Explorist 500 waypoints

Has anyone tried this and does it work?

Yes, it works. The waypoints don't have the 200 limit. They also don't have the custom geocache icons. Worth it? Depends on your preferences. I prefer to use multiple 200 cache files and switch between them as I travel, keeping the geocaching functions. (hints, icons, marking as found, etc.). Others prefer the larger file.

Yes, it works. The waypoints don't have the 200 limit. They also don't have the custom geocache icons. Worth it? Depends on your preferences. I prefer to use multiple 200 cache files and switch between them as I travel, keeping the geocaching functions. (hints, icons, marking as found, etc.). Others prefer the larger file.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give it a try. Maybe have both on the unit.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give it a try. Maybe have both on the unit. What's the best way to get them into the Explorist? I use GSAK. Can they be loaded from there?

You can use GSAK, just have it specify .upt files instead of .gs files.

The regular POI (.upt) files have a limit of 500, but bear in mind that still only 200 of those 500 can have comments associated with them. The main advantage cited by those who prefer to use regular POIs instead of Geocaching POIs is that the Regulars can be edited and/or deleted in the field.

Adding to what was said above: When you create the POI file in GSAK, name it with the .upt extension. Place it in the main POI folder or subfolder, and make the file active.

You have a 20 character waypoint name to work with, so you can use special tags to customize the name.

You might try: %smart=8 %drop2 %typ1 %con1 %dif1

This will give you the name of the cache, cut to 8 characters "smartly", the GC number without GC, the type of cache in one letter, the container size in one letter, and the difficulty in one number.

Here is an example: Brasscac XBDN M R 3.

This is for "The Brass Cache", GCXBDN, a Multi cache, Regular size container, difficulty 2. (It gives a number 3 because it is the 3rd number is assigned to 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3,3.5, 4, 4.5, 5)

Adding to what was said above: When you create the POI file in GSAK, name it with the .upt extension. Place it in the main POI folder or subfolder, and make the file active.

You have a 20 character waypoint name to work with, so you can use special tags to customize the name.

You might try: %smart=8 %drop2 %typ1 %con1 %dif1

This will give you the name of the cache, cut to 8 characters "smartly", the GC number without GC, the type of cache in one letter, the container size in one letter, and the difficulty in one number.

Here is an example: Brasscac XBDN M R 3.

This is for "The Brass Cache", GCXBDN, a Multi cache, Regular size container, difficulty 2. (It gives a number 3 because it is the 3rd number is assigned to 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3,3.5, 4, 4.5, 5)

When you say place it in the main POI folder or subfolder, do you mean in MY POI's? Also, I've never used smart tags before but would like to try what you said. How do I go about doing this? Can it be done to all the files at once, or do they have to be individually edited. Talk to me like I'm a complete idiot so I will understand what to do ;)

So far I filtered my GSAK caches to show all the ones I have not found and saved them into a .upt file and dragged them into my Explorist MY POI folder. They show up fine on the screen. I would loke to modify this to show the info. you said could be displayed with tags.

Thanks