Reading the cache page--who does it?

I would imagine that many geocachers don't read the entire published cache page, and are primarily interested in the coordinates, a few tidbits of info, and perhaps the clue before they are off to find the cache.

Do you?

I really enjoy all the effort some geocachers put into their final published page, and read it carefully for clues, puns, word play, or other humor they intended for the finder to enjoy. I'll enjoy the journey even more, if I understand what the cache owner is trying to convey on paper, and often pay close attention at GZ to really see what it is the owner has written about--whether it's in the cache name, clue, or story told on the cache page. Historical content about the area or clue are of most interest, and I really enjoy those finds.

I've read enough logs that started "Well, I didn't read the cache page ahead of time so I had a really hard time finding the cache" to make me a believer in reading the cache page. Of course, there have been times when I only have my GPS & not my PDA in the field, and I've gone for it anyways, but...

RIIIIIIGHT!

That's like asking a (real) man if he reads the instructions before (insert any activity here- especially "some assembly required" projects). :)

It is interesting because i like to write up nice cache pages (or at least I did a few times) and honestly i can't imagine very many people reading them all the way through.

This would make an interesting poll.

I read them sometimes, but only if the description catches my attention, much as would be the case in any well written prose.

Most times, I just measure the distance from my car to the cache with Delorme, sometimes look at the clue with GSAK, and "take off" with my compass. But that's just my style.

Generally if I do read the whole thing it is just for entertainment (boredom actually) whilst at home "arm chair caching."

Unless its some long drawn out boring story we read the info.

When we cache we take our time to enjoy the places we visit, not rush to the next cache. We would rather have one good one a day than 25 we are rushing to get. The info might include a something we could learn/see/visit/do in the area. We love using caching to teach the kids stuff.

Today we learned about an old trail that was a driveway for a old farm, mastodon bones, animal tracks, a natural spring and a lock for small boats. I wonder if i sound like Charlie Browns teacher when i talk to my kids?

I would imagine that many geocachers don't read the entire published cache page, and are primarily interested in the coordinates, a few tidbits of info, and perhaps the clue before they are off to find the cache.

Do you?

I really enjoy all the effort some geocachers put into their final published page, and read it carefully for clues, puns, word play, or other humor they intended for the finder to enjoy. I'll enjoy the journey even more, if I understand what the cache owner is trying to convey on paper, and often pay close attention at GZ to really see what it is the owner has written about--whether it's in the cache name, clue, or story told on the cache page. Historical content about the area or clue are of most interest, and I really enjoy those finds.

Yes, about 80% of the time. I usually take time to thank the owner/author if the cache page is well written and has something interesting, funny, or useful on it.

Do you?

Absolutely!

Some are well written. Some have information without which you will never find that cache. Besides if you just dl the coordinates you could find yourself looking for an archived and removed cache, like my son did once! :)

I usually do...Several times. Usually a couple times at home, to help decide if its a cache I'm interested in doing.

I figure if someone takes the time to write a nice, interesting description, then they've probably put some decent effort into the cache itself.

Then while hunting the cache, I'll pull out the PDA and read through it again to make sure I didnt miss anything. Then I'll go through it again, if we are having difficulties figuring out or locating the cache.

I figure there are many people out there who dont read them, and will end up shortcutting on my cache, or missing important details.

I like doing history based caches myself, so what I do is put everything that needs to be known about the cache itself to find it in the short description, at the beginning of the page.

Then I'll put the history lesson in the long description. That way if people get bored and dont finish it, they already have everything they need.

here's an example: Bluestone

Do you?

Absolutely!

Some are well written. Some have information without which you will never find that cache. Besides if you just dl the coordinates you could find yourself looking for an archived and removed cache, like my son did once! :)

For that, you need only look at the title. If it's archived it's even coloured red for you.

I imagine just about any cacher who has been around the block a few times has looked for hours and DNF'd, only to go home, look up the cache and see that it had been archived.

A few years ago, before I discovered GSAK and before there were THOUSANDS of caches in Indiana, I used a binder with printed cache pages. Happened quite often with that method.

The real beauty of GSAK is being ABLE to read the whole cache page when out and about if desired.

With GSAK modern wireless internet solutions, the "I didn't have all the information" excuse is just about out the window.

If you really want people to read your cache page then make yuor cache a puzzle cache! Bha ha ha!! :)

Well, I've gone looking for them without knowing they were puzzles before. All it takes is a wrong icon on my map. :)

I usually don't look long though... most bogus coordinates end up in places that are not inviting to search (to say the least).

The ones that really get me are those traditional caches that say "go to the coordinates and walk 50 paces west."

Ya, know, if you don't read the page... BLAME........... PRESIDENT BUSH! :)

I generally read the page, but when it starts getting into a full history of the area and other non-essential information I tend to skip it. Pretty much it's scan the page to see if I'm going to like it. Then read enough to see how to hunt it. If I become more interested in reading more, I do.

How the cache page looks to me:

Coordinates

blah, blah, blah

hint

Oh yeah.

I generally skim the cache page when I log. I use the write up to jog my unreliable memory, and will echo something from the write up back to the cache owner.

And I read it if I'm having trouble with the find.

I do wish cachers would put the basic "about the cache" stuff in the short description and not buried somewhere in the treatise about their high school days or where they got the jeep stuck.....

For the past year or so, I've added a touch of excitement to my cache hunts. I pretty much go in "COLD", having nothing more than the coords and cache name loaded in the GPSr. Of course I DO exclude puzzle caches from my list when doing this. My technique is to look for a micro or nano, figuring I'll spot anything bigger if that is what it is. (or trip over it) Last weekend I was 22 for 25. Actually, one of the DNFs was really a "Did not hunt" due to fishing muggles present at GZ.

Sometimes I cache with a partner who has a blackberry, but we only break that out for help after at least a 20 minute search.

Coordinates

blah, blah, blah

hint

:)

That's too bad. I generally put some effort into my pages. I suppose the amount of effort that goes into a hide, is proportional to the amount of effort that goes into the page? I've been hiding caches at locations with historical significance(that would be a nice attribute to have) or something with odd or unusual local interest.

There is also the possiblilty of that second 'blah' being the hint. :)

I have probably missed out on some cool facts and information, as i don't tend to read the cache description very often. Using GSAK, i download the name of the cache, coordinates, type of cache, size, and difficulty levels into the gpsr. That information pretty much gets us a find on most caches but there are always those few that we get stuck on. That is when we get to reading the cache page! :)

Do you?

I too enjoy the history behind cache locations, and appreciate the effort it takes to discover the information.

This cache: Natural Fort Reprise continues to be one of our favorites because of the history.

From their example, we've created a few caches with history in the listings: Remembering Jim and Sandstone Loop. I enjoyed discovering the history of the area. If people read/appreciate that, then that's cool. If they see 'blah, blah, blah,' I'm OK with that too.

Always! Being that I put a lot of thought into what goes on my pages, it's disappointing to see that so many don't read them. I guess I should have been clued in when I put "Please do not bushwhack here" in bold on one cache but still got log after log saying that they did just that. At least I can assume those same people missed my warning about the horrible flies in the area and suffered for their lack of preparation.

I generally read the page, but when it starts getting into a full history of the area and other non-essential information I tend to skip it. Pretty much it's scan the page to see if I'm going to like it. Then read enough to see how to hunt it. If I become more interested in reading more, I do.

Thats too bad that people think like this.

For a cache like myF6F-5K Hellcat Drone Wrecksite cache, the history lesson behind the spot, makes the cache. It's just a spot in the middle of the desert with metal shards from a 51 yr old crash site.

Another cache series of mine where the history behind the caches, is worth taking the time to read. The Llano Del Rio Geocache

I think its funny when cachers DNF on one of my hard caches, because they were just "chasing the nearest waypoint."

For a cache like myF6F-5K Hellcat Drone Wrecksite cache, the history lesson behind the spot, makes the cache. It's just a spot in the middle of the desert with metal shards from a 51 yr old crash site.

Another cache series of mine where the history behind the caches, is worth taking the time to read. The Llano Del Rio Geocache

I think its funny when cachers DNF on one of my hard caches, because they were just "chasing the nearest waypoint."

I agree.

Do you?

Cache page?

I download coordinates into my GPS with the 'name' altered so I have the pertinent information (part of the GC#, type/container/difficulty/terrain) and roll with it.

Obviously if I'm flying w/o pages, I don't always download, or choose multi's & puzzles, but for the most part, it works well. And yes, sometimes I do wish I had the cache page with me!

michelle

I can stay home and read history. No, really, I can. I don't really have the time or the inclination to keep my nose buried in a tiny PDA screen reading a bunch of non-essential information. I can't tell you how many history lessons I've skipped while in the field.

It's not that I'm "chasing waypoints," but more of "I've got better things to do."

I feel sorry for those that dont read the pages. In fact i can think of several caches where its not a good thing. I know of more than one cache that tells you a certain way to find it/go to it. If people decide on their own and take the wrong way the cache will be archived. I would hate to think that a nice cache would be ruined by those who dont read the cache descriptions.

I am thinking of another one where certain unmarked parking spots are never to be used. If these parking spots are used, then the cache will be archived.

Please at least read the important details.

I feel sorry for those that dont read the pages. In fact i can think of several caches where its not a good thing. I know of more than one cache that tells you a certain way to find it/go to it. If people decide on their own and take the wrong way the cache will be archived. I would hate to think that a nice cache would be ruined by those who dont read the cache descriptions.

I am thinking of another one where certain unmarked parking spots are never to be used. If these parking spots are used, then the cache will be archived.

This sounds like a game... "I'm thinking of something that is... metal... and green... and sits on the ground."

-=-

If a cache hider places a cache in an area that is NOT marked and is SO sensitive, that any 'disobedience' by the non-cache-page-reading-cacher will equate to it's archival, then perhaps that cache shouldn't be there.

Most "No Trespassing" areas are, amazingly enough, marked as such, and as every good geocacher knows, they shouldn't travel in that area. 9.9 times out of 10, we don't need to read a cache page to figure that out.

michelle

If a cache hider places a cache in an area that is NOT marked and is SO sensitive, that any 'disobedience' by the non-cache-page-reading-cacher will equate to it's archival, then perhaps that cache shouldn't be there.

Most "No Trespassing" areas are, amazingly enough, marked as such, and as every good geocacher knows, they shouldn't travel in that area. 9.9 times out of 10, we don't need to read a cache page to figure that out.

michelle

Hmmm. One is near an airport and should not be accessed from their property although it may seem easy to, and another is at a fire station. The chief kindly permitted the cache with one instruction. Never park in the front parkings spots as they are for the firemen to park in an emergency so they can get out quickly. Only use the parking in the back to avoid any chance of slowing us down.

Its a nice place to visit, but its their property and they make the rules.

michelle

Hmmm. One is near an airport and should not be accessed from their property although it may seem easy to, and another is at a fire station. The chief kindly permitted the cache with one instruction. Never park in the front parkings spots as they are for the firemen to park in an emergency so they can get out quickly. Only use the parking in the back to avoid any chance of slowing us down.

Its a nice place to visit, but its their property and they make the rules.

Again, if the area is SO extremely sensitive that specific rules need to be followed to get that cache or it will lead to the cache being archived, then it probably ought not be listed... you cannot guarantee that someone (or MANY someone's) will follow all of your cache rules and more often than not, you need to consider the fact that you're playing to the lowest common denominator here.

There are a LOT of people who don't bother to read the cache pages because over time they've realized there's a lot of fluff and very little of importance to finding the cache written there.

I TOTALLY agree with Saxy's post...

Coordinates

blah, blah, blah

hint

:)

Except for the hint part. We don't need no hints...

Give me the coordinates. Make sure you've listed your container, terrain, and difficulty properly and I'm outta here.

michelle

I always read the cache pages . . . but usually it is after I have found the cache and I'm logging my find. :) I have the information in my Palm when I am on the cache hunt, but if the description is long, I won't read all of that info in the field. Many times, to my detriment . . . :)

For instance, when I see, at the time I am logging the cache, that it clearly says: "You do not have to leave the trail to find the cache." and I remember how my caching partner and I looked for 15 minutes in the large pile of rocks where the GPSr zeroed out. icon_smile_blush.gif

Whether I think people will read my caches pages, or not, I like to dress up my cache descriptions, like I did for this cache and this cache. icon_smile_big.gif

michelle

I disagree with you on this, big time.

Around here, if you stuck to this, you'ld miss half the caches, and they'ld be quite a few of the best as well.

Not to mention, this thinking would eliminate just about all of the caches that happen to be along any Rails-to-Trails throughout the country.

I actually enjoy building a cache page with clues and a good story, but have come to recognize that many people don't actually care. For them, the story, or bla bla bla part, is sometimes preceded by my note: "There are no clues in the text below this point".

Interested parties may wish to read further and gain the full appreciation intended--uninterested parties might already be half-way out the door at this point, and won't need any of the fluff anyway.

Again, if the area is SO extremely sensitive that specific rules need to be followed to get that cache or it will lead to the cache being archived, then it probably ought not be listed... you cannot guarantee that someone (or MANY someone's) will follow all of your cache rules and more often than not, you need to consider the fact that you're playing to the lowest common denominator here.

This is so true. It's not just the folks that don't read the description, either, but some will knowingly and willfully disregard special instructions.

I've come to the conclusion that a traditional cache in a sensitive area that requires special instructions is self-defeating. You have to lead folks by the nose--force them to comply. If you can't, then you're simply asking for trouble.

I know of more than one cache that tells you a certain way to find it/go to it. If people decide on their own and take the wrong way the cache will be archived. I would hate to think that a nice cache would be ruined by those who dont read the cache descriptions.

If a particular approach is critical, make the cache a multi cache. If a particular parking spot is critical use the waypoints tool then every one will see those coords and those premium members that download .gpx files will have them in their units. Use attributes for the 24/7 or not stuff.

I read cache pages when caches have high terrain or difficulty, and when I'm already there not finding. Otherwise, not until I'm logging. If I want to read, I'll stay home with a book.

Signs?

What signs? Assuming the cache is not in a park and on private property- maybe the property owner just doesnt want people wandering around at night. They need to put up signs?

It just seems to me that there are so many reason to read the descriptions. Maybe there should be an category for caches where description reading is not necessary.

I would guess that I am about 90 - 10.

About 90% of the time I will read the description before heading to the cache or while on site. Occasionally, maybe 10%, all I have is the GPS and the coords but not real often.

I know I try to put some effort into most of my listing pages and I respect that others have done the same. I read not just for clues but to try and find the reason for a cache being there.

Some seemingly lame caches that my family has gone to turned into interesting adventures because of the description and facts written up in the text of the description.

If a particular approach is critical, make the cache a multi cache. If a particular parking spot is critical use the waypoints tool then every one will see those coords and those premium members that download .gpx files will have them in their units. Use attributes for the 24/7 or not stuff.

I read cache pages when caches have high terrain or difficulty, and when I'm already there not finding. Otherwise, not until I'm logging. If I want to read, I'll stay home with a book.

The parking waypoints makes sense but it just seems odd as i remember a thread where lots of people claimed that parking waypoints are unnecessary and some didnt use them as it was part of the fun of the hunt to find parking. Maybe some of those people wouldn't use the waypoints anyway.

In the cache i am thinking of- the waypoints wouldnt make any difference as you see a parking lot and you want to park there. How would you know to park here or 50 feet in another direction?

Do the attributes show up when going paperless? They dont in my PDA using cachemate. :)

This is so true. It's not just the folks that don't read the description, either, but some will knowingly and willfully disregard special instructions.

I've come to the conclusion that a traditional cache in a sensitive area that requires special instructions is self-defeating. You have to lead folks by the nose--force them to comply. If you can't, then you're simply asking for trouble.

I agree.

If I ever placed a cache in such a sensitive area, I would make it an "Unknown" cache. People think of those as "Puzzle" caches that are not at the listed coordinates, so they actually read the cache page. idea.gif

This would cut down on the number of visits, because some of us filter out the Puzzles from our Pocket Queries because we can't figure them out icon_smile_blush.gif, but it would force people to read the first line of the cache page which might say something like this:

The cache is at the listed coordinates, but you must use the specified parking or this cache will have to be Archived.
I can stay home and read history. No, really, I can. I don't really have the time or the inclination to keep my nose buried in a tiny PDA screen reading a bunch of non-essential information. I can't tell you how many history lessons I've skipped while in the field.

It's not that I'm "chasing waypoints," but more of "I've got better things to do."

I guess I can understand that concept - it applies to other parts of my life. Geocaching, however, is a part of life where I slow down and explore.

I do start with a scan of the page. Obviously there are a lot of cache pages that are unispiring and uninformative. No need to spend a lot of time there.

How many people want the cache to "take me someplace interesting?" We see that over and over in these forums; yet, not all places have that obvious spectacular view. If you take me to a place with history attached to it, I want to know what that history is. I hope to find at least a synopsis on the cache page.

I do like to go "commando" at times (in this case that means without reading the cache page); but it is more interesting when I have meaningful info.

To each their own.

So based upon what I read in this thread my cache pages should look like this-

Cache by vtmtnman

n43 55.009

w073 07.032

Here you go.

Cache is an ammo can.

hint

Look for a metal box under the sticks.

dec 21

Billybobcache finder (200 found)Found it-thanks for a short cache page without all of that useless info on the history of the old (Insert area/building/lake/whatever here).

Some folks like to make a cache page longer than just giving the vitals.To me not reading it is like just saying your cache is just another number in my find count.

To each his own I spose.