Problems with Minters

fox-and-the-hound

I've noticed in the last year an incredible increase in glaring errors from the minters on submitted designs. I regularly submit very high resolution, highly detailed images along with elevation reference images to the mints. The combination was very, very successful initially. Then things started to go south :laughing: Suddenly, every single design blueprint is coming back with incorrect colors, switched colors, new colors, missing colors, radically changed designs or elevations and worse. The latest was so far off base, I actually requested that they go back and look at what was submitted. The design had been altered, some colors changed, other colors omitted, and elevations changed. That wouldn't be so bad except the first time it came back it only needed a few small changes and the second time it came back it was completely wrecked. :angry: Is anyone else running into problems like this? :anibad::blink::blink:

Everyone is having similar problems. These 4:

1. Errors in the art as you described.

2. Production problems that range from painting problems to incorrect tracking codes.

3. Much longer times to get die's made and samples delivered.

4. Much longer production times.

And . . . significantly higher prices. (This sort of seems counter intuitive)

While the pricing problem has been creaping up for the last year. The other problems seem to stem from Chiense New Years. As I understand it, frequently, during the holiday people go back to the home villages, and frequently just never come back to work or at least the same work. The year before there was a short period of time after the holiday when this happened, but it corrected in a few weeks. This time we are months later and the problems persist.

Ahhh... the joys of globalization :laughing:

Without getting too much into the political arena, I should say that I'm actually a supporter of the broad outlines of globalization; we need to elevate the Third and Fourth Worlds to secure our own future, to make America seem less attractive as a place to move to, as well as giving people in depressed countries a greater reason to make their country safer without our direct help. The problem is, many of those places aren't ready for the "bright and shining future" :anibad: Unfortunately, Americans have been pricing themselves out of the market for decades, so we keep sending work overseas because it is cheaper, even with shipping costs. We demand more for less, and there is only so far that we can push that. I could go on for pages, but you all are intelligent people who can do your own research, so I won't bore you. Besides which, it's more fun to discover reality on your own. Let me merely start your journey off with a simple, two-part question: would you be willing to pay $15 or $20 per geocoin if it was made in the U.S. by better-trained union members who aren't going to vanish every year for a month? Would you be willing to pay two bucks for a tomato if farm supports (tax money) were eliminated? If so, or if not, why? Be detailed. You have one hour :blink:

In making the Friends of caching coin I've noticed they have a hard time with the Reeds on the coin image. This is across two coin makers. I sent both a SCAN of the actual art and logo. It should have been as easy as "Monkey see, Monkey do" and they can't copy it right.

It's caused delays trying to get them to 'get it'. Heck I even have a sample coin in hand so I know they can do it and it's not an issue with Art tranlating to Coin Minting reality.

I guess it depends on which manufacturer you're using. I've not experienced the issues you guys have stated besides maybe a small price increase. The quality has remained high and the production time acceptable.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the production company or the minter. It's the blueprinting coming back from the minter that is low quality though.

...Let me merely start your journey off with a simple, two-part question: would you be willing to pay $15 or $20 per geocoin if it was made in the U.S. by better-trained union members who aren't going to vanish every year for a month? Would you be willing to pay two bucks for a tomato if farm supports (tax money) were eliminated? If so, or if not, why? Be detailed. You have one hour :laughing:

All other things being equil I'd buy the American Coin.

However they aren't equil. Among other things American Coin Mints (actual factory) Mostly have minimun orders above what geocoin owners make. They also have less abiliy to offer the features, finishes, and so forth than the overseas mints can offer. What little they do offer costs more for the same thing.

Combine it all up and you get that the American Companies can't compete even if you take price out of the picture.

Changing subjects on you. When I worked for Chelan County Power in Wenatchee we had a Turbine replacment project. As an Intern I consolodated big proposals for the replacment blades. There were NO American Foundaries who could do the job. None. Zero. Nada. Zip. There wasn't even an American Company who could compete even if we wanted to use them.

...Let me merely start your journey off with a simple, two-part question: would you be willing to pay $15 or $20 per geocoin if it was made in the U.S. by better-trained union members who aren't going to vanish every year for a month? Would you be willing to pay two bucks for a tomato if farm supports (tax money) were eliminated? If so, or if not, why? Be detailed. You have one hour :laughing:

All other things being equil I'd buy the American Coin.

However they aren't equil. Among other things American Coin Mints (actual factory) Mostly have minimun orders above what geocoin owners make. They also have less abiliy to offer the features, finishes, and so forth than the overseas mints can offer. What little they do offer costs more for the same thing.

Combine it all up and you get that the American Companies can't compete even if you take price out of the picture.

Changing subjects on you. When I worked for Chelan County Power in Wenatchee we had a Turbine replacment project. As an Intern I consolodated big proposals for the replacment blades. There were NO American Foundaries who could do the job. None. Zero. Nada. Zip. There wasn't even an American Company who could compete even if we wanted to use them.

Really? Not even Dresser-Rand?

Edited by ATMouse

YES YES YES YES YES...

I too submit hi resolution detailed images with the elevation levels completely clear - in the standard colors. I keep getting back error, after error... sometimes it feels like they re-invent the design to their own liking, or for the most ease. And even then, when I CORRECT a blueprint, it often comes back with the SAME error.

ARGH! Glad its not just one of us.

As CB Jim would ask.. "Is their optometrist Dr. Pepper?"

I thought my issues were due to a new customer service person but appearantly not. The Colorado Coin my be delayed, something about mixing hard and soft enamel on same coin.

Samples have taken loger as well. Morpho took long time to design with mint and now 2 weeks and no sign of samples yet.

Edited by Atwell Family

I guess it depends on which manufacturer you're using. I've not experienced the issues you guys have stated besides maybe a small price increase. The quality has remained high and the production time acceptable.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the production company or the minter. It's the blueprinting coming back from the minter that is low quality though.

"manufacturer" - you must've missed that. :laughing: I don't use production companies.

I have done some sample work on my next personal coin, and due to quality and "translation" at the mint, it is going to be a little time. I too (like Mike) am doing hard and soft on the same side of the coin, and that just doesn't translate for some reason. Luckily I still have a few of the original minting to burn through :laughing:

Just so I know we are talking about the same thing...

Production company would be Coins and Pins or such? Mint is who they use to make the coin?

These are blueprints or is there something else?

2ATF-00003-1.jpg

My understanding is that regardless of who fronts for the actual Mint, The art you post is the Mint's art for approval on the coin. That's the art that I can't get them to "copy" correctly or even "close the heck enough for government work"

My understanding is that regardless of who fronts for the actual Mint, The art you post is the Mint's art for approval on the coin. That's the art that I can't get them to "copy" correctly or even "close the heck enough for government work"

When I have that problem, I put the image in a Word Doc. With arrows marking it all up. They still don't get it sometimes but it helps.

Issues like this are the main reason that I use a "production company" or "coin company" versus dealing with the mint directly. Honestly, it's not worth my time to spend hours of back and forth on things like this.

I submit the artowrk I want and let them deal with mint until it's right. I only see the finished stuff and that's the way I like it.

I would submit that if you cut out the middleman, that you have to accept dealing with things like this.

There may be an increase lately, but I would venture to say that these issues have always been there.

Yep I have noticed the problems. Like the mint telling us that things we know they did in the past they no longer do or they can not do. That is frustrating.

I also have gotten some messed up art work back. I sent then just the messed up area cropped in and blown up with the fixes and that worked. But it does add time to the project, getting art fixed because every fix takes at least a day to get done.

Yeah, but the artists have to deal with the 'fixes' - which I wouldnt trust most 'production companies' to go alone. I consider myself lucky to work with folks who allow me to stay involved throughout the entire process - but that allows me to make sure the coin turns out exactly how I designed it.

But - its DEFINITELY more work for us when the mint has issues understanding the changes, and corrections.

I have dealt with this doing my GeoTag designs. I'd say I wanted something changed, described how, and sent a picture to show it. Sometimes it was right. Sometimes it would come back changed, but in a way I specifically said not to (e.g. I'd say to move some text to the left a bit by making the space between words smaller, but not to change the font size, and their fix was to change the font size). Other times they'd make the right change but break other things there was no reason to touch. In at least one or two cases I finally said "close enough" to not prolong things. Fortunately though the details tended to be small and not really noticeable if you weren't the artist.

Edited by islander1988

:mad:

Let see, we crazy coinaholics reside in the USA and we commission work to be done with a company that reside in China or Hong Kong :lol: ??? Why can't they just understand what I want :o ????? Why can't they just listen to what I think instead of what I say :unsure: ?????

I am so glad that I pay you fine folks the money to take care of this for me :lol: ! That is the best money I have ever spent!!!

I have dealt with this doing my GeoTag designs. I'd say I wanted something changed, described how, and sent a picture to show it. Sometimes it was right. Sometimes it would come back changed, but in a way I specifically said not to (e.g. I'd say to move some text to the left a bit by making the space between words smaller, but not to change the font size, and their fix was to change the font size). Other times they'd make the right change but break other things there was no reason to touch. In at least one or two cases I finally said "close enough" to not prolong things. Fortunately though the details tended to be small and not really noticeable if you weren't the artist.

That describes exactly what's happening for me lately. :unsure: Except the "close enough" part. I'm a stickler for the details :lol:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Just wondering... of us design artist, what format are you sending the mint?

I use CorelDRAW 10 and other than one 3-D design that we are working on right now, I've not had any problems that I know of concerning the mint not being able to comprehend the art.

I usually submit the native CorelDRAW 10 file with all objects & fonts converted to curves & a hi-rez .jpg proof.

Now, once they went to the die makers there have been a couple of issues, but only on 3-D coins.

2-D have been fine! :unsure:

D-man :lol:

Oh.. believe me.. format wouldnt help this stuff.

The main issues come down to levels - raised, recessed, half-raised.. etc.. etc... they are having difficulty comprehending which is which - even when clearly illustrated, and defined. I didnt have any issues at all until fairly recently - when it seems most of us started having the same problems.

:unsure:

I had this same problem with my coin. every time they changed something and sent me the art for approval, there was two new things that needed to be changed back. i went back and forth with the vendor so many times over the same issues i finally gave up and started over with a new vendor.

That describes exactly what's happening for me lately. :lol: Except the "close enough" part. I'm a stickler for the details :lol:

You and me both. My wife usually has to cover the kids' ears when I see what a random die artist did to a design I spent weeks on. :unsure:

"Mommy, why is Daddy purple?"

If all of you professional artist have that much trouble you can imagine how many times a simple amateur drawing gets worked! :o

That is not near as easy as it was in the beggining of the year.

I actually had art come back with an entire body part missing! LOL! ;)

But then to play devils advocate is a little like the rumor game you played in elementary school. By the time you tell your rep what you want, and they translate into their language then goes to tell the artist who has a reply that she then translates back in to English. ;) It is honestly amazing we so many beautiful and technical coins out there.

You and me both. My wife usually has to cover the kids' ears when I see what a random die artist did to a design I spent weeks on. :o

LMAO - too funny!

Ditto - these are the exact same issues I had with my GeoTag, change one thing and something else disappeared completely from the art work! Get it added back in and something else was different. In the end I too decided that the horse was dead and flogging was not working so "close enough" was good enough.

The end result was quite good despite the one small thing I wasn't happy with.

Imagine what Mike must have gone through with these... all 75 or so different designs! ;)

I had the same sort of problems when I had my first dream catcher coin made and that was 3 years ago. I went through a company (Coins For Anything) so I wasn't dealing directly with the mint. I sent them a pic of what I wanted & when the artwork came back, I responded "Looks good, but can we change the feathers so they look more like this?" and sent a drawing of what I wanted.

They sent back the changed artwork with the feathers the way I wanted -- but the dream catcher part was completely different. I mean completely different. ;) It took 4 tries just to get the dream catcher back to how it looked on the first draft. And in the end (like many others) I said "close enough" (even though it wasn't exactly what I wanted) just to get it over with.

Windrose

I use CorelDRAW 10 and other than one 3-D design that we are working on right now, I've not had any problems that I know of concerning the mint not being able to comprehend the art.

I usually submit the native CorelDRAW 10 file with all objects & fonts converted to curves & a hi-rez .jpg proof.

Now, once they went to the die makers there have been a couple of issues, but only on 3-D coins.

2-D have been fine! ;)

D-man ;)

If only it were so easy to match a format! ;) Similar to what everone else is saying I would send, eps, ai, jpgs, etc. along with pms color match info, and even a fully rendered version of what the final product should look like. I would need one small change made to some text and when it came back I'd have 3 different colors, a couple missing colors, changed elevations and completely missing elements. Makes me wish I never asked to remove a "bit of the space between the g and e in the word geocaching"!!! :o

2-D have been fine! :o

D-man ;)

If only it were so easy to match a format! ;) Similar to what everone else is saying I would send, eps, ai, jpgs, etc. along with pms color match info, and even a fully rendered version of what the final product should look like. I would need one small change made to some text and when it came back I'd have 3 different colors, a couple missing colors, changed elevations and completely missing elements. Makes me wish I never asked to remove a "bit of the space between the g and e in the word geocaching"!!! ;)

The American mint wanted an .eps, but I usually just send a flattened Photoshop 300dpi .jpg. The mint seems so rushed, that they don't have time to fiddle with examining layers. I used to send a full rendering, but the results were pretty much the same with or without it. Definitely PMS colors to avoid bad interpretations of hues. I could just imagine it: "I said CORNFLOWER, not PERIWINKLE"! ;)

We would to take time to add our lengthy list of gripes but you've addressed almost all of them and we're too busy with revisions at the mint ;) . We add a new gripe daily I think!

How about shipping samples to the wrong location (we still don't have them) and lets add over-polishing to the list of complaints - pressing too hard or polishing too much will change the look of the whole coin - in fact it is entirely possible to rub away or change the look of almost all the detail of the uppermost layer!

What the mint managed to achieve with excess polishing to our '07 shark samples (in addition to two wrong colours) is sacrilegious!

Inconsistency sucks!

We would to take time to add our lengthy list of gripes but you've addressed almost all of them and we're too busy with revisions at the mint :laughing: . We add a new gripe daily I think!

How about shipping samples to the wrong location (we still don't have them) and lets add over-polishing to the list of complaints - pressing too hard or polishing too much will change the look of the whole coin - in fact it is entirely possible to rub away or change the look of almost all the detail of the uppermost layer!

What the mint managed to achieve with excess polishing to our '07 shark samples (in addition to two wrong colours) is sacrilegious!

Inconsistency sucks!

:P You don't suppose we could get them to over-polish them on purpose for a cheap two-tone do you? :anibad::D:anibad:

me three - it ain't the PMS chart or quality of the original artwork; no problem with the first homemade design or the snake :anibad: but pink headlights on the jeep blueprint which actually made it onto the proof coin despite protestations

I found it is definitely language problem - much better to scribble a quick correction on the blueprint where it is wrong and I think they don't 'read' the images the same as a westerner for cultural reasons.

Then the aussie coin! I must admit the platypus is an unusual animal but the map - how could one have had problems with the map or text size? it's not like they hadn't done it before. So despite close up supplementary photos of the weird anatomy could we get this right in twelve drafts? At one stage the feet went on backwards!

In sum total the annoyances are minor and I think they do a wonderful job a the end of a very long day given what we are expecting :laughing: but the tripling of runtime is just not tenable for a presale when delivery dates were calculated.

Issues like this are the main reason that I use a "production company" or "coin company" versus dealing with the mint directly. Honestly, it's not worth my time to spend hours of back and forth on things like this.

I submit the artowrk I want and let them deal with mint until it's right. I only see the finished stuff and that's the way I like it.

I would submit that if you cut out the middleman, that you have to accept dealing with things like this.

There may be an increase lately, but I would venture to say that these issues have always been there.

I tried that - it didn't work x3 - there will always be something however minor

You and me both. My wife usually has to cover the kids' ears when I see what a random die artist did to a design I spent weeks on. :laughing:

BTW if I pay an artist for a design should I be expecting it taken to the blueprint stage? I was kinda relying on the idea that that would get rid of the problem inherent with just sending a pencil scribble.

Well.. I know when I do a design, the blueprint usually comes back virtually identical to the original art (Not including the problems mentioned here!)

If you hire an artist, the art should be finished - and I personally always prefer to be involved in the blueprint stage. That way, I can make sure the design is translated as I intended it.

Wow. this makes me nervous about having a coin made!

brumbjorn, don't be too nervous... this thread is mainly the designers and production companies belly-aching about their experiences these days with the mints in Asia.

If you ask one of us to design and produce your coin, you shouldn't see all these errors and revisions because getting your die art correct is all part of our services. When the die art is finally sent to you to approve it should be just the way you wanted it or better :rolleyes:. A good producer will do all the legwork that we're griping about to get correct die art before sending it to their client. It's not really the client's job to look it over for errors, that's what you pay the coin producers for :unsure:... to make the experience painless :D and get a coin that you love . Correct me if I'm wrong folks :rolleyes:

Helen

brumbjorn, don't be too nervous... this thread is mainly the designers and production companies belly-aching about their experiences these days with the mints in Asia.

If you ask one of us to design and produce your coin, you shouldn't see all these errors and revisions because getting your die art correct is all part of our services. When the die art is finally sent to you to approve it should be just the way you wanted it or better B). A good producer will do all the legwork that we're griping about to get correct die art before sending it to their client. It's not really the client's job to look it over for errors, that's what you pay the coin producers for B)... to make the experience painless ;) and get a coin that you love . Correct me if I'm wrong folks :D

Helen

:D

Let see, we crazy coinaholics reside in the USA and we commission work to be done with a company that reside in China or Hong Kong :) ??? Why can't they just understand what I want :huh: ????? Why can't they just listen to what I think instead of what I say :ninja: ?????

I am so glad that I pay you fine folks the money to take care of this for me :) ! That is the best money I have ever spent!!!

My point exactely!! And this should be said for everyone, do not let this thread deter you from going through with the minting of a personal coin. Go through any of the these fine people and they suffer the headache for you!

If you ask one of us to design and produce your coin, you shouldn't see all these errors and revisions because getting your die art correct is all part of our services. When the die art is finally sent to you to approve it should be just the way you wanted it or better :). A good producer will do all the legwork that we're griping about to get correct die art before sending it to their client. It's not really the client's job to look it over for errors, that's what you pay the coin producers for :D... to make the experience painless :huh: and get a coin that you love . Correct me if I'm wrong folks :ninja:

Helen

You're not wrong, but I believe Chris' original point is from a designer's perspective. We have clients as well, and they often come to us for something special. We want to deliver, so part of our frustration is in spending extra time adding detail to the design, only to have that frequently misinterpreted by the die artist.

We share the same problem, but it's especially maddening for the hell-bent perfectionist. ;)

If you ask one of us to design and produce your coin, you shouldn't see all these errors and revisions because getting your die art correct is all part of our services. When the die art is finally sent to you to approve it should be just the way you wanted it or better :). A good producer will do all the legwork that we're griping about to get correct die art before sending it to their client. It's not really the client's job to look it over for errors, that's what you pay the coin producers for :D... to make the experience painless :huh: and get a coin that you love . Correct me if I'm wrong folks :ninja:

Helen

You're not wrong, but I believe Chris' original point is from a designer's perspective. We have clients as well, and they often come to us for something special. We want to deliver, so part of our frustration is in spending extra time adding detail to the design, only to have that frequently misinterpreted by the die artist.

We share the same problem, but it's especially maddening for the hell-bent perfectionist. ;)

We share the same problem, but it's especially maddening for the hell-bent perfectionist. :ninja:

Perfectly worded... I always prefer to go over the blueprints for my designs rather than having someone else do the work, when they may not know my intent with levels, etc. IMO the work is incomplete if Im not allowed to view/correct the blueprints.

The minting company has alot less to do with it if the artist is allowed to handle the art till the production stages, and I also believe this makes for a better coin.

And.. it seems lately its usually the more complex designs that come back with the most issues - ones that we (funny enough) are prepared to deal with and correct when we design them.

Helen

thanks everyone. I'm just in the working with a designer phase and really nervous about this. It is going to be a while before I get to the "looking for a minter" and "selling body parts on ebay to pay for this" phases. The idea I have is pretty complicated (so I think anyway) and this made me a bit nervous.

Id honestly tell you, if the people you are working with are experienced, and have produced coins you like, you should have NO PROBLEM getting the results you want.

Experience goes a long way - and - although it may be annoying for the artists - we do learn from all those revisions. Sometimes you learn a better way to communicate something to the mint.

No worries - once your art is done, the mint and the artist usually work closely together to get those final coins JUST RIGHT! (And your stress is pretty much limited to the bill! LOL)

Everyone is having similar problems. These 4:

1. Errors in the art as you described.

2. Production problems that range from painting problems to incorrect tracking codes.

3. Much longer times to get die's made and samples delivered.

4. Much longer production times.

And . . . significantly higher prices. (This sort of seems counter intuitive)

Quite to the contrary--they all go together, it the demand for minting services exceeds the supply. If you've got all the business you can handle, and then some, quality will go south, and price will go north.

Quite to the contrary--they all go together, it the demand for minting services exceeds the supply. If you've got all the business you can handle, and then some, quality will go south, and price will go north.

Well.. I for one will disagree that it has anything to do with supply - whats happening is that a bit ago, there were NO issues with communication between artist and mint. Now... there seems almost like an employee change or something to where they do NOT understand what was before very basic.

Remember, the mint artists WANT it right the first time, or its revision after revision. Theres no 'shoddy' work, or anything to that effect - its more like a sudden language barrier it seems.

After all... when you supply finished art, the details are the entire issue - they GET the concept right, but the details are where we are all having issues recently, and IMO at least, I dont believe it has anything to do with amount of coins or demand - this was almost a sudden overnight communication issue when it comes to 'reading' the art.

Ahhh... the joys of globalization :ph34r:

Let me merely start your journey off with a simple, two-part question: would you be willing to pay $15 or $20 per geocoin if it was made in the U.S. by better-trained union members who aren't going to vanish every year for a month?

U.S. Union employees would never even answer your first e-mail.

I do agree with Kealia. Even if it takes a bit longer these days and possibly a few more iterations of samples, if you know that this delay going to happen, well then planning around it is the easiest and least nerv wrecking solution for it. Let the middleman due their job, and make sure you get what you want as a final product, BUT allow ample time for it, and don't try to rush a last minute project through the system.

How many mints are being used now by the coin brokers/middlemen/coin stores, compared to 1 or 1.5 years ago? in 2005/2006 the number of coins being minted was by far less then, are being minted at this time, not only total numbers but more so total different designs. The designs have changed to a far more complicated minting process. A simple equation, more work, higher total numbers of coins being minted by the same mints, will result in either poor quality if the coins are being rushed through the system, or in a longer production period, resulting in a bit more expensive (supply and demand) coin, which at the end will most likely have a similar quality finish, as the coins would have had 2 years ago, if the finishes and artwork being produced currently would have been tried. In other words the demands of the coin designers in the ability of the coin mints to produce high end quality coins has increased quite a bit from the early times, when a simple finish in Antiqu Bronze with a couple colors either painted or enamled on the coins were done. Look at all the different finishes these days: translucent enamel, two piece designs, embedded battiers etc.....

The designs have changed to a far more complicated minting process. A simple equation, more work, higher total numbers of coins being minted by the same mints, will result in either poor quality if the coins are being rushed through the system, or in a longer production period, resulting in a bit more expensive (supply and demand) coin, which at the end will most likely have a similar quality finish, as the coins would have had 2 years ago, if the finishes and artwork being produced currently would have been tried. In other words the demands of the coin designers in the ability of the coin mints to produce high end quality coins has increased quite a bit from the early times, when a simple finish in Antique Bronze with a couple colors either painted or enamled on the coins were done. Look at all the different finishes these days: translucent enamel, two piece designs, embedded battiers etc.....

We got an e-mail last night from the mint that we work with that our Landsharkz Rock Garden 07 is going to be delayed by two weeks. I sent a note last night to confirm that it was shipped on schedule (we were away for a few days) and was told that the ammended date is August 10! This means we won't have them for the road trip to Utah but should hopefully still have them for the WSGA Summer Campout. We're utterly dissappointed because we were planning face-to-face trades along the route, but since it's been happening to most of our clients we're no less immune.

I have to agree with OshnDoc that as designers we're pushing the limits of what is possible to create at the mint. Chris has a saying he uses with clients when he communicates their art to them and they're asking if it will be possible to produce/create Chris' complex design at the mint... he says 'we help the mint's die artists reach their full potential'! That about sums up what we're sending to the mint compared to the simple nickel round coin with 2D work and some colours that was common a year or two ago.

Now we're doing multi level, 3D, a variety of textures, finishes, translucent, soft and Im. hard paint, etc all combined on one intricately shaped coin. How on earth can they churn these out like they used to?

But still our Sharkz coin is going to be 2 weeks late :laughing: and I can't even show folks the samples because they were full of mistakes!