MAC+Garmin

I don't have a Garmin, so I can't help you with software suggestions, but if worse came to worse and there were no native OS X applications, the MBpro (being amazing) can run Windows using either Bootcamp or Parallels (I'm sure you're well aware of this, it's more for others who might read this thread down the road)..

So you "could" use Windows software on the Mac, as a last resort.

I hope someone will post a native OS X solution, I'd be curious to know of any.

Here is a link that might be helpful for caching with a Mac and a Palm . . .

Mac and Palm

Although that cacher uses a Magellan GPSr, I would guess the program he mentions, GPSBabel+, will convert the .gpx file to a format for your Garmin . . . :(

I have a Palm M500 and have been using it with Cachemate installed for more than two years. You can get one of those for $30.00 on eBay, and that price should include the shipping.

If you want to spend a bit more money, a friend got the Palm Zire 72 (Silver Edition) and it is very cool. B)

Hi all, I have a Mac BookPro and I just purchased the Garmin 60csx. Now what? What software would you recommend? It came with a USB cable. Also what PDA would be good for paperless caching? Thanks

Getting a Mac to work with a Garmin GPS is a lot easier these days than when I first started geocaching. If you want to load maps you will still need either a PC or run Windows on your Mac (it makes me feel dirty every time I do it!). Garmin has been promising a Mac version of Mapsource for over a year now, but it has yet to be delivered.

I have hope though since they seem to be starting to roll out some Mac stuff. You can now get Mac versions of the POI Loader and WebUpdater.

The tool I like best to load my Pocket Queries on to my Garmin is a simple little app called LoadMyTracks. It won't manage your waypoints, but it the best tool I've found for loading information on to the GPS and is also useful for pulling off waypoints and track info.

If you want a more full-featured waypoint manager, check out MacCaching — I don't use it myself, but it might be just what you are looking for.

As far as paperless caching, I can't recommend CacheMate enough. It does exactly what you would hope, and comes in Palm or Pocket PC flavours.

Hope that helps!

Edited by coldstream1

Hi all, I have a Mac BookPro and I just purchased the Garmin 60csx. Now what? What software would you recommend? It came with a USB cable. Also what PDA would be good for paperless caching? Thanks

The MacBook Pro and the 60CSx is a good combination!

The first thing you need is "Load My Tracks" <http://www.cluetrust.com/LoadMyTracks.html> Load My Tracks will allow you to upload and download waypoints, tracks and routes between the MacBook and the 60CSx.

The second piece of software that you need is "Google Earth." <http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html>. You can take a track that you did and superimpose the track on Google Earth. You don't need Google Earth Pro to achieve this. All you need is the free version of Google Earth and a free copy of Load My Tracks.

National Geographic's TOPO! state series for the Mac may be helpful. Digital conversion of USGS topo maps of a state.

I'm sure you will get additional suggestions; these are my top two.

Edited by Barrikady

Getting a Mac to work with a Garmin GPS is a lot easier these days than when I first started geocaching. If you want to load maps you will still need either a PC or run Windows on your Mac (it makes me feel dirty every time I do it!). Garmin has been promising a Mac version of Mapsource for over a year now, but it has yet to be delivered.

I have hope though since they seem to be starting to roll out some Mac stuff. You can now get Mac versions of the POI Loader and WebUpdater.

The tool I like best to load my Pocket Queries on to my Garmin is a simple little app called LoadMyTracks. It won't manage your waypoints, but it the best tool I've found for loading information on to the GPS and is also useful for pulling off waypoints and track info.

If you want a more full-featured waypoint manager, check out MacCaching — I don't use it myself, but it might be just what you are looking for.

As far as paperless caching, I can't recommend CacheMate enough. It does exactly what you would hope, and comes in Palm or Pocket PC flavours.

Hope that helps!