Vista Cx

I got to really try out my new Vista Cx and am worried that its really far off coordinates and hope there may be some answers of why.

My family went to a few caches and the coordinates where off on all 3 of them by a long shot.

Started with the Sherwood Cache "GCZTDE"

and then did the Round & Round "GCZTDA"

and ended with the mammoth spring cache "GCRTTZ"

I calibrated the GPS before we left. The 2 cache sites from Jeremy42-08 had different coordinates that i entered and i know i was in the right area but they still put us way off.

Here is what I logged. I dont know if you guys can actually help or not but its worth a shot. Also when i put my house coordinates in it actually puts me a little off on the gps as well more of on the corner of the block about 35 yards away give or take.

Sherwood Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6d-6551767c6287

Round & Round

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d0-599055297895

Mammoth Spring Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...12-07ae11bed23e

i'm using mapsourse 6.12.3 and gps version 2.70.

Thanks Guys

Since your Vista CX is new, it is certainly possible that it is off. Be sure you turn it on for a good period of time before getting to the cache to be sure it is locked in and at its best accuracy. I have seen days when it seemed my GPSr was off and other days it is right on. You also need to consider where the caches were located. If they were under trees or next to a cliff or other tall objects, it is possible the satellite signals were being reflected causing you to get erroneous readings. I would recommend going back to some caches you have already found and compare the coords on them with what you are showing. Also, if you can, do a side by side comparison with some other GPS units. I used to use a Vista C and found when the batteries were low that the accuracy seemed to be off. Put in some good fresh batteries before you make further checks.

Make sure your gps is set to the correct datum(WGS 84). do you have WAAS on? What was the units claimed EPE when having issues? do you turn the GPSr on for at least 10minutes before trying to find the caches? I've noticed larger position error if I just turn unit on at hide location and head out.

I was checking out Sherwood Cache(GCZTDE) and noticed the posted coordinates are way off from coords posted in the cache logs.

Posted coords: N968 W132

1st coords in logs: N828 W199

2nd coords in logs: N826 W204

Your posted coords: N839 W197

SO it looks like your GPS was only off to the north on the first cache.

The next cache you did, Round & Round "GCZTDA" posted coords are again off.

Posted coords: N36 31.655 - W091 32.131

1st coords in logs: N36 31.514 - W091 32.201

2nd coords in logs: N36 31.509 - W091 32.193

on this cache there is a so much diff in the coords in the cache logs you would need to average them and use the averaged coords. also this cache is a micro.... you could have been right ontop of it, by chance did the merry-go-round have any green on it?(The cache hint is "under the green")

The name of cache "round and round" make me think it's probably a magnetic micro on the merry-go-round.

On mammoth spring cache "GCRTTZ" it looks like your coords and posted are very close....

Posted coords: N632 W079

your coords: N629 W075

This is defiantly with the margin of error for any gpsr, at another time or day you may have been right on top of the hide.

Edited by hogrod

Make sure your gps is set to the correct datum(WGS 84). do you have WAAS on? What was the units claimed EPE when having issues? do you turn the GPSr on for at least 10minutes before trying to find the caches? I've noticed larger position error if I just turn unit on at hide location and head out.

I was checking out Sherwood Cache(GCZTDE) and noticed the posted coordinates are way off from coords posted in the cache logs.

Posted coords: N968 W132

1st coords in logs: N828 W199

2nd coords in logs: N826 W204

Your posted coords: N839 W197

SO it looks like your GPS was only off to the north on the first cache.

The next cache you did, Round & Round "GCZTDA" posted coords are again off.

Posted coords: N36 31.655 - W091 32.131

1st coords in logs: N36 31.514 - W091 32.201

2nd coords in logs: N36 31.509 - W091 32.193

on this cache there is a so much diff in the coords in the cache logs you would need to average them and use the averaged coords. also this cache is a micro.... you could have been right ontop of it, by chance did the merry-go-round have any green on it?(The cache hint is "under the green")

The name of cache "round and round" make me think it's probably a magnetic micro on the merry-go-round.

On mammoth spring cache "GCRTTZ" it looks like your coords and posted are very close....

Posted coords: N632 W079

your coords: N629 W075

This is defiantly with the margin of error for any gpsr, at another time or day you may have been right on top of the hide.

Hmm i'll see if i can get with a local cacher :) and maybe compare some readings.

yea the merry go round was my obviouse spot and my cousin was digging all over and my mom actualy tried feeling under the green as well but she said she couldnt feel anything but that doesnt mean much. I live all the way in republic, mo so maybe a local cacher can double check that one sometime.

I had my gps on for 45 min to an hour before we got close to the first cache. Waas is set to always be on. I expect the GPS to be off and even as much as i was off on the round and round cached but great clues would have put me under the merry go round too.

I'm leaving for Allen, Tx for a week or 2 on business so I guess i'll have to wait till i get back to get with someone.