The Whipping Boy

A whipping boy, in feudal times, was a boy of the same age but lower rank raised with a prince or nobleman as a playmate, who was whipped in his place when the young nobleman -- too high in standing to be beaten by anyone below his father, who was often unavailable -- misbehaved or slacked in his studies, as a psychological 'indirect punishment'.

In modern times, the term "whipping boy" has come to mean a scapegoat, or something that is a frequent recipient of undue pain, punishment or mistreatment, including inanimate objects

Here's a thread to trash talk your least favorite things about geocaching be it micros, perceived uninspired hides, container quality, or whatever else wilts your salad....

I'm posting this thread as a tool to help other threads to stay on track. Too many threads are being dragged off topic by the arguespew of folks trotting out their personal whipping boy to illustrate some unrelated point. When unrelated aesthetic issues get dragged into the mix you can link that poster here to continue their fun with thier favorite whipping boy.

I promise NOT to post ANY responses here unless they are directed at me by name or direct association and even then......

Think of this thread as a kind of "abject silliness" for those that think geocaching is headed down the wrong path and needs to be whipped back onto the straight and narrow path it is perceived to have strayed from.

You too should have someplace where you can make yourself heard and be unopposed by the likes of me and others who are "hand wringing staunch defenders of everything lame." I encourage you to make this thread your own.

Whip away..... :P Those opposed to your treatment of your personal whipping boy will be considered OFF TOPIC. Report them to a mod. Piling on is encouraged. :o

Edited by Snoogans

I'll start off shall I? Just to give you an idea why I posted this thread.

My least favorite thing right now is bug drop notes that don't get immediately deleted by the person posting the note. They really clutter up a cache page. Yuck! Delete those bug drops BEFORE they offend my eyes!

I'm really serious. I can't stand 'em. :o

Edited by Snoogans

Good call on the topic, Snoogans. I've actually been thinking about starting a similar one in the geocoins forum.

On topic: I don't like when forum posters go on a rant about how they are entitled to their opinion, and then promptly proceed to tell another poster that his opinion is wrong. Then again, maybe they are really in 8th grade and it is not their fault. :P

Oh, and I'm not a big fan of lame roadside micros either. :o

On a positive note, I LOVE finding tupperware containers in the woods.

I know people like to find swag when they find a cache, which is why micros can be lame, but to stuff a cache with McToys and psuedo-beanie babies to the point the lid doesn't seal and in the next rain everything is ruined and soggy is just plain wrong. :o

Here's what bugs me: egregious spelling errors in cache descriptions. No one is perfect (least of all me), but it's not a "cahce" ! In logs, on forum posts, so what? But in your description, you should strive for some semblance of competence.

(Edited to add: I know right about now several people are probably scouring my cache descriptions looking for spelling errors to point out!)

Caches I dislike, or the type I like to whip:

Caches that have a high potential for confrontation (land owners, law enforcement, or business owners.)

Everyone has seen a cache where the hider did not use their brain when they hid their cache on private property.

Caches hidden in homeless encampments, or near trash dump sites (or both).

Caches hidden in parking lots, in full view of everyone. (why did you bring me to a parking lot?)

I have zero issue with micros, unless they are hidden in one the locations I just listed.

I dislike "needle in haystack hides, "Ivy hides," and micros hidden in cactus.

I think "discovering" travel bugs at geocaching events to pad your TB stats. is wrong. I actually wish they would disable this feature for travel bugs, but not geocoins (unique icons were the main reason for the discovery log."

Multiple attended logs on event caches to pad your stats with "temp caches" is akin to falsifying your found it count.

My final gripe as a cache hider: Nothing irks me more than a "cut and paste" log written on one of my nice caches hidden in a nice location. This makes me think, that this type of person sees my cache as "coordinates, a hint, and another smiley."

Caches that have a high potential for confrontation (land owners, law enforcement, or business owners.)

Everyone has seen a cache where the hider did not use their brain when they hid their cache on private property.

Caches hidden in parking lots, in full view of everyone. (why did you bring me to a parking lot?)

I have zero issue with micros, unless they are hidden in one the locations I just listed.

I think "discovering" travel bugs at geocaching events to pad your TB stats. is wrong. I actually wish they would disable this feature for travel bugs, but not geocoins (unique icons were the main reason for the discovery log."

Multiple attended logs on event caches to pad your stats with "temp caches" is akin to falsifying your found it count.

My final gripe as a cache hider: Nothing irks me more than a "cut and paste" log written on one of my nice caches hidden in a nice location. This makes me think, that this type of person sees my cache as "coordinates, a hint, and another smiley."

It's 75 degrees with a slight trade wind blowing in from the south on my island today. I woke up today a healthy, happy, person with nothing else to do but head out with the two people that I love the most and enjoy this day to it's fullest. Sorry if that was off topic but I can find nothing to gripe about today. If that changes, I will be back. :o

It's 75 degrees with a slight trade wind blowing in from the south on my island today. I woke up today a healthy, happy, person with nothing else to do but head out with the two people that I love the most and enjoy this day to it's fullest. Sorry if that was off topic but I can find nothing to gripe about today. If that changes, I will be back. :P

:o

I would just like to say "Ditto"! :P

My other complaint is caches hidden where there is no available parking. :ph34r:

I rarely turn on my GPSr when I go into town, but last week when I was running errands, I thought I would look for a few. The first one my GPSr pointed to was behind a large "Residential Area Identifying-sign" at a busy intersection with Bike Lanes on all the streets. The nearest legal parking was a very long block away. I don't mind going for a long hike, but I don't like walking a long distance next to a busy street, breathing in noxious exhaust fumes to look for an Altoids tin . . . :o

I think KitFox said it all...

Just want to get the rules straight...are we allowed to disagree with something someone's posting in here? Are we then allowed to argue *ahem* fight *cough* discuss it back and forth?

:P

That's the way I percieved it.

Let the games begin...

:ph34r::o

Edited by vtmtnman
Just want to get the rules straight...are we allowed to disagree with something someone's posting in here? Are we then allowed to argue *ahem* fight *cough* discuss it back and forth?

Apparently not:

Those opposed to your treatment of your personal whipping boy will be considered OFF TOPIC. Report them to a mod.

Apparently, while it's okay to agree with others' statements in this thread, it is forbidden to disagree.

Those opposed to your treatment of your personal whipping boy will be considered OFF TOPIC. Report them to a mod.

Apparently, while it's okay to agree with others' statements in this thread, it is forbidden to disagree.

Correct. This thread is to be FREE of the defenders of lameness.Whip your whipping boy with a chain if you like. No one will try to stop you..... Or join in whipping someone else's whipping boy. It's allll good. :o

Edited by Snoogans

I'll give it a shot then! :o

• Coordinates which are intentionally offset just to throw people off.
  • People who state a position that is logically flawed, then take it as a personal insult when someone else dares to challenge the logic of their statement.
  • Forum posters who never bother to go back and repair their broken quote tags.
  • Unnecessarily restrictive rules.
  • People who can’t see the difference between challenging the underlying logic of an opinion vs. challenging the person’s right to express their opinion.
  • Requests for new, unnecessarily restrictive, rules.
  • People who claim someone is lying when they express an opinion simply because their closed mind can’t believe anyone could possibly hold such an opinion.
  • Gladware.
  • People who constantly feel the need to impose their version of proper and acceptable game play on others.
  • People who give me a hard time because I cache non-paperless.
  • People who use obfuscation in place of logic as an attempt to hide from their own faulty reasoning.
  • Those long, thin strips of paper that take 20 minutes to roll back up so they’ll fit back inside the nano they came from.
  • People who take the game of Geocaching way too seriously.

FINALLY, I get to pile on! What HE said:

I'll give it a shot then! :P

• Coordinates which are intentionally offset just to throw people off.
  • People who state a position that is logically flawed, then take it as a personal insult when someone else dares to challenge the logic of their statement.
  • Forum posters who never bother to go back and repair their broken quote tags.
  • Unnecessarily restrictive rules.
  • People who can't see the difference between challenging the underlying logic of an opinion vs. challenging the person's right to express their opinion.
  • Requests for new, unnecessarily restrictive, rules.
  • People who claim someone is lying when they express an opinion simply because their closed mind can't believe anyone could possibly hold such an opinion.
  • Gladware.
  • People who constantly feel the need to impose their version of proper and acceptable game play on others.
  • People who give me a hard time because I cache non-paperless.
  • People who use obfuscation in place of logic as an attempt to hide from their own faulty reasoning.
  • Those long, thin strips of paper that take 20 minutes to roll back up so they'll fit back inside the nano they came from.
  • People who take the game of Geocaching way too seriously.

Plus that thing I mentioned earlier about the bug drop logs. I freeeeeakin' HATE bug drop logs! DELETE 'EM! DELETE 'EM! DELETE 'EM!!!!!! :lol::mad::o Can't you SEE how much they offend me? Bend to my will so I can continue to enjoy reading cache pages. :ph34r:

People who have a legit opinion, but use ANY opportunity to bring it up can be irritating. Just because we have an opinion, doesn't mean we have to express it in every conversation. For example - an obvious made-up example that could be applied to another thread currently running:

I was hiking in on a maint trip this afternoon to check on this cache. and I sat down on a rock to take a drink. I was startled by a squeaking noise behind me. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

174_7433.jpg

<snip>

What, you couldn't look for a full size deer; all you wanted was this micro? Yada yada yada - micro bad - yada yada yada.

<rant>

People who feel the need to vent about everything they don't happen to like about another person/place/website/cache/etc. You know, like this thread...

Any more, I'm almost embarrassed to be associated with such a group of whiners as fellow geocachers. I enjoy the game/sport/pasttime, and find very little to gripe about. It seems that is the norm now...

"I hate the new website!"

"I hate the old website!"

"I hate LPC's!"

"I hate micros in the woods!"

Yeah...you get the idea. Shuddup and go cache.

</rant>

If someone logs a "Found it" on a cache and forgets to drop a TB at the time, they go back and highlight the TB in their inventory, and post a new log saying "Bug drop" or "Coin drop."

That will move the TB or coin out of their inventory. Now they can delete the log . . . it won't affect the new location of the TB or Coin.

Edited by Miragee

What i hate is when people who complain about virtuals and then hide micros in the same stupid places. Like that is any better.... :blink:

What's wrong with virtuals, anyway? Seems so many people here claim to cache "only to go to the great landscape areas and gorgeous views that I wouldn't see otherwise" and the like. Why did virtuals get the boot, anyway? Better than half the caches hidden with 7 seconds forethought stuffed with a bunch of broken McToys, aren't they???

And, what's wrong with a micro hidden there, since virtuals DID get the boot? If they take you to a beautiful spot, are you really THAT bummed out about not getting to swap out a $.02 toy? Hmmmm?

To continue with Kit's theme ...

I dislike caches disguised as rocks hidden in HUGE GIANT piles of rocks or cinder blocks or broken up cement barriers.

I also dislike the term "muggle" and all its various forms. I hate Harry Potter and don't care that it's a carry-over from that. In fact, the Harry Potter association only makes it worse. I think everyone using the term should be strung up by their heels, fed Ex-Lax and then, after they have befouled themselves, face a firing squad of poo-flinging monkeys. :blink: Or maybe they they should just run along home and have their mommies change their nappies and put them to bed.

What i hate is when people who complain about virtuals and then hide micros in the same stupid places. Like that is any better.... :blink:

What's wrong with virtuals, anyway? Seems so many people here claim to cache "only to go to the great landscape areas and gorgeous views that I wouldn't see otherwise" and the like. Why did virtuals get the boot, anyway? Better than half the caches hidden with 7 seconds forethought stuffed with a bunch of broken McToys, aren't they???

And, what's wrong with a micro hidden there, since virtuals DID get the boot? If they take you to a beautiful spot, are you really THAT bummed out about not getting to swap out a $.02 toy? Hmmmm?

Virts got killed because some were being hidden in lame places. Imagine that.... :)

1) When there's plenty of good hiding places at the same location, and the cache is hidden deep in a holly bush, preferably surrounded by poison ivy and fire ants.

2) Cache coordinates that are in the middle of a street.

3) The term muggles. (Yeah, yeah, flame me for thinking Harry Potter is not cool if you're over 12.)

4) Reading in every single GPS thread that they should get a GPSMAP 60csx even if it has nothing to do with Garmin.

5) Pink jelly beans. God those taste awful.

I dont like when people get upset about McToys and the like in caches. They may not be what they would like, but kids love that kind of stuff. As long as it is clean, the cheapest trinket can mean so much to a child.
I agree unless the McToys are left in a non-kids cache. i.e. How many small kids hike up mountains.... :blink:

I dislike caches disguised as rocks hidden in HUGE GIANT piles of rocks or cinder blocks or broken up cement barriers.

Why? Don't they (by definition) HAVE to be better than a virtual overlooking Horsetail Falls, or Hell's Canyon, or the Great Barrier Reef? After all, lame rock caches haven't been killed yet...

I dont like when people get upset about McToys and the like in caches. They may not be what they would like, but kids love that kind of stuff. As long as it is clean, the cheapest trinket can mean so much to a child.
I agree unless the McToys are left in a non-kids cache. i.e. How many small kids hike up mountains.... :blink:

But, I thought the idea of caching was to go to great, scenic places. What's wrong with a TNLNSL? I'll have to admit, I haven't found any life altering prizes in any caches, so why not McToys? Is the location the prize, or not? Can't have it both ways...

I *HATE* it when i'm in the middle of a debate on the forums and the usual suspects (you know who you are) jump in to tell everyone that they don't care about the issue being discussed. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be in the forums engaging every argument at every turn. ARG!!!

I can't stand caches placed in used tires with a view of other garbage. And when you tell about the fantastic view and experience in your log, it gets deleted!

I loathe it when cachers get mad at me and write nasty emails because they can't figure out a puzzle. If you can't figure it out, then it wasn't made for you.

I despise cachers that don't maintain their caches and waste my time and gas running around trying to find something that isn't there anymore. And have the nerve to ignore my invoices that I send them.

And the worst of the worst possible offense are those cachers that change their dang forum avatar every other day :blink:

But, I thought the idea of caching was to go to great, scenic places. What's wrong with a TNLNSL? I'll have to admit, I haven't found any life altering prizes in any caches, so why not McToys? Is the location the prize, or not? Can't have it both ways...

Have you found any caches since you joined yesterday?

I *HATE* it when i'm in the middle of a debate on the forums and the usual suspects (you know who you are) jump in to tell everyone that they don't care about the issue being discussed. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be in the forums engaging every argument at every turn. ARG!!!

I can't stand caches placed in used tires with a view of other garbage. And when you tell about the fantastic view and experience in your log, it gets deleted!

I loathe it when cachers get mad at me and write nasty emails because they can't figure out a puzzle. If you can't figure it out, then it wasn't made for you.

I despise cachers that don't maintain their caches and waste my time and gas running around trying to find something that isn't there anymore. And have the nerve to ignore my invoices that I send them.

And the worst of the worst possible offense are those cachers that change their dang forum avatar every other day :blink:

Some good points... :)

Okay, here's my list.

* Socks. Can't really respect what a sock has to say.

* Folks that come to the forums wanting conversation to stop, for whatever reason. Could be the dead horse thing, topic doesn't suit them, advises to shut up and go caching, etc etc. It surprises me how some of the same folks that say how easy it is to ignore a LPC can't find a way to ignore a thread.

* People constantly crying about off-topic comments. Almost all comments can add to the conversation, except for the ones whining about the conversation.

* Topics getting closed at the first sign of conflict. Many times a thread will get closed right after a great point is made.

* Travel Bugs

* People constantly crying about off-topic comments. Almost all comments can add to the conversation, except for the ones whining about the conversation.

* Topics getting closed at the first sign of conflict. Many times a thread will get closed right after a great point is made.

Yeah, those two did it for me. Except i would like to add that topics getting closed for going off-topic.

And topics being closed in general. Unless they are harmful, they serve a purpose- and closing them because you can just doesn't seem right.

Folks that come to the forums wanting conversation to stop, for whatever reason. Could be the dead horse thing, topic doesn't suit them, advises to shut up and go caching, etc etc. It surprises me how some of the same folks that say how easy it is to ignore a LPC can't find a way to ignore a thread.
This is very true! :blink:

* Folks that come to the forums wanting conversation to stop, for whatever reason. Could be the dead horse thing, topic doesn't suit them, advises to shut up and go caching, etc etc. It surprises me how some of the same folks that say how easy it is to ignore a LPC can't find a way to ignore a thread.

Who said I wanted conversation to stop? Maybe just the whining? But I know, in your case, it's hard to differentiate...