Local School in lock down due to Geocache!

-Hawk-

There is a local cache that was placed on/near school grounds WITH permission of the principle of that school. This school's property is adjacent to the Highschool property and now, apparently, is a spot that the local H.S. kids like to hang out in doing what they like to do during lunch. I, as well as a couple of other local cachers have found this cache, and I as well as the others

I was with, questioned the locations integrity and mostly the container, which now I wish I would have mentioned to the cache owner, but thought at the time, that it was far enough from school grounds that it wouldnt matter.

Ends up today that a few of the kids of the Highschool (We cant for the life us figure out why else the kids would be at the location of the cache) ran across the cache and reported it to the school, and the school was then placed in lockdown. By the way... the container was a black PVC pipe with a screw on lid..which was stated in the cache listing.

A friend of mines mother is a teacher at this school, and mentioned that she was told not to come to work because of this, if you were wondering how I got my info.

My question is...Is this a placement issue, ( meaning where it was placed), or an honest placement thinking it was far enough away from the " Hang out " area , but use of the wrong type of container? I have my thoughts on this...what are yours and what do you think we as a geocaching community should do to prevent instances such as this to protect our hobby and the great reputation that I think we have? ( CITO etc..)

By the way this cache is "Disabled until further notice".

Edited by -Hawk-

(1)

There is a local cache that was placed on/near school grounds WITH permission of the principle of that school.

(2)

Ends up today that a few of the kids of the Highschool (We cant for the life us figure out why else the kids would be at the location of the cache) ran across the cache and reported it to the school, and the school was then placed in lockdown.

Was the principal off sick when (2) happened? Or does s/he just have a poor memory?

And can you post the GCxxxx number?

Not a geocaching story but it reminds me of something that happened at my college...

There was a "bomb" found in a garbage can in a park near the school. The school was locked down and the park closed off, and the "bomb" was defused in a big mess of foam...

Turned out to be a project from a lab. A lab that every single engineering student has to take (about 50% of the school)...some students threw it away after class. Now the school keeps the projects at the end of the term.

I thought it was kind of silly b/c if any student had seen it, they would have known what it was immediately; but to a non-engineering student..well, it could look fishy...

Geocaches should be clealy labeled as such to avoid this kind of stuff.

(1)

There is a local cache that was placed on/near school grounds WITH permission of the principle of that school.

(2)

Ends up today that a few of the kids of the Highschool (We cant for the life us figure out why else the kids would be at the location of the cache) ran across the cache and reported it to the school, and the school was then placed in lockdown.

Was the principal off sick when (2) happened? Or does s/he just have a poor memory?

This is one of the problems......Two different schools are involved. The two schools properties are very near, if not up against each other. Principle of school "A" gave permission. The cache container was found by students of school "B" and reported to School "B" an then School "B", which is a high school was put on lockdown.

(1)

(2)

This is one of the problems......Two different schools are involved. The two schools properties are very near, if not up against each other. Principle of school "A" gave permission. The cache container was found by students of school "B" and reported to School "B" an then School "B", which is a high school was put on lockdown.

From my understanding, lockdown means keeping the students in the building and allowing no one in or out without proper screening. It sounds more like this school was closed since your friends mother the teacher was told to stay home . Anyway, if school "A" is adjacent to school "B", why weren't both schools closed or locked down?

Edit: Even MORE clarity

Edited by Trinity's Crew

(1)

(2)

Which cache is it?

the container was a black PVC pipe with a screw on lid

Hiding a "pipe bomb" near a school is the worst idea for a cache I've heard of. These containers are pretty much a bad idea anyway, but in between two schools like this?

I agree. Even with permission they are not a good idea - and by a school? :laughing:

After the events of the last few weeks, it's no surprise that a school would go on lockdown prematurely.

A good point. The timing probably was not good for someone finding this cache. It's an unavoidable bi-product of the game we play. We are hiding things and to most who are not in the know, it is suspicious behavior worth reporting.

Here's a horrible thought for the day. How do you make a bomb look like something you shouldn't worry about? Write "Geocache Game Piece: Do not remove" on it.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Let me add that though I think the choice of container was poor, everything on the cache listing makes it look like a teacher placed the cache as a class project. If this is correct, and the cache was located on school A's property, then there should not have been a problem.

Everything is spelled out clearly.

If the principal of the other school got information of a suspicious container on the other school's property, this should have been communicated immediately to the other school. If anyone would be in danger it would be the elementary school students.

And as soon as the elementary school principal was notified, everything should have been cleared up.

I don't know what went down. I don't know who talked to who. But wasn't one of the big things we learned post 911 was the importance of communication?

I realize with all the craziness going on that it's easy to hit the panic button. But who do you really blame in a situation like this?

It appears that the hider was completely forthright with all pertinent information. You get permission to prevent things like this.

I was wondering why principal A didn't tell principal B about the cache. Surely if there was something dangerous enough to lock down one school, the principal should have called the other school to warn them.

Presumably because it didn't cross orincipal A's mind. S/he probably saw a "light, fun activity". We don't know how far school B is from school A, but if the cache is nearer to A, it most likely won't have entered into principal A's mind what school B students might think of it. That's just how people work.

Oh well. Another principal who won't ever undertake anything out of the ordinary, ever, just in case nothing bad happens. :laughing:

I apologize. I wasn't clear.

I didn't mean that the elementary school principal should have warned the principal of the high school BEFORE everything went down. I agree, s/he had no reason to warn anyone since geocaching is not a dangerous sport. (well, not as long as Vinnie and Sue aren't the hiders)

What I was saying is when the high school principal was alerted by his/her students about the package and decided to put the high school in lockdown, why wasn't the elementary school notified at that point? If they had been notified, then the elementary school principal could have cleared everything up quickly.

If the cache is the one I linked to above, then the schools are close enough to each other that a potential bomb or other threat would be dangerous for both schools.

My question: Did the principal who permitted the cache placement ever see the container? Given how the general public associates PVC pipe with bombs, I doubt the principal would have approved of the container had he or she seen it. And if the principal approved of someone leaving a potentially panic-causing container on school grounds, they are a fool.

My question: Did the principal who permitted the cache placement ever see the container?

Yeah, that was my first thought.

And the ultimate comment on this comes from the GUIDELINES themselves. And I quote:

For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public. For example, a cache hidden in full view of office or apartment building windows exposes a geocacher to being seen by someone who may think the cache search looks suspicious. Your cache may be hidden on public property, but there may be concerned residents on the other side of that property line. And, while an ammo box or PVC pipe may be a great container if hidden deep in the woods, it may cause alarm if discovered in an urban setting. A clear plastic container or a microcache may be a better choice. In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape. To reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache. Cover over any military markings with paint or a geocache sticker. Include an explanatory “stash note” inside your cache. Common sense in selecting hiding spots and containers can reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those who are unaware of our sport.

Hiding a "pipe bomb" near a school is the worst idea for a cache I've heard of. These containers are pretty much a bad idea anyway, but in between two schools like this?

Agreed. In that location a clear, marked container would have been the ideal choice.

It could be an honest mistake. Given the number of caches and cachers it's bound to happen. If they did their due diligence in contacting the principal then it could be an honest mistake...there are people out there, believe it or not, that have no clue what a pipe bomb looks like.

Edited by egami

I agree. Even with permission they are not a good idea - and by a school? :laughing:

I third the motion...I also wonder why this is not obvious to some.... ;)

What I was saying is when the high school principal was alerted by his/her students about the package and decided to put the high school in lockdown, why wasn't the elementary school notified at that point? If they had been notified, then the elementary school principal could have cleared everything up quickly.

Only if the elementary school principal had /a/ seen the cache before it was placed, and /b/ was able to get close enough to it - during the lockdown, presumably - to positively ID it. After all, the fact that there's a cache doesn't mean there isn't also a bomb. And once the solids hit the air conditioning, s/he isn't going to get invited over the road for a chat with the other school's folks.

Yes, GeoBain, That is the cache.

I too, thought it was for the most part thought out well and it appears to me that it was a class project so it was placed with the assistance of a teacher, so Assumptions are that the staff or at least the principle is aware that it is there. Myself, knowing the location I really didnt forsee the impact that this would have, it was a mere 30 feet or so off a parking lot for a restaurant on the back side of school grounds. It was placed probably .40 to .50 miles from the highschool back behind the baseball fields. The container, If memory serves me correctly WAS labeled on the outside of the container as being a geocache, but I think a Lock-N-Lock would have been a better container choice. Not sure if the Academy was in lockdown or not, as the Highschool was. The academy, where the hider of the cache is a teacher at, is ALOT closer than the highschool.

... I have my thoughts on this...what are yours and what do you think we as a geocaching community should do to prevent instances such as this to protect our hobby and the great reputation that I think we have? ( CITO etc..)...

Anything at any time can be reported for any reason by anybody as suspicious. Notice that I did not specify geocache?

Everything is at risk because of this.

Cache placement can change the odds of being reported. You said this cache had permission. It was good to go and still got reported. Was the spot a problem? I'd have to check it out in person. The only issue with a spot is when that location makes cache seekers more likely to be observed hunting the cache. Those are more likeky to get called in.

Is THIS the cache in question?

I was wondering why principal A didn't tell principal B about the cache. Surely if there was something dangerous enough to lock down one school, the principal should have called the other school to warn them. At that point, you would think it would have been cleared up.

Geocaching is a fun family activity suitable for people of virtually all ages. The only reason to report a cache you have given permission for is if in your crystal ball you can see "oh my, this cache is going to get reported as something it's not".

In other words, there was no reason. If a student had dropped their backpack, or machin shop project you could have had the same result. The shop teacher probably would not notify the principal that they are making "things that could be reported as suspiciouse becasue anybody can report anything at any time for any reason".

The OP doesn't say when the cache was placed, but wouldn't this location be off-limits according to the guidelines.

"Off-limit (Physical) Caches

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."

The OP doesn't say when the cache was placed, but wouldn't this location be off-limits according to the guidelines.

"Off-limit (Physical) Caches

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."

Reviewers will make allowances for caches that are placed at these places with permission.

Again, I did not mean that someone should have said something to the high school principal BEFORE the incident. I meant after the panic button was pushed, someone should have contacted the other school, especially since the suspected object is a lot closer to the elementary school than the high school.

And as we have seen a number of times lately, anything is subject to being problematic. Boston likes to blow up traffic counters as well as lite brites.

The container was not the best of choices, but as the OP states a couple of posts above this one, it was labeled as a geocache. A lock-n-lock probably would have made a better container, but people are on edge these days and it really doesn't take much for folks to go ballistic quickly.

Common sense has gone out the window in many cases.

Of course all I have heard happening is the school went into lockdown. No one said the bomb squad was called out. It is possible that school B talked to school A and figured out what the item was before it got that far.

It would be nice to know what the final fallout was over this.

I certainly hope the teacher didn't get in trouble.

And one last thing that might help. With a placement in an area like this, it might be good to have the cache page along with picture of the cache in the office so that everyone knows what's going on. Just a thought.

Some one from the UK/London should read this topic.

There was recently an issue where some hunters where seen to be suspicous and the police got involved. All geocaches in an area of central london regarded to be high-security got archived untill new guidlines were met for that area. Basically the some reviewers met with the Metropolitan Police and agreed them, along with providing details of the cache loacations.

I think it's been regarded as a great sucess to the story. Good it didn't get picked up in the press and could become any excuse for criminals "oh, I'm geoo-cacking officer".

The sadest thing about this topic is the last log on the cache in question:

My youngest son came home and said, " maybe you should quit geocaching."

(1)

(2)

From my understanding, lockdown means keeping the students in the building and allowing no one in or out without proper screening. It sounds more like this school was closed since your friends mother the teacher was told to stay home . Anyway, if school "A" is adjacent to school "B", why weren't both schools closed or locked down?

Our local high school was locked down yesterday, from what I read in the paper a lockdown means all doors into the school are locked, all students are locked in thier classrooms, and nobody goes in or out until the police arrive and determine it's safe.

(1)

(2)

Our local high school was locked down yesterday, from what I read in the paper a lockdown means all doors into the school are locked, all students are locked in thier classrooms, and nobody goes in or out until the police arrive and determine it's safe.

I believe you are probably right if there is an incident inside the school, such as a fight, or in this case where you want to keep children away from a potential hazard outside the school.

My wife is the Principal of a local school and when there is a perceived threat from outside the school, such as a fugitive believed to be in the area, the police don't come because there is no reason for them to, but the children are kept inside. They don't have recess, they don't attend classes in portable classrooms, etc...This is technically probably not a lockdown, but she refers to it as such.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

(1)

(2)

I believe you are probably right if there is an incident inside the school, such as a fight, or in this case where you want to keep children away from a potential hazard outside the school.

My wife is the Principal of a local school and when there is a perceived threat from outside the school, such as a fugitive believed to be in the area, the police don't come because there is no reason for them to, but the children are kept inside. They don't have recess, they don't attend classes in portable classrooms, etc...This is technically probably not a lockdown, but she refers to it as such.

I'm sure every schools policy is different. According to the paper the Police are called for every lockdown, no exceptions. In this case someone found a backpack with a note inside stating that every teacher would be killed. The note did not state which schools teachers were the target but since it was found close to our school they locked it down.

I'm sure every schools policy is different. According to the paper the Police are called for every lockdown, no exceptions. In this case someone found a backpack with a note inside stating that every teacher would be killed. The note did not state which schools teachers were the target but since it was found close to our school they locked it down.

As I said, what I described probably doesn't meet the definition of a "lockdown" She needed to keep children inside for a week or so because a nutjob was on the lam and suspected to be in the area. She referred to it as a "lockdown" because it was handled with many of the procedures.

I forgot to add. The container can make also play a part in the odds of the cache being reported once discovered. However I have not been to "how to make a bomb" school and would not know the first thing about what they shouldn't look like. Other than "A pipe bomb".
This is a good point that many seem to overlook.

Obviously a bad choice for container.

Otherwise, as RK said so well... anyone...anything...anytime...

I don't see any harm done here. The cache was placed with permission, most likely by someone at the school.

Schools get locked down all the time anymore. All it takes is a second spitter on the grassy knoll. :D (Seinfeld reference)

Seriously, the lockdown procedure is pretty standard. Any threat will do.

I had to laugh (after leaving the premises of course) a couple of years ago when my daughter's high school was "locked down" and everyone was "searched" as they came in in the morning because someone wrote a note saying something like "I could just kill somebody."

I would never laugh at the note or dismiss the threat, but i could not help but snicker at the "thoroughness" of the search, that is to say, there WAS none. The cops glanced briefly in backpacks as the kids walked by and held them open.

All for show. They wanted to give a feeling of security.

Ya think somebody should tell them that when the kids see that the dumbest dork in the school could have walked right in past the cops with an A-bomb in their backpack they DON'T get much of a sense of being secure?

All for show.

Current events: I heard that Yale took "decisive action" (their words) to make sure no mass murderer attacks there- they banned fake weapons in the drama department. :laughing:

i muse that if a space alien landed at an American school, he would report back to his planet "there is no intelligent life here." :D:D

All it takes is a second spitter on the grassy knoll. :laughing: (Seinfeld reference)
I believe that was Roger McDowell.... :ph34r:

I don't know who Roger McDowell is, but the "second spitter" routine was definitely a classic Seinfeld episode, definitely :D (Rain Man reference)

Roger McDowell was a relief pitcher for the Mets and he was determined to be the infamous second spitter. :D By the way, "K-Mart sucks." :D
My question is...Is this a placement issue, ( meaning where it was placed), or an honest placement thinking it was far enough away from the " Hang out " area , but use of the wrong type of container?

I'm a couple thousand miles away from that cache, so the only info I have is what you've provided, and what is given on the cache page. This data leads me to believe that it was a bad idea from both perspectives. Hiding a cache near an elementary school is generally thought of as a bad idea, and it's not something I would do even if I had explicit permission. Using PVC as a container is also generally considered to be a bad idea, both because PVC caches have a history of leaking, and because the uneducated might perceive it as a threat.

Had the container been a clear Lock-n-Lock on school grounds, things might've gone differently. Had the black PVC cache been hidden several miles deep in a swamp, things might've gone differently. Combining a poor location choice with a poor container choice is a recipe for trouble.

Just $0.02 from an ol' fat guy :laughing:

Bad choices is right! More sensible hiding locations and containers are in order!

Agreed, a little common sense was in order. Everyone should simply ask themselves when they place a cache is there the potential for this cache to cause harm (directly or indirectly). A cache that could be misidentified as a bomb near a school would easily flunk this test.

Bad choices is right! More sensible hiding locations and containers are in order!

Agreed, a little common sense was in order. Everyone should simply ask themselves when they place a cache is there the potential for this cache to cause harm (directly or indirectly). A cache that could be misidentified as a bomb near a school would easily flunk this test.

In that case, every cache would flunk the test. Well, that's not true. Nanos would likely still be OK.

If muggles can't find it they can't report it.

Thats the first line of defence. Everthing else is Plan B.

This only works if cachers replace the cache as found. When I visit my caches they are never covered as well as when I hid them. Every time I visit my newest cache it is almost always put back in the wrong place.