Geocaches on mailboxes (split from other thread

I think the Federal Govt claims and has ownership of mailboxes. That is why it is a federal crime to destroy or tamper with one that is in someones yard.

I don't think I would want someone near mine and I would not attempt a cache that was anywhere near someone's mailbox. There are people who will put caches in their yard. This is one example. Lots of people visit it (including me). He is even having an event at his house on May 20.

Legal - I don't know, but is illegal to tamper with the mail or an official mail container. I guess that would be up to the judge if you were tampering with it or not.

Appropriate - No, I don't think so. It might even violate the guidelines

Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types

For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public. For example, a cache hidden in full view of office or apartment building windows exposes a geocacher to being seen by someone who may think the cache search looks suspicious. Your cache may be hidden on public property, but there may be concerned residents on the other side of that property line. And, while an ammo box or PVC pipe may be a great container if hidden deep in the woods, it may cause alarm if discovered in an urban setting. A clear plastic container or a microcache may be a better choice. In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape. To reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache. Cover over any military markings with paint or a geocache sticker. Include an explanatory “stash note” inside your cache. Common sense in selecting hiding spots and containers can reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those who are unaware of our sport.

A good idea - Not even remotely good. How many other places within 50' could you find to hide that same caches. Think before you hide.

Legal - I don't know, but is illegal to tamper with the mail or an official mail container. I guess that would be up to the judge if you were tampering with it or not.

Appropriate - No, I don't think so. It might even violate the guidelines

Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types

For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public. For example, a cache hidden in full view of office or apartment building windows exposes a geocacher to being seen by someone who may think the cache search looks suspicious. Your cache may be hidden on public property, but there may be concerned residents on the other side of that property line. And, while an ammo box or PVC pipe may be a great container if hidden deep in the woods, it may cause alarm if discovered in an urban setting. A clear plastic container or a microcache may be a better choice. In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape. To reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache. Cover over any military markings with paint or a geocache sticker. Include an explanatory “stash note” inside your cache. Common sense in selecting hiding spots and containers can reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those who are unaware of our sport.

A good idea - Not even remotely good. How many other places within 50' could you find to hide that same caches. Think before you hide.

Precisely why I called it ignorant cache placement to begin with.

There was one here that came to the attention of a Reviewer. That cache was Archived. There is another one I know of that is still Active.

I don't think it is a good idea, especially in a busy area where a muggle is more likely to observe a cacher putting something on the bottom of the metal mailbox . . . :huh:

The only federal law that I could find that is close to being on-point is 18 USC Section 35:

Whoever willfully or maliciously injures, tears down or destroys any letter box or other receptacle intended or used for the receipt or delivery of mail on any mail route, or breaks open the same or willfully or maliciously injures, defaces or destroys any mail deposited therein, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

Sticking a magnet to the bottom of a mailbox cannot be construed as injuring, tearing down, destroying or breaking open the box, nor is it damaging any of the mail in any way.

When I was on a committee working with my local post office a few years ago, we were told that all mailboxes are the property of the USPS (yes, even the one in your yard or on your house) and that any form of tampering with it by anyone other than the home/property resident/occupant or the USPS for any reason is a violation of Federal mail tampering laws. Tampering includes opening them, affixing anything to them, physical vandalism, or virtually any other contact with the device.

Is that the truth? I dunno. That's just what they told us.

Edited by Semper Questio
According to this document it is not legal to use end-user mailboxes in this way. Why it'd be different for standard drop off boxes is beyond me.

http://www.gao.gov/archive/1997/gg97085.pdf

That document is about whether FedEx, UPS, or local contractors can stick items into your mailbox without paying for postage.

That is the primary topic. It also addresses the specific use of the mailbox being confined to the Service (USPS) and the end-user.

Probably not legal. Probably not appropriate. though to each his own I guess; reading through the highly polarized forum posts on LPCs its clear everyone likes different things and aren't always tolerant of those that like different things and happen to not be themself.

i have seen them under mailbox shaped containers meant for other things, but never a USPS box. Unless a non-USPS shaped box is the only possible spot in a really neat location; I'd look for somewhere else to hide it. its a quick find, but relatively unmemorable. I'd stay away from a USPS box. I don't mind the urban micro; heck its pretty much how I learned how to navigate my new town without highways when I moved! But maybe some clever camo, or something tricky? If New York City cachers can find spots other than a mailbox, i'd guess folks in most towns can; and there are a TON of cleverly hidden Manhattan caches.

But again, to each his own. Plenty of people out there are looking for the quick drive-by. Personally, I'd probably stop for it if it's on my way, but I wouldn't go out of the way for it.

Must you keep calling it that? I'm sure you could pick out more socially appropriate verbiage.

Ignorance and stupidity are two different things.

I guess I could use lame....but I figured that term was ear marked for LPC's.I guess caches that get the bomb squad could go in there to. :huh:

According to this document it is not legal to use end-user mailboxes in this way. Why it'd be different for standard drop off boxes is beyond me.

That document is about whether FedEx, UPS, or local contractors can stick items into your mailbox without paying for postage.

If you read on it says:

In addition to the mailbox restriction law, Postal Service regulations

provide that “every letterbox or other receptacle intended or used for the

receipt or delivery of mail” may be used only for matter bearing postage

and that any mailable matter found in mailboxes without postage is

subject to payment of the same postage as if it had been carried by mail.7

Postal Service regulations are broader than the mailbox restriction law.

The regulations restrict items placed upon, supported by, attached to,

hung from, or inserted into a mailbox.However, the regulations do not

apply to door slots, among other things.

That's pretty clear.

Must you keep calling it that? I'm sure you could pick out more socially appropriate verbiage.

I guess I could use lame....but I figured that term was ear marked for LPC's.I guess caches that get the bomb squad could go in there to. :huh:

I would argue that your fellow cachers who try to hide a cache for you to enjoy are neither ignorant nor stupid.

If you read on it says:

That's pretty clear.

Not really. Can anyone link to the verbiage of these regulations?
I would argue that your fellow cachers who try to hide a cache for you to enjoy are neither ignorant nor stupid.

While I agree with you about using different words, it does seem "ignorant" is appropriate. I was ignorant about there being restrictions about placing items on mail boxes. (though I did have a slight suspicion)

Ignorant just means they didn't know any better.

Still could use a different word, though.....

If someone places a cache that is a violation of federal law then that would be the definition of ignorance....unless they did so deliberately. Ignorance, in that context, is simply the lack of knowledge.

The only federal law that I could find that is close to being on-point is 18 USC Section 35:

Whoever willfully or maliciously injures, tears down or destroys any letter box or other receptacle intended or used for the receipt or delivery of mail on any mail route, or breaks open the same or willfully or maliciously injures, defaces or destroys any mail deposited therein, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

Sticking a magnet to the bottom of a mailbox cannot be construed as injuring, tearing down, destroying or breaking open the box, nor is it damaging any of the mail in any way.

Right Title, wrong Section.

Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (or to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000, or imprisoned for up to three years, for each act of vandalism.

It would be up the USPS and the judge to interpret if you were "vandalizing" the box. I don't think I want to take that chance. Do you?

If you read on it says:

That's pretty clear.

Not really. Can anyone link to the verbiage of these regulations?

I followed that link.

Not trying to be argumentative, but what's not clear about The regulations restrict items placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mailbox.?

That's what you'd call crystal clear for me.

Sure, you and your lawyer could find some "verbiage" somewhere that could get you out of any charges, but isn't clear that they don't want stuff attached to the mailboxes?

I followed that link.

Not trying to be argumentative, but what's not clear about The regulations restrict items placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mailbox.?

Sure, you and your lawyer could find some "verbiage" somewhere that could get you out of any charges, but isn't clear that they don't want stuff attached to the mailboxes?

Just because there are regulations out there somewhere doesn't mean that they apply to this situation. The regulations themselves might or might not be specific enough to cover magnetic micros stuck to the bottom of an r2d2 box. Without seeing the verbiage it is impossible to know.
I followed that link.

Just because there are regulations out there somewhere doesn't mean that they apply to this situation. The regulations themselves might or might not be specific enough to cover magnetic micros stuck to the bottom of an r2d2 box. Without seeing the verbiage it is impossible to know.

Would a magnetic box stuck under a "R2D2 box" be supported by the box?

I followed that link.

But until you find verbiage to the contrary, this does seem to apply to caches. I'm not sure if you're gonna a specific clause that states "magnetic key holders" may not be placed under the mailbox. That's why it states items

We're playing a game, and I don't think it's important enough to try to work around these stated restrictions.

Edited by Googling Hrpty Hrrs
I followed that link.

But until you find verbiage to the contrary, this does seem to apply to caches. I'm not sure if you're gonna a specific clause that states "magnetic key holders" may not be placed under the mailbox. That's why it states items

We're playing a game, and I don't think it's important enough to try to work around these stated restrictions.

Without knowing what these mystery regulations say, how can you be so sure that they apply?

Hey sbell i just got off the phone with the Postal Inspection Service. They said that to place such would not only be illegal, that not reporting knowledge of such a devise is illegal. After explain the possible fines and jail terms they ask if I had anything I need to tell them. I had to explain that it was brought up in a forum discussion and that someone was saying that it was not illegal. After a bit more discussion. He suggested that I read Title 18 in its entirety.

I think I got your answer.

IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!

If they are breaking the law and don't know it then I would have to disagree.

Thread going too fast. I was responding to two posts up. :-)

If you are replying to me then that reply doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry, replying to the one you were replying to. Basicly saying the same thing. :-)

I followed that link.

Would a magnetic box stuck under a "R2D2 box" be supported by the box?

Laws and Regs often define the terms that they use. It may or may not be precluded by the referenced regulation. Without being able to see the regulation in question, it's impossible to tell.

I would agree with you 100%.

However,I would still like to call the placement of the two bomb squad caches under debate in said thread ignorant.I shall do this because of the fact the postal regulations state a regulation against said act.The other was poor judgement of cache container/placement.

Hey sbell i just got off the phone with the Postal Inspection Service. They said that to place such would not only be illegal, that not reporting knowledge of such a devise is illegal. After explain the possible fines and jail terms they ask if I had anything I need to tell them. I had to explain that it was brought up in a forum discussion and that someone was saying that it was not illegal. After a bit more discussion. He suggested that I read Title 18 in its entirety.

IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!

That's funny. Do you have anything you want to tell me. :-)

IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!

Thanks, but I can't find anything in Title 18 that's on point.

Without knowing what these mystery regulations say, how can you be so sure that they apply?

They clearly say that use is for the Service and the end-user. That clearly excludes everyone else.

Also, I just called my local Post Master and he stated that it is illegal to attach foreign objects to mailboxes be it an end-user or public drop off box.

IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!

...and there you go..... THE answer.

I was a brand new cacher when I found one cache here that was attached to the bottom of a mailbox outside a busy grocery store in a strip mall. :(

Even back then, with my limited experience, that sure didn't seem like a good place for a cache . . . :huh: There was a newspaper rack nearby that wouldn't have caused as much of a stir if someone observed you putting a container on the bottom of it . . .

As I think back to the day I was looking for that cache, the coordinates of which put me in the parking lot about 60 feet away, that might have been the beginnning of the end of my desire to look for urban caches . . . :(

If they are breaking the law and don't know it then I would have to disagree.

Thread going too fast. I was responding to two posts up. :-)

If you are replying to me then that reply doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry, replying to the one you were replying to. Basicly saying the same thing. :-)

Gotcha. :huh:

IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!

Without a specific reference? No. Just because some flunky said something doesn't mean that it's true.

Is it legal,appropriate, or a good idea to place a geocache under a US postal service mailbox?

Discuss.

As I have referenced on this forum in the past, and as LA resident Tozanimboku has wryly seconded in his own posts, this practice is unheard of in my area (mountain region of Maryland, East Coast USA) but is commonplace in some other parts of the USA, and it is EXTREMELY commonplace in Los Angeles, CA. In fact, one LA cacher once told me that if all magnetic-keyholder-under-postal-box caches in LA were outlawed and removed, it would likely decrease the count of Los Angeles caches by 25%! :(:huh::(

IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!

Without a specific reference? No. Just because some flunky said something doesn't mean that it's true.

That isn't some flunky. That is the person that determines what is, or is not, illegal regarding mailbox usage. And, even if by some miraculous off chance that the courts disagreed...this is the "owner" of said boxes and it's obvious that geocachers do not have permission.

IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!

Ok, I have a test for you. Go place one today and then call the postmaster in your area and tell them what you did and where it is. Make sure the cache is clearly labeled with your contact information and please get back to us with the results.

IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!

A flunky?!?

This was a Postal Inspector. You know the people that enforce the postal laws. Title 18 is their bread and butter. I wasn't speak to the receptionist. He was an Inspector.

Here's their phone number give them a call 877-876-2455.

Better yet all call them back and tell them all about you. :huh:

It's a mute point THE authority has spoken and stated it's illegal. Case closed.

I think the Federal Govt claims and has ownership of mailboxes. That is why it is a federal crime to destroy or tamper with one that is in someones yard. ...

I have heard much the same thing. Even the one in your own yard is "theirs" but I've never seen the actual laws to verify the truth of the matter.