Memory For Venture Cx

How much memory would be more then enough for a venture Cx? I was thinking of buying a 2 gig chip but thought that would be a heck of a lot of maps. Figured i would ask before i go and buy one i would hardly fill.

Hmm can you load multiple maps on that unit? I didnt think about that. What features do you guys use the most that would require the space?

I have a 1 gig chip. This has allowed me to load City select for the Western United States as well as Topo maps for my home state. One thing to consider is that at the present time the size of your chip is not going to be the determining factor as much as how many map segments can be loaded. I believe the limit is 2024. If you are using older software like my City Select it takes more map segment then if you are using City Navigator NT. I will run out of map segments before I run out of memory unless I upgrade my software.

I have a 1 gig chip. This has allowed me to load City select for the Western United States as well as Topo maps for my home state. One thing to consider is that at the present time the size of your chip is not going to be the determining factor as much as how many map segments can be loaded. I believe the limit is 2024. If you are using older software like my City Select it takes more map segment then if you are using City Navigator NT. I will run out of map segments before I run out of memory unless I upgrade my software.

Hmm so a 1 gig might be enough specially if i have new software i see.

Just another point of view, the 2 Gb cards are only about $30, not sure how much less the 1Gb is but it can't be that big of a difference and hopefully the 2025 segment limit won't be there forever so I got the bigger card rather then replace the smaller one later.

I have the entire CN 8 US roads loaded and ran into the segment limit with about 4 or 5 states worth of topo added and still have maybe 200Mb free.

This may help shed some light on Mapsources map segment limit. Is from old thread I'd posted several months ago.

Something to keep in mind is that you are limited to 2025 total maps on your Cx and for Mapsource’s U.S. Topo there are ~5,187 topo maps for the continental U.S. (East & West) and this does not include Alaska and Hawaii. A good reason for Gamin to come out with a compressed (NT) version of topo maps or increase the 2,025 map limit.

These number may not be exact but are very close.

City Navigator North America v8 NT = 47 total map segments = 849.1 MB (continental U.S. only)

Add an additional 16 more maps = 97.5 more MB to include Canada

City Navigator North America v8 = 309 total map segments = 1633 MB (U.S. & Canada)

U.S. Topo East = 2,565 total map segments = 658.1 MB

U.S. Topo West = 2,622 total map segments = 648.9 MB

City Select v6 = 995 total map segments = 1,426.9 MB (continental U.S. only)

And yes, to your OP question. You can load any combination of Mapsource Maps at the same time: CN, U.S. Topo, Nat'l Parks, Metroguide, City Select, etc. and even your own Custom made maps.

Edited by eaparks

How much memory would be more then enough for a venture Cx? I was thinking of buying a 2 gig chip but thought that would be a heck of a lot of maps. Figured i would ask before i go and buy one i would hardly fill.

Hmm can you load multiple maps on that unit? I didnt think about that. What features do you guys use the most that would require the space?

B) Uh . . . how much traveling do you do? For my caching adventures, the 24 MB of memory on my Vista C is adequate . . . :D :D

I have both City Navigator 8 and Topo installed. You install the maps at the same time. On your PC, you choose the segments you want from CN. Then you change to view the Topo maps and choose the segments you need from it. As eaparks says, if you have other maps, such as Roads and Recreation, or custom maps, you switch the view to those and choose the segments you want from those. Then you send the maps to the GPSr.

B) Uh . . . how much traveling do you do? For my caching adventures, the 24 MB of memory on my Vista C is adequate . . . :D :D

I have both City Navigator 8 and Topo installed. You install the maps at the same time. On your PC, you choose the segments you want from CN. Then you change to view the Topo maps and choose the segments you need from it. As eaparks says, if you have other maps, such as Roads and Recreation, or custom maps, you switch the view to those and choose the segments you want from those. Then you send the maps to the GPSr.

I dont do a whole lot of traveling so i would just for kicks load up majority of Misosuri (where i live) and maybe a path way down to El-Paso texas for when i go help my mother-inlaw move. And thats about it.

Unless my company sends me somewhere on business then i would load the area map just to go get some caches.