Posting a Cache Location

Behemot

Hi,

I would like to suggest a new system when someone tries to post a new cache. My recommendation concern the rules of the 0.1 miles distance between two caches.

When you try to place a cache in a urban area with many multi-cache or mystery cache. you can't really know if your cache location is OK. So every time you need to contact your reviewer .....

Of course the web site offer, in the search page, the possibility to find near caches from a coordinate, but like I said, multi-cache or mystery cache are not at the actual listed coordinate. So :

I Would Greatly recommend, in the Form for posting a new cache, a feature, like a button that automatically validate the cache location. So the user will receive a message like : "there's a cache within 0.1 mile from yours"... So the user don't know exactly which cache is near and he doesn't know the final coordinate of a multi-cache per example.

I hope that many people will encourage me on this feature. Thx

Behemot

Edited by Behemot

This has been suggested before. The problem is that a percentage of the community would misuse the tool in order to figure out the locations of puzzle and multicaches, in a game of "battleship." I have seen that behavior in action. This would automate it.

You could always just load all the caches within a certain radius of where you want to place the cache, then when you find a good spot, tell your GPS to show you the nearest cache. It should then read the distance to the closest cache from where you are standing. If it reads 526 or so feet, then you're out of luck, if it reads .1 miles or more then place it and see what the reviewer has to say.

Edited by stepshep

When you try to place a cache in a urban area with many multi-cache or mystery cache. you can't really know if your cache location is OK. So every time you need to contact your reviewer .....

Not true. If you do you homework before placing a cache - and that includes finding all nearby caches - you know pretty well if you interfere with a (stage of a ) multi or mystery. If that is too much work for you, the area is probably already cache saturated. Take a map and find an area with no or only very few caches and explore that. Maybe you stumble on some really interesting but rather unknown spot - which makes it a great location for a geocache. :D