee to the maze?

I think it would be awesome to combine a corn maze with geocaching as an event. But I dont know how to go about the entrance fee that the owner collects. (Because its an event & not a regular cache) having the cachers pay to get into the maze? Knowing its for fundraising reasons?

Any thoughts official or otherwise are appreciated!!

Charles

EMGT (Endless Mountain Geo Team)

According to the guidelines the only people that can make this decision is Groundspeak. It is best if you ask them first as the guidelines say. Write Contact@geocaching.com and present your plan. Be as complete as possible.