eXplorist file limits

You are limited to one file each of POI and Geocache to have actively shown on the map screen. If the POI file has 500, they will all show on the map screen. the geocache file will also show all the geocaches up to 200. You can access/transfer/save more POI/waypoints if you put them into another file.

You can put as many in the files as you like; the unit just won't read all of them.

.gs can have 200 geocaches.

.upt can have 500 user waypoints. The first 200 may have comments.

You may flip either in or out individually by changing the file in active setup and you can make either disappear from the map in map setup.

I understand that I can keep multiple .gs and .upt files on my unit; this is why my question asked about file type characteristics.

I also understand that while I can have 999 caches in a particular file, only the specified number of caches will be displayed, which is why I asked how many will be displayed on the map (as opposed to how many caches will a file hold).

What you have made clear is that the comments seems to be the limiting factor; if a .upt file holds waypoints with comments, the limit is lowered to 200. My experimenting confirms this. Thanks!