Calling Lake District cachers/owners

We would be interested in knowing

1. The percentage of people who do not record their finds in the log book and/or on line. Does anyone have a feel for this and whether they're mainly family groups or individuals?

2. If there are any other organisations placing caches or similar in the Western Lake District. We've already checked Duncscott's Cumbrian letterboxes site and n***cache.

These questions arose from a meeting with a landowner to discuss cache permissions and it isn't appropriate to go into further detail at this stage.

Thanks for any assistance

MBF

1. The percentage of people who do not record their finds in the log book and/or on line. Does anyone have a feel for this and whether they're mainly family groups or individuals?

2. If there are any other organisations placing caches or similar in the Western Lake District. We've already checked Duncscott's Cumbrian letterboxes site and n***cache.

These questions arose from a meeting with a landowner to discuss cache permissions and it isn't appropriate to go into further detail at this stage.

MBF

Well I feel that I have a right to answer this, as I own a Lake District cache, I used to log all my finds religiously, but since December 2006 I have logged few with the exception of First to Finds. At present I have 1039 outstanding logs to write, ontop of the 793 logged, but a lot of them are not in the lakes, ooops add 21 to that as I did 21 with The Golem on Saturday.

Edited by Moote

MBF

Well I feel that I have a right to answer this, as I own a Lake District cache, I used to log all my finds religiously, but since December 2006 I have logged few with the exception of First to Finds. At present I have 1039 outstanding logs to write, ontop of the 793 logged, but a lot of them are not in the lakes, ooops add 21 to that as I did 21 with The Golem on Saturday.

You need to do some serious logging Milton......you need to stay in more :(

1 Everyone whos logged on the website for my cache has put it in the log book, currently 95% of cachers signing in my log book have also logged the find on the website - pretty much what I'd expect. There has been no sign yet of anyone accidently finding the cache

2 There's orienteering done in the area, but this will be mostly temporary placement of a series of markers(few days), I know of a couple of locations where there are more permanent placement of markers for orienteering.

Only other activites done in the area that don't involve the placement of a object/marker will be Wainwright bagging / Birkett bagging and trigpoint bagging

Edited by lakeuk

Hi

From the occasional look through the logs my feel is that most people log their visit. One or two caches have had visits not recorded on the website, but it's not many.

A significant proportion of logs appear to be from 'teams' ie at least two+ people. I think the largest no. at one time was probably 15 at one of the Safie series! This was two families and another cacher and was only 3 logs.

Apart from couples or families the numbers of logged visits seems broadly accurate to me.

Personally, I log my caches, and my DNFs! but I haven't done much in the western Lakes as yet.

Cheers :anitongue:

MBF

Am I missing something here? over 1000 logs not completed? Why go caching if you are not completing the logs? Remember the old adage 'the job's not finished until the paperwork is done'. Think of the cache owners who like to have logs recorded to see if their cache is appreciated. Why would we put them out if there was no evidence of people visiting them? Obviously not a stats chaser like some are. :D

Moote has his reasons. Anyway, the paperwork was done when he signed the logbooks, he just didn't log his finds online. Checking he was there just means checking the logbooks. Online logs are proof of very little really. It's not against any caching rules, and there are many people who enjoy the hunt, but not logging them at gc.com. Arguebly it's better if everyone does log online (warning of DNFs, damp caches, damage to the area, tracking visitor numbers etc etc etc) but it's not compulsory.