Have to continuously log in

H2"O"

For about a week now, every time I go on geocaching.com, I have to log on again, sometimes even during the same session. I don't know if it's a problem at my end or on the CG site. I haven't changed any browser settings that I'm aware of and Ive been using the site for two and a half years now without this problem. Any ideas??

What browser do you guys use? Just curious because I can't say that has ever happened to me . . .

Firefox at home and IE at work - I believe I have experienced the loss of login on both. Only rarely but when it happens I have to log in say 5-6 times before it let's me stay.

For about a week now, every time I go on geocaching.com, I have to log on again, sometimes even during the same session. I don't know if it's a problem at my end or on the CG site. I haven't changed any browser settings that I'm aware of and Ive been using the site for two and a half years now without this problem. Any ideas??

Add me to the list of folks who are seeing this problem for the first time. Over the past week or so, and for the first time since I joined up, I've been confronted by the message that I need to log in to see the details of a cache page I'm trying to access. Every time I log in, I make sure the "Remember me (requires cookies)" box is checked, but it doesn't make any difference. This happens whether I'm using IE7 or Firefox 2.0.0.4.

I'm fairly sure this behavior is controlled by the cookie the server stores on my PC. I have to wonder whether the developers have made some change to the cookie(s) that causes this annoying behavior?

--Larry

I attribute this to a 'time-out' on the login. Are you inactive for a period of time?

Official sponsor of The PODCACHER.COM 2007 Geocaching Tour

If there is a time-out on the login, the time interval has shrunken significantly in the last week. Before this started happening, I never had to log back in, even if I'd been away from the computer for a few days. Now I sometimes have to log back in after less than an hour of inactivity. I haven't tested systematically, but there have definitely been times when all I had to do was exit my browser (Firefox in this case), then a minute later try to access a cache page (via an e-mail notification, for instance). When the browser relaunches, the cache page shows me as not logged in, and tells me I need to log in to see the cache details.

--Larry

I only have to re-log in about once every 4 or 5 weeks. Never had it occur more often then that. Check to see if you have some security software that is somehow blocking cookies to your machine.

I haven't changed the security settings (or installed any different security-related software) in the past few months, long before this started happening. Also, I'm not seeing this phenomenon at any other Web site (not even this Groundspeak forums site), which makes me think it's something that's changed at geocaching.com.

--Larry

I log in every time I go online since I'm at dozens of different public computers.

When I go into the forums I also have to log in due to my password (uppercase, lowercase and special characters) which are not necessary on geocaching.com but are totally necessary on the forums server.

If I want to see the forum posts by a cacher by clicking that link in his profile I would have to be logged into the geocaching.com server with the totally corect password not the equivalent all lowercase (without special characters) password, but I never actually do that.

Occasionally, at a library computer, if I want to log into the forums I have to click that Remember Me button or it will not actually log me in, I'm not sure what browser that was.