usb driver disk doesnt work to download waypoints to gps

m+k

i'm unable to get any communication from my laptop to my gps. i bought an interface cable and a usb adaptor that comes with a small disk called an "h l usb driver"...when prompted to put in the disk, i get an error message that reads "windows was unable to install your usb-ser..windows could not find driver software for your device....any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks.

using garmin etrex.....just trying to download waypoints....tried the garmin program, easy gps, and the swiss army knife program..no luck just error messages...then tried the testing page from the garmin page and it told me there was no gps detected....a small disk came with my usb adaptor..it will not load..and the error message associated with that said the "new hardware" will not work unless the drive disk is loaded...i've heard of other people having similar problems with windows vista....i'm attributing the lack of communication between gps and pc to the disk not loading but have limited computer knowledge and could be mistaken.

Are you by chance using a SERIAL to USB adapter cable to communicate with your GPS unit from PC?

If so you must load drivers for Serial/USB converter then setup "software" parameters to use specific COM Port number derived by "converter" and these COM port numbers need to be put into your "GSP communication" software such as EasyGPS or GSAK....

Dale

using garmin etrex.....just trying to download waypoints....tried the garmin program, easy gps, and the swiss army knife program..no luck just error messages...then tried the testing page from the garmin page and it told me there was no gps detected....a small disk came with my usb adaptor..it will not load..and the error message associated with that said the "new hardware" will not work unless the drive disk is loaded...i've heard of other people having similar problems with windows vista....i'm attributing the lack of communication between gps and pc to the disk not loading but have limited computer knowledge and could be mistaken.

If it is the USB to serial converter off Ebay, you need to download the driver from the internet, the one on the little CD rom doesnt work. Just did the same thing with our little etrex.

Open Windows Explorer (My Computer) and go to the CD drive. Look for a file with a .msi or .inf extension. Right-click on it, and select Install. That should install the driver. Do not connect the adapter until after you do this. Then open Device Manager and see which COM port was created for the adapter. It's not a USB connection, it's serial - you're using a USB connection to make a virtual serial port, not the other way around.

I am trying to update my sons Legend eTrex. There was no software disk in the box. I've downloaded the webupdater but it does not recognize the unit. Where can I find a driver for my desktop? I'm running xp using the pc interface cable that came with the unit.

thanks

arlene

On a serial connection, you won't see the GPS listed as a drive. It's just a device on a COM port, and the port is all you will see. Software will find the GPS, though. You can use GSAK, GPSBabel, EasyGPS, or lots of other programs to send waypoints. For these, or for the web updater, you have to tell them which COM port the GPS is on. Even though you may only have one physical serial port, you can have many virtual ports. Out of the box, Windows assigns the first physical port to both Com1 and Com3. Open Device Manager and see what ports it thinks exist, and try all of them in the web updater. It's trial and error, standard MS stuff.

You might also consider temporarily unchecking 'Local USB' in your Palm's HotSync Manager from the system tray. This may free up the port.

I have the same trouble with the GSP not downloading from GSAK. It is a Garmin 60csx, brand new with USB cord included. The CD was run & I assume the drivers were installed, but the waypoints won't load from GSAK. It attempts to load, but never finishes. No error message or anything just keeps running that red progress bar & doesn't seem to progress! All the settings seem to be in order on GSAK - GPS set-up, etc.

I'm not using palm, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Can anyone identify the problem & suggest a fix?

Thanks

Are you sure the driver was installed? To make sure, you could download the driver from the Garmin site, delete the other driver if you find it on your PC, and reinstall it.

When the driver installed itself on my computer, it put itself in the Root of the C:/ drive . . . much to my consternation . . . but everything works, so I never tried to move it to a location I would have preferred.

the one on ebay with the blue ends and silver wire will not work...it was the whole cause of our problem...if you buy one on ebay make sure you include garmin gps as part of your search.....if you go back to the item description on ebay or the company website, there is a very small disclaimer at the bottom of the page saying it isn't compatible with garmin gps....we went through a lot of work before finding out this was the cause of all our problem....good luck.