Which GPS? Which Features?

We have been using a Garmin Gecko for the last 2 months since we started Geocaching. It is extremely basic so we would like to purchase a new GPS and want the most useful features for Geocaching. Which GPS would be the best all around? We have been manually entering coords in so there is no where to go but up.

We have been using a Garmin Gecko for the last 2 months since we started Geocaching. It is extremely basic so we would like to purchase a new GPS and want the most useful features for Geocaching. Which GPS would be the best all around? We have been manually entering coords in so there is no where to go but up.

It would depend on what features you want

Do you want a map display?

Do you want a color screen?

Do you want expandable memory?

Do you want a gps that would allow you to store mulitple caches files or map files?

Do you have a price range in mind?

I like my Exporist 500, it has all features above and use them all.

Some GPSrs will also have a Magnetic compass (Some call it an electronic compass) I have used a GPSrs with a Magnetic compass in the past, this is a feature I find to be of very little use.

Some GPSrs will also have a Magnetic compass (Some call it an electronic compass) I have used a GPSrs with a Magnetic compass in the past, this is a feature I find to be of very little use.

I bought a GPSr (the Garmin Vista), and having an electronic Compass was on the top of my must have list. I wanted that over expandable memory and color screen. Having done one cache without, and the rest with, I find the electronic compass invaluable. It's nice to be in a heavily wooded area, and move slowly and still be assured that the bering to the cache remains accurate, also a lifesaver when tryin gto triangulate the position without being able to move quickly in a straight line.

The compass isn't essential, but makes life a lot easier when you get within 300 feet or so of the cache.

Since you are a Garminite I will give you my $0.02 worth.

The GPSmap60CSx and GPSmap76CSx are 2 of the most feature rich handhelds on the market right now.

They have expandable memory for maps, color screen, autorouting, the SiRF III chipset, barometric altimeter and electronic (magnetic) compass. They will connect to a computer via USB or serial.

Going down from there the 60Cx has all the above except no Electronic Compass.

The Vista Cx has the features above but no SiRF Chipset, and no serial port, and a smaller screen

The Legend Cx is similar to the Vista, but with no compass and altimeter.

The Venture Cx is the same functionally as the Legend, but does not come with a Data card or USB cable. Some say this is the best value out there right now.

How about Magellan 210 ?

It's the 2nd cheapest at Walmart (Canada), the other is Garmin eTrex.

I will use the GPSr just for geocaching & hiking.

Last question: can I use NiMH AA batteries in the Magellan ?

Thanks.

Edited by cleo43

I bought a GPSr (the Garmin Vista), and having an electronic Compass was on the top of my must have list. I wanted that over expandable memory and color screen. Having done one cache without, and the rest with, I find the electronic compass invaluable. It's nice to be in a heavily wooded area, and move slowly and still be assured that the bering to the cache remains accurate, also a lifesaver when tryin gto triangulate the position without being able to move quickly in a straight line.

The compass isn't essential, but makes life a lot easier when you get within 300 feet or so of the cache.

I dont have the electronic compass. If you know which way is North, then the GPS still gives an accurate position of the waypoint.

Garmin's Etrex Venture Cx.

I started out with an Etrex Vista, then used a borrowed Map60cs for two years or so. I handled the 60CSx' from my caching buddies.

I finally decided to get a new GPS. You'd think I'd upgrade to the 60CSx or at least the 60Cx, but I just couldn't justify the price over the Venture Cx. Sure it has a SiRF chip and holds 1000 waypoints, and the CS' have electronic compass and altimeter, but that's about it. The 'lil Venture Cx has has everthing else for half the price. Plus, battery life is almost double 'cause it don't have all that fancy stuff; and I like it's smaller size and weight. It has the same features as the 60's: auto-route capabe; expandable memory; color screen; calendar, calculator, stopwatch, alarm clock, draws power from the USB port, etc...

The 500 waypoint limit is overcome with POIs which I love 'cause you can upload more (I believe up to 88 chracters) than the 30-character limit on regular waypoints. The # of POIs you download is limited to the size of the card you get. The Venture appears to have the same processor as the 60's in that I haven't noticed any significant delays, comparative speaking, in redrawing maps and calculating routes when auto-routing. The lack of the electronic compass can be overcome by reading your position off the satellite page. I have always regarded the altimeter as a gimmick. That leaves the SiRF chip as the only desirable componet of the 60 features. I'll just have to make more use of my geosense when caching :cool: . The Venture doesn't come with a data cable, but it uses the same as the 60cs and most digital cameras.

For $282 at Amazon, I got the Venture Cx, 2-gig card, DC adapter, carrying case, and a bike mounting kit. This was total price including tax, shipping/handling. The optional mapping software will add about $115; I didn't have to get one 'cause I still had a license left over from the City Select software I bought for the 60cs :cool: . You can use the cheaper MetroGuide, but it don't autoroute, although GeoDude can make it autoroute :huh: .

It would depend on what features you want

Do you want a map display?

Do you want a color screen?

Do you want expandable memory?

Do you want a gps that would allow you to store mulitple caches files or map files?

Do you have a price range in mind?

I like my Exporist 500, it has all features above and use them all.

We're really not quite sure about all of the features. I think we would like color because the gray is pretty hard to see at times. What of the other features would you say are essential for Geocaching? As far as price we are flexible although we don't really want alot of extras that we would never use. When you download cache files how are they identified in the GPS? Do you get any of the cache page info? Also with the maps, is the display the feature where it directs you turn by turn? What is your opinion on Garmin vs Magellan? We really appreciate your info!

Since you are a Garminite I will give you my $0.02 worth.

The GPSmap60CSx and GPSmap76CSx are 2 of the most feature rich handhelds on the market right now.

They have expandable memory for maps, color screen, autorouting, the SiRF III chipset, barometric altimeter and electronic (magnetic) compass. They will connect to a computer via USB or serial.

Going down from there the 60Cx has all the above except no Electronic Compass.

The Vista Cx has the features above but no SiRF Chipset, and no serial port, and a smaller screen

The Legend Cx is similar to the Vista, but with no compass and altimeter.

The Venture Cx is the same functionally as the Legend, but does not come with a Data card or USB cable. Some say this is the best value out there right now.

Would you say the features: electronic compass, SiRF Chipset & serial port are worth the difference for geocaching? How much bigger is the GPSmap60CSx than the Venture Cx? Thanks!