Create Polls?

ventura_kids

we used to have polls. we don't anymore. people were using them to stir up the pile on touchy issues. flame wars broke out. thinga are a lot quieter now.
I can see that happening. There are some pretty strong willed people in these forums. Maybe they could let you submit a poll, but have a moderator enable it if he thinks it won't start a ruckus.
we used to have polls. we don't anymore. people were using them to stir up the pile on touchy issues. flame wars broke out. thinga are a lot quieter now.
I can see that happening. There are some pretty strong willed people in these forums. Maybe they could let you submit a poll, but have a moderator enable it if he thinks it won't start a ruckus.

At times, the submitted polls were a tad bit one-sided. "Question: Do you think this stinks really bad, or even worse than that?"

I would have to think the Mods would hate having to manage creating an unbiased poll every time someone has a beef.

Just make the post and discuss. No poll is necessary

At times, the submitted polls were a tad bit one-sided. "Question: Do you think this stinks really bad, or even worse than that?"

I would have to think the Mods would hate having to manage creating an unbiased poll every time someone has a beef.

Just make the post and discuss. No poll is necessary

Polls have their value. Maybe a better approach is to have a thread suggesting polls. Then the moderators could start one if they feel like it. No obligation...

Polls have their value.

True, gc.com has on occasion offered a new service based on input and demand but to me that's preference not opinion. Around here, opinion polls usually don't come to some sort of a conclusion.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Polls have their value.

True, gc.com has on occasion offered a new service based on input and demand but to me that's preference not opinion. Around here, opinion polls usually don't come to some sort of a conclusion.

But that's just my opinion. :D

Let's have a poll to decide if we should have polls... ;);)

By the way this topic is in the Getting Started forum FAQ.

Why Can't I Start a Poll?

Why Can't I Start a Poll?

The poll feature in the forum software is disabled in the Groundspeak Forums, except for rare cases when Jeremy wants to conduct a poll.

The reason for this was because a fair percentage of the community, including Jeremy, got tired of repetitive and poorly designed polls that people were posting in the older versions of the forums (pre-November 2003). It seemed like once a month there would be a poll on whether you used a Garmin or a Magellan, someone would say "what about Cobra and Lowrance?" and then everyone would start arguing.

Other community members feel that polls would be useful as a way to get community input about issues in geocaching, improvements and new features for Geocaching.com, and problems with the way Geocaching.com is now set up. They would like to see the poll feature returned to the forums. Occasionally Jeremy does start a poll for feedback on an issue. The last poll he started can be found here. It conveys his views on the subject.