Enhanced OS maps on cache pages

Hi everyone, I'm sure you've heard from various sources that the little grey maps on cache pages will no longer be appearing. To be honest they were never much use, anyway.

People have countered the poor accuracy before with a greasemonkey script to replace this map with an Ordnance Survey map. I saw problems with this too - it looked distorted and the marker circle was not very accurate or even correct at times.

To counter all this, I have made a little greasemonkey script that embeds a draggable OS map (a little like a google map). It shows the cache's location on the map with good accuracy, and even all the child waypoints.

OSMcomparison-large.jpg

As with any of these useful tools for the geocaching.com website, it will require Greasemonkey and Firefox.

If you don't have a clue what this means, then continue reading. If you know what you're doing, skip ahead.

Firefox is a browser a little like Internet Explorer for windows. It is completely free, and more expandable with cool stuff than Internet Explorer. You may install it from here.

Greasemonkey is a little extension to Firefox, it allows 'userscripts' to be installed that enhance website functionality. When using Firefox, it can be installed from here.

Finally, userscripts may be installed by just visiting the link to them, greasemonkey will step in and ask whether you want to install it.

Enhanced OS Maps Substituter greasemonkey script install

(For anyone who wants to see my todo list, or the version history, take a look at this page)

Feel free to leave comments/questions here, I'll try and fix problems, and add features when I have time.

I add my thanks. It loaded and works beautifully.

I know what SidandBob are getting at, I think.

The new facility is brilliant when you know the area, as it identifies the actual spot. But, for example, I have a 'notify' on for new caches within a 50 mile radius and it would be useful to know the general area first. Would it be possible to add the zoom facility? That would be the icing on the cake for me.

Hi everyone, I'm sure you've heard from various sources that the little grey maps on cache pages will no longer be appearing. To be honest they were never much use, anyway.

People have countered the poor accuracy before with a greasemonkey script to replace this map with an Ordnance Survey map. I saw problems with this too - it looked distorted and the marker circle was not very accurate or even correct at times.

To counter all this, I have made a little greasemonkey script that embeds a draggable OS map (a little like a google map). It shows the cache's location on the map with good accuracy, and even all the child waypoints.

OSMcomparison-large.jpg

As with any of these useful tools for the geocaching.com website, it will require Greasemonkey and Firefox.

If you don't have a clue what this means, then continue reading. If you know what you're doing, skip ahead.

Firefox is a browser a little like Internet Explorer for windows. It is completely free, and more expandable with cool stuff than Internet Explorer. You may install it from here.

Greasemonkey is a little extension to Firefox, it allows 'userscripts' to be installed that enhance website functionality. When using Firefox, it can be installed from here.

Finally, userscripts may be installed by just visiting the link to them, greasemonkey will step in and ask whether you want to install it.

(For anyone who wants to see my todo list, or the version history, take a look at this page)

Feel free to leave comments/questions here, I'll try and fix problems, and add features when I have time.

I can thoroughly recommend the new script (and FireFox for that matter) to Cachers and I must thank Edgemaster for the time and effort spent implementing it. It has been something I have considered doing myself however Edge has done it first and done it better.

Philip

Well Done Edgemaster, and thanks for allowing me to be one of the Beta testers

Very smooth Edgemaster. :sunsure: I'd imagine it's brill for urban cachers, but as I never cache in urban areas I found the OS map had far more detail.

Any possibility of these features being combined with the OS map detail in the future?

Keep up the good work.

OK I cache both Urban and on some big hills, do I need a full area map, No as I use paper mapping and my MIO with OS mapping on the fell. All I need Edgemasters map for, is to get a quick general view, to allow me to see clearly where it is on my paper mapping . As for the old OS Map GM Script, it was OK yes, but it was somewhat harder to read. and was contained in an area of half the size of this

I add my thanks. It loaded and works beautifully.

I know what SidandBob are getting at, I think.

The new facility is brilliant when you know the area, as it identifies the actual spot. But, for example, I have a 'notify' on for new caches within a 50 mile radius and it would be useful to know the general area first. Would it be possible to add the zoom facility? That would be the icing on the cake for me.

There are map links on the side these can give you the general view of an area.

Excellent script Edgemaster :sunsure:

If only we could get it to work on the Review pages (which only reviewers see) it would be great but unfortunately it doesn't. Never mind, it's still a great tool.

Could I thoroughly echo what Lacto has said.

I am a late convert to Firefox, and the various scripts from Prime Locus's site and Edgmaster's certainly make the review process a lot more efficient.

Mind you if the script did work from the review page it would be awesome...............

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Unfortunately, the MultiMap service I get the maps from does not allow zooming, so I had to disable it. I am aware the view pane is quite small, I am intending to allow it to be enlarged to fill the page width.

I am also aware that the overview map was useful, I will try and get an option to show it.

However, this may be more difficult on caches that no longer show it.

Excellent script Edgemaster :sunsure:

If only we could get it to work on the Review pages (which only reviewers see) it would be great but unfortunately it doesn't. Never mind, it's still a great tool.

Could I thoroughly echo what Lacto has said.

Mind you if the script did work from the review page it would be awesome...............

It most likely is possible, but coding blind without details most certainly isn't possible.

I'm unlikely to be able to make many changes in the next month, I'll be extremely busy.

Unfortunately, the MultiMap service I get the maps from.......

Just wondering why you chose Multimap as the source of the maps?

If you chose Mapsource instead it would give a more international appeal for what looks like an excellent script. Unless your using OSGB to pinpoint locations that is?

Anyway well done on the hard work. I wish I could use it to it's full extent

Thanks for the good replies.

I'm happy to note that the reviewers are no longer left out. Barry Hunter somehow managed to get it to work for them ;)

(Oh, I forgot to mention I bumped the version number from RC3 half way through the morning, I had forgot to change it to final release, there's no need to do anything though, it's just a veeery minor change that doesn't effect functionality at all)

(I have also just licensed it under a very open BSD-style license, and credited myself in the script, as I'd forgotten to do that too!)

Edited by Edgemaster

I'm happy to note that the reviewers are no longer left out. Barry Hunter somehow managed to get it to work for them :)

Yes, thanks very much Barry. :) Your enhancement will make the reviewers' lives easier too, and hopefully cut a few seconds off the review time :)

I'm happy to note that the reviewers are no longer left out. Barry Hunter somehow managed to get it to work for them :)

Yes, thanks very much Barry. :) Your enhancement will make the reviewers' lives easier too, and hopefully cut a few seconds off the review time :)

as that little bulldog with the noddy head says on TV, " Ohhh Yeessss!" :):):D:D:)

I used to use the original Geocaching UK Map Substituter, and I have tried the advanced one, but it is much slower to load. Why is this?
Slower by what sort of magnitude?

I do expect it to be slightly slower due to the way it works.

The old script just had to find where the cache is and swap the old image for a new map.

The new script finds where the cache is, and all the additional waypoints (if there are any), swaps the map for a box, and the box is then filled in a little later with maps, controls, and the pointers.

I have to do it this way, as first I have to load some code from another site which provides me with a framework which I can build onto.

So, in conclusion, I expected there to be a slight speed pay off in favour of more functionality. I now have quite an aging computer, and it is hardly noticable, although I have not run any comparitive tests.

I will try and see if I can speed it up a little, but I won't have the opportunity to modify the script much in the next few weeks due to other (rather important) priorities.

Edited by Edgemaster
I used to use the original Geocaching UK Map Substituter, and I have tried the advanced one, but it is much slower to load. Why is this?
Slower by what sort of magnitude?

I do expect it to be slightly slower due to the way it works.

The old script just had to find where the cache is and swap the old image for a new map.

The new script finds where the cache is, and all the additional waypoints (if there are any), swaps the map for a box, and the box is then filled in a little later with maps, controls, and the pointers.

I have to do it this way, as first I have to load some code from another site which provides me with a framework which I can build onto.

So, in conclusion, I expected there to be a slight speed pay off in favour of more functionality. I now have quite an aging computer, and it is hardly noticable, although I have not run any comparitive tests.

I will try and see if I can speed it up a little, but I won't have the opportunity to modify the script much in the next few weeks due to other (rather important) priorities.

I've just tried it again, and it seems to run quickly now. It was taking 10+ seconds, so I guess there must have been a problem within my ISP that has cleared.

Sorry for any panic I caused!

???

Sorry - I came to this thread tonight as ALL maps have suddently been replaced by an endlesly puslating rotating sunbeam which now appears if you're using the original script it seems.

I can still click on the OS coordinates and be taken to Get-a-Map (thank goondess) but I can no longer see OS maps on the main geocaching page nor (more importantly) can I print out the pages with the OS map on the page.

I've downloaded the new script that everyone's raving about only to see a blank (old style) multimap screen situated next to the endlessly rotating sunbeam.

Turning greacemonkey off reveals that the maps on Geocaching have suddenly, without warning, been replaced by Yahoo Maps. Is this the end of the Ordnance Survey map replacement? A sad day if true as, although the Yahoo maps are better than the grey blanks provided previously, they're nowhere near as good as 1:50K OS maps.

... and I heavily relied on having the OS map fragment on the parchment while caching.

Please tell me I'll wake up tomorrow and find that this is a dream...

???

Sorry - I came to this thread tonight as ALL maps have suddently been replaced by an endlesly puslating rotating sunbeam which now appears if you're using the original script it seems.

I can still click on the OS coordinates and be taken to Get-a-Map (thank goondess) but I can no longer see OS maps on the main geocaching page nor (more importantly) can I print out the pages with the OS map on the page.

I've downloaded the new script that everyone's raving about only to see a blank (old style) multimap screen situated next to the endlessly rotating sunbeam.

Turning greacemonkey off reveals that the maps on Geocaching have suddenly, without warning, been replaced by Yahoo Maps. Is this the end of the Ordnance Survey map replacement? A sad day if true as, although the Yahoo maps are better than the grey blanks provided previously, they're nowhere near as good as 1:50K OS maps.

... and I heavily relied on having the OS map fragment on the parchment while caching.

Please tell me I'll wake up tomorrow and find that this is a dream...

Geocaching.com has just been upgraded (for that read "changed"). I quite like it initially, but there are various bits that they've changed that aren't quite right "a event cache by stuey", "a earthcache by stuey" for example. There are various other bits which I am sure will be tinkered with over the next few days. Unlucky timing for Edgey if it breaks the new maps.

Oh no. I feared as much.

The end of the spectacularly useful OS maps on cache pages for now then, to be replaced by mere road maps (though I already braced myself for this as OS maps were always a bolt-on feature reliant on the Geocaching web site).

NOT what I needed to hear tonight on a really bad news day all round for me. :blink:

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

Typical...

They break everything just as I release it.

Now, what do you want me to do?

Fix it, completely replacing the second map,

fix it allowing you to view the Yahoo one?

I'll get a quick fix out soon.

The square OS map is fine (though I haven't had the chance to see your new version as I only found out there was a problem tonight - I guess a more rectangular map with extra symbols?).

But to be honest - 1:50k OS map is much better than the repacement Yahoo map. I never used the "grey" map so I wouldn't see the difference if the old OS map completely replaced what was supposed to be there.

Please, get rid of the crap map and bring back the topo 1:50K. :blink:

But... be warned, Multimap's old interface is now possibly not that long around now that you can now get proper (allbeit rather curvey and slanted) OS maps from their new interface.

Typical...

They break everything just as I release it.

Now, what do you want me to do?

Fix it, completely replacing the second map,

fix it allowing you to view the Yahoo one?

I'll get a quick fix out soon.

The first Yahoo map (at the top) with the cache coords is quite useless and a complete waste of space IMHO.

The lower Yahoo map is slightly better. Better than the old grey one that is.

However, I would still MUCH prefer the OS map insert as of yesterday without the Yahoo map at all. Personally, if I want to look at the Yahoo map, I can always disable the script and look at it that way.

So my vote is for a "Fix it, completely replacing the second map"

Here's hoping you can fix it Thomas!!

And thanks again for all your efforts. :blink:

'So my vote is for a "Fix it, completely replacing the second map"

Here's hoping you can fix it Thomas!!'

If a penguin can vote twice - that's two flippers in the air, Thomas!

Get rid of the basic maps and replace with the *real* ones! I have no time for a "map" that tells me "it's near this town" when OS map can tell me almost where to park within metres of a cache.

All the best with your scripting!

Absolutley marvellous - working great! Obviously Edgemaster has got some swotting up to do and shouldn't be creating greasemonkey scripts for us lot, but does anyone know how to change the scripts for the Flash Earth, Local Live, Google Earth links too? They've disappeared now. Its amazing when Groundspeak change their website (which they are entitled to do, its theirs!) but its only then you realise how much you've (with others help) customised the experience of that website.

Edited by scottpa100

Help, I'm only getting the yahoo map

How do I get a n OS map

I downloaded the greasemonkey extension and then the OS substitute, but only have Yahoo, what have I done wrong?

Liz H

Me too until I went onto the link 6 above..."here".Give it another go!

Edited by currykev

Help, I'm only getting the yahoo map

How do I get a n OS map

I downloaded the greasemonkey extension and then the OS substitute, but only have Yahoo, what have I done wrong?

Liz H

Me too until I went onto the link 6 above..."here".Give it another go!

Apologies the wording in the first post wasn't clear enough.

To recap: Install Firefox, Greasemonkey, the script.

As The Cache Hoppers has recommended, there is now a Google Groups mailing list that I will try to update with each release.

Edited by Edgemaster

I'm fairly new to GreaseMonkey, and wonder if there are a few tricks I'm missing for installation of scripts.

Visiting the link above for both versions did not give an install option.

I was able to install the first version by viewing the user script source where I then had an Install button and it worked fine.

I get similar results with the new version but do not get the Install button when viewing the user script source.

Hope you can get me up to speed and able to use this excellent modification.

Regards

Colin

Thanks - that's great!

One quick request though - the OS map (nor the Yahoo map) no longer appears in the "make page print friendly" version when the script is operating, which is the version I usually print to go out in the field. Is there any chance of making it work there?

On a more serious note (and probably not something that can be fixed with a GM script), there's no reference whatsoever to the cache's reference number on the print friendly version of the cache page any more. It's repaced with GCXXX in the header and appears nowhere else on the page.

Plus, what on earth is the British Grid they refer to in Other Conversions? It's a completely different coordinate to the one for the cache as far as I can tell... One of my caches is located at SN66878 17814 but the British Grid given on Other Conversions places it in the middle of Cardigan Bay, when plugged into the OS Getamap service.

Plus, what on earth is the British Grid they refer to in Other Conversions? It's a completely different coordinate to the one for the cache as far as I can tell... One of my caches is located at SN66878 17814 but the British Grid given on Other Conversions places it in the middle of Cardigan Bay, when plugged into the OS Getamap service.

Already reported to TPTB :D