eBay cache container

You can even buy cache containers that are meant to be buried

valve

Quite a few cache containers on eBay are against Groundspeak rules, if not downright illegal; be careful and think a little before buying. One of the worst I've seen was one that looked identical to a real bird's nest with eggs. On the surface an original and creative idea. But what if, after finding one of these caches, someone happens upon a REAL bird's nest with REAL eggs and destroys it trying to find the (nonexistant) container hidden inside? What happens if a local park official sees this type of container and thinks the same thing I did? In case you didn't know, disturbing an active bird's nest is actually illegal in quite a few states. But this is off topic; we're discussing digging/burying and guidelines/rules.

Link to current "guidelines".

Most of the "guidelines" exist for a reason, even if you don't know what the reason is or understand it. And even if there is no reason, they are the rules of the game as required by Groundspeak. By submitting a new cache hide on geocaching.com you are legally agreeing to obey the posted rules. There really aren't that many, and if you can't understand them then perhaps you should try a hobby that requires less intelligence. If you think a rule is poorly worded or wrongly enforced, then voice your opinion in a clear, intelligent manner. Get enough support and maybe the rule will change.

Another option would be to go to a different caching site with different rules; there are quite a few out there.

As for the dig/bury rule, the reason has been stated here and I think it's fairly clear (even if the guideline itself really isn't). Geocaches are currently banned on all NPS land, some say because of digging. Non-geocaching park officials are less likely to allow geocaching on property they control if they think people will show up with picks and shovels, whether to hide or find. Most people don't bother to read the rules, and instead place caches similar to the ones they've found. So if you dig a hole in your front yard and bury an ammo can, then someone will think it's ok to dig a hole and bury one in a public park. Therefore, digging is banned EVERYWHERE.

I would like to see Groundspeak get the e-bay account shut down the is selling caches that need to be burried. It was one of those caches that I submitted a SBA on.

How do you suggest they do this? :P

We live in a country with a free market economy. The vendor isn't selling anything illegal, but his products do encourage customers to violate the guidelines for listing a cache at geocaching.com. There are other listing services out there, and there may be other uses for his products beyond hiding geocaches.

Responsible geocachers should not purchase his products, and should actually read the guidelines before submitting their listings. Lack of sales and demand is the only thing that can shut down his business.

Nope, Groundspeak trying to shut his business down would be like pissing up a rope.

I would like to see Groundspeak get the e-bay account shut down the is selling caches that need to be burried. It was one of those caches that I submitted a SBA on.

Huh? It is not wrong to sell geocaches on eBay. Nothing wring with buying them or placing them either. Checking the little box would be wrong if you violated guidelines though.

Besides- it wouldn't be the sellers fault. It is the buyer who violates the guidelines. They should know the guidelines and follow them.

Do research before buying.

You can even buy cache containers that are meant to be buried

valve

Oh, I forgot about that. Someone hid two caches like that in my area. They didn't buy it on ebay, they just bought the stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. The caches are long since archived, and the owner long since gone inactive. I'm quite sure they were removed.

As far as I know these caches would be OK if placed with permission or on the hider's own property. They might even be within guidelines if they are placed in an existing hole that a cacher fills in by hand with rocks or loose soil. I've also seen caches hidden in existing drains; although I might be concerned about the cache interfering with the function of the drain in some cases, I don't think that the buried guideline would be violated. I realize there are some that would like there to be no exceptions at all to the buried guideline. These people feel that geocachers are idiots who will copy any hide they see in a location where there would be a violation of the guideline. I'd prefer to think that geocachers can understand why digging to hide a cache is inappropriate unless permission is granted.

Maybe we should go after Lowes, ACE and Home Depot too.

Thats what I was thinking too.... :P

It's really none of Groundspeak's business - until someone tries to list a cache using one here.

Edited by briansnat

You've got to be freaking kidding me! Are you for real???

Your profile info says, "I cook things up and stir the kettle a lot at work". Seems like you're doing the same thing here, hmm?

Groundspeak doesn't have specifications for cache containers. How a cache may be placed to be listed on this site does have guidelines. They certainly don't cover geocaching related business outside of their own store.

The auction is fine. Burying the cache later won't be provided they actually bury it and try to get it listed.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Your profile info says, "I cook things up and stir the kettle a lot at work". Seems like you're doing the same thing here, hmm?

First, I did not start this thread, I posted a reply to another thread.

Second. What I said is.

I would like to see Groundspeak get the e-bay account shut down the is selling caches that need to be burried. It was one of those caches that I submitted a SBA on.If you have a problem with what I would like to see, I do not really care.

I did not say it could be done

Second. What I said is.

I would like to see Groundspeak get the e-bay account shut down the is selling caches that need to be burried. It was one of those caches that I submitted a SBA on.If you have a problem with what I would like to see, I do not really care.

I did not say it could be done

I will bear witness that the alleged OP of this thread was only replying to another thread, and suddenly found that post the OP of this thread, with a title they didn't create. Perhaps the moderator (let me guess, the same one posting with a sock puppet account in another current thread) is playing games with him? What a joke.

No, you might have thought you posted a reply to another thread, but Post #1 in this thread is definitely yours.

Secondly, your statement regarding your desire for GS to shut down the eBay sales of "illegal" caches (which I DO have a problem with) is equivalent to those who scream for the banning of guns, or rolling papers, or gunpowder, or anti-histamines because they 'might' be used for a purpose other than which they were intended. Instead of holding individuals accountable, you blame the product.

If, after your handful of finds, you feel you have the experience and knowledge to police caches, feel free. But don't call for a shutdown of other websites for their role in the sale of 'illegal' caches. There are places where every cache I've ever seen on eBay may be used.

Edited by Always & Forever 5

No, you might have thought you posted a reply to another thread, but Post #1 in this thread is definitely yours.

There is where you would be wrong.

My post above is also part of this thread that i had never seen before. It was a reply to the post of the "new" OP in the burying thread.

Sure it is his post but it doesnt mean that he started this thread.

The name of the thread also appeared to have changed.

I don't see a post from a moderator saying that they split this thread out from an existing thread.

You are the Original Poster in this thread.

Dadgum incompetent moderators! :D

Whatever. I know what I saw. And I'm not the only one. :P

Read what Lep said before the mad icon. That is what he meant i think.

Too many moderators that like to close threads and do other things with them. :D:D

Starting a thread and adding a reply to a thread are two sepperate actions. You cannot start a thread by accident. Whe ever the reviewers is that start the new thread, I would like to see it locked.

Starting a thread and adding a reply to a thread are two sepperate actions. You cannot start a thread by accident. Whe ever the reviewers is that start the new thread, I would like to see it locked.

No. It should be deleted.

It should have never been here in the first place. It takes things out of context.

Enough threads become locked all the time. Either delete them or forget about it.

Edited by knight2000