Garmin 76CSx or Vista HCx

hyflyt

I have a Vista HCx on back-order, with the option of cancelling the order. I had a Vista Cx, so I know how to use it, familiar with the size, etc. Using it mostly in a RAM mount on my motorcycle. Started thinking that for the $80 difference, I could upgrade to the larger screen of the 76CSx. What other enhancements would I get with the 76? I've read on the forum that the 76 has a better antenna and has the capability to attach an external antenna. I'll be installing City Nav on whichever unit I get and will use the autoroute feature. Doesn't the 76 "talk" to you? Anything else I should think about or know?

Thanks

I have a Vista HCx on back-order, with the option of cancelling the order. I had a Vista Cx, so I know how to use it, familiar with the size, etc. Using it mostly in a RAM mount on my motorcycle. Started thinking that for the $80 difference, I could upgrade to the larger screen of the 76CSx. What other enhancements would I get with the 76? I've read on the forum that the 76 has a better antenna and has the capability to attach an external antenna. I'll be installing City Nav on whichever unit I get and will use the autoroute feature. Doesn't the 76 "talk" to you? Anything else I should think about or know?

Thanks

The 76 doesn't talk to you. Yes it's better, but the screen isn't all that much bigger. Especially compaired to the size of the GPS.

If I was going to mount one on a motorcycle, I'd like the buttons of the 76 for ease of use while riding, but the Vista for size...

This is a hard judgment call.

Ditto on the comment about the button arrangement. I have used a 60CS and Venture Cx on my bike; the Etrex is a pain in the heine, compared to the 60CS, to change pages. The buttons on the front of the 60CS are much more user-friendly while riding.

Check out the spec comparisons on Garmin's website. I include the 60CS.

None of Garmin's current handheld models 'talk'. The closest (that's waterproof) would be the Quest at $347.

You are right... the 76 is huge. My hand doens't wrap around it easily and using the buttons is still a bit unnatural because they are on the top, not the bottom where your thumbs wrap around it while holding it. I borrowed a friend's 60 a few times and like the feel of that one, but got a great deal on the best Garmin had, so I went for it.