Maps showing on z22

grouchymedic

Ok, I'm back with another stupid question. I got the cachmate, gsak, and a brand new z22. I fumbled my way into loading 40 caches on the Palm. Now I need to know how I get the map on the Palm Waypoints were my downfall in staying with caching to start with. I don't have the foggiest idea where a coordinate is in relation to a map. Please help me again. Grouchymedic

What GPSr do you have? Does it have any maps on it?

I just use my GPSr to direct me to the "Next Nearest" cache, but then I have City Navigator maps on my Vista C. :)

If you have mapping software, or Google Earth, you could put the caches you are interested into either, then do a Screenshot of the map and convert that to an image you could view on the Palm, but that is not optimal . . . :blink:

I just use my GPSr to direct me to the "Next Nearest" cache, but then I have City Navigator maps on my Vista C. :)

If you have mapping software, or Google Earth, you could put the caches you are interested into either, then do a Screenshot of the map and convert that to an image you could view on the Palm, but that is not optimal . . . :blink:

I have a Magellan meridan platinum with mapsend directroute loaded on it. It does not give a route turn by turn. If I have several waypoints loaded it is just one big glob if they are close. Guess thats why I'm looking to get a garman gpsmap 60cxs. If there is a way to load a map such as google, I sure don't know how. getting grouchyer!

You've already got all you need. I assume your Palm can display images.

Lets take your FTF at LOOKING FOR LUCK.

First, have GSAK runnning.

Next, click on a map option, zoom as you desire, then press [ctrl][shift][F10] to snapshot the map. This will send the image to your desktop. You can do this multiple times, but you need to rename the desktop image or it will just overwrite it.

This is an example of the Google Map

610200794059.png

This is an example of Mapquest

610200794228.png

Now, send that to your Palm and go caching.

I need this one last step. I can bring up the maps. I can send it to my desktop ( not documents ). The Palm z22 has a photo button for its viewer. ( unless I'm missing something. When I try and drag the map icon to the photo box it says that it only supports jpeg and the usual, not this type of image. Still would like to geter done. Grouchyer again.

I need this one last step. I can bring up the maps. I can send it to my desktop ( not documents ). The Palm z22 has a photo button for its viewer. ( unless I'm missing something. When I try and drag the map icon to the photo box it says that it only supports jpeg and the usual, not this type of image. Still would like to geter done. Grouchyer again.

What version of Windows do you have? XP's MSPaint can convert to JPG. Just open your graphic in MSPaint, then click File-->Save As. Enter a name. In the type field, pick "JPG, JPEG" or whatever it has down there. Hit OK. You'll have another file that's a JPG.

I don't think that works with Windows 2000 but you can try it.

Well, I was able to follow all of the steps Except the send to Palm I do not see how to do that. Hot sync does not do that I have the mape on my desktop but where to next? Thanks for your help.. Grouchymedic

EASY!!!

Drag the map image icons to the right edge of the desktop for easy access later.

Open your Palm Desktop, then size it so you can also see those desktop icons.

Open your media so you can see your photo page.

Click and drag the icons from your desktop to your Palm Desktop media page.

Now, synch your palm.

Done!

correction to original post;

I just noticed that I get a PNG image when I do the screen shot. But I have no trouble dragging that image to the palm desktop. I get no error. Curious enough, If I drag it back to the desktop, it is now a JPG file. Some sort of conversion must be going on. All I know is that is works on my computer.

Curious thing is that the GSAK help menu states that screen shots are saved as JPG files.

I am running the Palm Desktop version 4.1.4.

Edited by michigansnorkeler

Well folks, I appreciate all of your input on my question. I stumbled into getting one transfer. I have spent the better of two evenings and still can't get it to hppen. When I drag it to pain it says it is in wrong forman. I guess that I will go back to paper on the maps. Thanks again.. Grouchymedic

Well, Its accomplished with the help of my son-in-law and my geeky granddaughter. Get any map. file,print preview.-- control & printscreen (saves it. )

Paint or anyother that will change to jpeg.

In paint select "edit" then paste

select file then save as--save file as jpeg, in second dropdown menue.

go to palm photo program,

click add,

select file name and location it was saved in

zoom in immage, download to palm

Like the man said---It is hard to read, maybe thats why gsak does not include it.

I was hoping to havs cash listing and map all on Palm z22

Now someone can tell me that the map is on the gps and usable via coordinates.

My magellan meridan platinum is so confusing to me all that I find is a turn by turn direction. I'd like to see just approximately where it is Mayby I know another way there.

IS IT ON THE GPS???

Thanks for the great help Grouchymedic

If your Meridian Platinum is giving you turn-by-turn directions, and you have put the cache coordinates on it, you should be able to do a "Go To" and the GPSr will take you to the cache.

I'm not familiar with that GPSr, but my Garmin Vista C has maps on it and will give me turn-by-turn directions right to the cache . . . or to the wrong side of a park I have to then find the entrance to on my own. B)

Well, Its accomplished with the help of my son-in-law and my geeky granddaughter. Get any map. file,print preview.-- control & printscreen (saves it. )

Paint or anyother that will change to jpeg.

In paint select "edit" then paste

select file then save as--save file as jpeg, in second dropdown menue.

go to palm photo program,

click add,

select file name and location it was saved in

zoom in immage, download to palm

Like the man said---It is hard to read, maybe thats why gsak does not include it.

I was hoping to havs cash listing and map all on Palm z22

Now someone can tell me that the map is on the gps and usable via coordinates.

My magellan meridan platinum is so confusing to me all that I find is a turn by turn direction. I'd like to see just approximately where it is Mayby I know another way there.

IS IT ON THE GPS???

Thanks for the great help Grouchymedic

One problem with downloading images to the Z22 is the low screen resolution. It only has 160x160 compared to the 320x320 on some other Palms, including my Z72. The screenshots I download to my palm are quite sharp, but small. My palm has two levels of display zoom. At 2x zoom, the images look exactly like what I see on my computer screen, although you can only see part of the image and need to scroll it.