Found a cache in Canada...

While on vacation in Alaska/Canada we accidentally came across a cache but have been unable to find a listing for it on any of the caching websites. The cache was located in a large turnout off of Highway 2 at the border between British Columbia and the Yukon Territories. It was a large rubbermaid type container hidden under a bush just at the edge of the turnout. We believe it was called "Geo-Cache #8".

We would appreciate any information anybody can provide regarding this cache. We left some travel bugs there and are concerned about them. :rolleyes:

esq

Just some thoughts from a novice.

Could be archived, you would need to know who placed it to find it on GC .com

May be new, and not published yet.

May not be a Geocaching .com cache or could be a traditional letterbox. Neither will be on the GC website.

From a map I found the coordinates of where HWY-2 crosses the BC/Yukon border (N60 0.000 W134 40.000).

HERE is a listing of the nearest active caches to that point. None seem to match your description.

Using the GC.com maps to show archived caches, I can't see any archived caches near there either.

Sorry, can't be of much help...

Edited by Stunod

like previously said, could be archived. do a search of the area and see if there any others that could be part of a series (geo-cache #7 #6 ect.). if you find any others, look at the profile of the hider, and look at his caches. click on show all caches for his hides. this show all of his hides, including ones that are archived. you can visit the page and iether write a note or a find, i would write a found it, because you did find it. anyway thats another topic. if you cant find any others in the series, you could always check some locals profiles and see if you can find it there. hope this helps

While on vacation in Alaska/Canada we accidentally came across a cache but have been unable to find a listing for it on any of the caching websites. The cache was located in a large turnout off of Highway 2 at the border between British Columbia and the Yukon Territories. It was a large rubbermaid type container hidden under a bush just at the edge of the turnout. We believe it was called "Geo-Cache #8".

We would appreciate any information anybody can provide regarding this cache. We left some travel bugs there and are concerned about them. :rolleyes:

esq

How'd you find it? By accident or something?

SOunds to me like it was just downright foolish to leave TBs in there if you weren't sure that it was a GC.com cache.

does this answer your question?

What are the co-ordinates of this cache?

Google Earth shows "a large turnout off of Highway 2 at the border between British Columbia and the Yukon Territories" (as the OP described) at N59 59.922 W134 39.757

Thanks, just finished a bout of reviewing and did not want to look through any more maps. Looking from those co-ordinates there is nothing pending/rejected/archived nearby.

Nothing in that area archived either - hmmmm - must be on some other listing service - or not a geocache. Could it have been a letterbox?

I'll lean towards the letterbox also. Maybe I'll have time to research later. It does look like there are only 3 letterboxes in the Yukon, and it doesn't appear to be one of them.

[EDIT] I'm not seeing anything on an Atlas Quest letterbox map Of the area. Looking at the listings at letterboxing.org and trying to find out what it is would be darn near impossible.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
<snip>

Oooops . . . ! ;)

Someone may need to go rescue those TBs. It could be a cache someone put out when they were traveling, not knowing they couldn't have a "vacation cache," and now it is "Geo-litter." :D

esq

SOunds to me like it was just downright foolish to leave TBs in there if you weren't sure that it was a GC.com cache.

DOH!!! You got me.

Someone may need to go rescue those TBs. It could be a cache someone put out when they were traveling, not knowing they couldn't have a "vacation cache," and now it is "Geo-litter." :rolleyes:

I'll get right on that - it is only 2432 miles one way from home.

Anybody want to chip in for Gas money??

Thanks to all of you who've responded and researched this issue. Just to add a little more background, I have checked geocaching.com, along with TerraCaching, NaviCache, and Buxley's mapping page, all coming up empty. I had not thought about a letterbox (as it was named "geo-cache") so I really appreciate the effort on that part. I like the idea of an abandoned vacation cache, but others had signed the log, so it was clearly in play at some point. I've also written to 3 local cachers for assistance, but have yet to hear back from any of them. It also occurs to me that this could be the final to a multi or mystery cache, but there's only one of those within 50 miles and it doesn't appear to lead here, so I am doubting the likelihood of that option.

We found the cache while on a tour off of a cruise ship. We just happened to mention geocaching to the tour guide while at this location, and he told us he had been shown a cache at this location by a previous cacher. After a quick search we found the cache in excellent condition, though it seems it had been a few months since the last find.

In light of this whole ordeal, yes, there are several things we would have done differently. Of the 5 cachers there, none of us thought to get the coords. Nobody wrote down or even thought to look at who the cache owner was or if there was a GC number. No pictures were taken of the cache that would help us track this down. We were so excited to unexpectedly find a cache out here on our jeep adventure that we didn't think about these things. We just assumed the cache would be listed. We'll do things differently next time.

Oh, and for anybody considering a road trip, the travel bugs we left were frira Erq Wrrcf... :rolleyes:

Thanks to all of you who've responded and researched this issue. Just to add a little more background, I have checked geocaching.com, along with TerraCaching, NaviCache, and Buxley's mapping page, all coming up empty. I had not thought about a letterbox (as it was named "geo-cache") so I really appreciate the effort on that part. I like the idea of an abandoned vacation cache, but others had signed the log, so it was clearly in play at some point. I've also written to 3 local cachers for assistance, but have yet to hear back from any of them. It also occurs to me that this could be the final to a multi or mystery cache, but there's only one of those within 50 miles and it doesn't appear to lead here, so I am doubting the likelihood of that option.

We found the cache while on a tour off of a cruise ship. We just happened to mention geocaching to the tour guide while at this location, and he told us he had been shown a cache at this location by a previous cacher. After a quick search we found the cache in excellent condition, though it seems it had been a few months since the last find.

In light of this whole ordeal, yes, there are several things we would have done differently. Of the 5 cachers there, none of us thought to get the coords. Nobody wrote down or even thought to look at who the cache owner was or if there was a GC number. No pictures were taken of the cache that would help us track this down. We were so excited to unexpectedly find a cache out here on our jeep adventure that we didn't think about these things. We just assumed the cache would be listed. We'll do things differently next time.

Oh, and for anybody considering a road trip, the travel bugs we left were frira Erq Wrrcf... :rolleyes:

Very interesting!! Well if it was named "geo-cache", than I'm sure it is one. One more idea, check Navicache for traveling caches in British Columbia. Although if it is, it's apparently not traveling very much. :D

And I'd try contacting the British Columbia Geocaching organization

esq

DOH!!! You got me.

haha, hey dont sweat it, we have that every now and then

Oh, and for anybody considering a road trip, the travel bugs we left were frira Erq Wrrcf... :laughing:

Any recollection of the previous finders' names?

If so, that may provide a lead...

We found the cache while on a tour off of a cruise ship. We just happened to mention geocaching to the tour guide while at this location, and he told us he had been shown a cache at this location by a previous cacher.

It looks like the only person who really knows where this cache is located would be the tour guide. Do you know the tour company, the name of the tour you were on, your tour guide's name? Can you look them up and very politely ask them to go and get more information from the cache for you like it's name, the hider, take a photo of it, etc (and all of us!) or rescue the TB's and send them back to you? You may get a goodwill reply or you may have to cross their palm with silver (or more) :ph34r: .

I'll stick a note on BCGA to get folks to look at this thread.

We would appreciate any information anybody can provide regarding this cache. We left some travel bugs there and are concerned about them. :ph34r:

esq

There certainly are no caches listed on GC.com at that location, nearest one is Carcross called "Cariboo Crossing". If you wish to e-mail me with more specific directions to this cache I will look for it when I go through the area in a couple of weeks, my Son and I are planning a trip to Alaska and will be going down Hwy 2 to Skagway. If I can find the cache I will rescue the TB's and move them to an active cache. With luck the cache and it's contents will still be there.

Will be doing caches along our whole route to and from Alaska, so making a stop at this pullout would not be a problem, looks like it might be on a spit of land jutting out into the lake by looking at it in Google Earth.

Cheers and Beers

irlpguy

FOUND!

Thanks to Mr. Park-Ranger for this discovery:

http://www.danielhalen.com/The_Journey.html

I've contacted them and they tell me that it is indeed one of their caches (and I suspect #4 mentioned above is as well). They indicated that they plan on adding these caches to geocaching.com

Thanks to EVERYBODY for the help on this one. It's been an adventure!

esq

They indicated that they plan on adding these caches to geocaching.com

That is assuming they lose the commercial aspect of the caches (follow the linky for the CD they're selling with the cache clues).

Well, it is true that "ice roads ain't all they cracked up to be" you know. :unsure: Obviously someone in the band is familiar with geocaching.com, and knew the caches would never be approved as is. Very interesting, but not the first time I've seen people put out geocaches not listed on any geocaching website.