Looking for our first GPS

Hi everyone!

We're new to geocaching and are looking to buy our first GPS unit. We'd like to pick one up for no more than $100-$150. I'm pretty familiar with the Garmin GPS V because it's the one we use during our hot air balloon chases. Is that a good one for geocaching? Is there another one that you'd recommend as better?

Help!!!

Well I looked around Amazon and followed a couple of their links and came to this:

http://www.megagps.com/index.asp?PageActio...mp;Category=112

particarlly the Legend Adventure pack for $119 with case

Ok here is the Vista off of Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Vista-H...6204&sr=1-1

$151

You could also look at the gpamap 76 series and gps map 60 series both in B/W they were under $200 everywhere I looked including some of the "Premier" boating stores. Physically bigger units then the Etrex series but possibly more bang for the buck.

and the Explorist 210 although I admit that I know nothing about the explorist series.

Edited by triehl27

Hi everyone!

We're new to geocaching and are looking to buy our first GPS unit. We'd like to pick one up for no more than $100-$150. I'm pretty familiar with the Garmin GPS V because it's the one we use during our hot air balloon chases. Is that a good one for geocaching? Is there another one that you'd recommend as better?

Help!!!

You can get an garmin etrex legend for $149 from Cabelas or L.L. Bean brand new, it's a good unit for the price.

That is too much to pay for the black and white Legend that connects to a computer with the Serial Port, especially if a person's laptop doesn't have a Serial Port and they have to spend more money on a Serial to USB adapter. :laughing:

A Legend C should be in that same price range.

Thanks for all the help so far!!!

Next question...looks like the eTrex Vista and the Legend C are the two most recommended. If price wasn't an issue, which of these two would be the best? I would hate to get one and 6 months in want to upgrade...lol

I started with the Vista and it was a great GPSr . . . in 2004. I upgraded to the Vista C so I could load the City Navigator maps, which auto-route me to the cache, and through unfamiliar areas when I am traveling.

The Vista connects with the Serial port, and this laptop doesn't even have one of those. The Legend C connects with USB. Transfering your tracks and waypoints back to your computer is much faster using USB, and if you get the maps, and need to change mapsets, that transfer doesn't take nearly as long as the Serial transfer.

The Buy It Now price on this eBay item is very good. My only hesitation would be that the seller has no feedback as a seller. :rolleyes: I wouldn't purchase that particular item for that reason.

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty familiar with the Garmin GPS V because it's the one we use during our hot air balloon chases. Is that a good one for geocaching? Is there another one that you'd recommend as better?

Help!!!

I've been using a GPS III+ for finding caches (14 so far I think), so I'd imagine the V would work (think it's WAAS enabled too) though if it eats batteries like my III+ you'll want something else (I got a yellow etrex and geko 201 on the way). If you wanted to you could probably get a yellow Etrex H and use it for the final leg of the cache and the GPS V for the getting to the parking area.

Hi everyone!

Help!!!

Hi everyone,

I am too, looking for my first GPS unit. I have never use one but I would like to pick one up for geocaching as well as in the car for direction, also I do not want to have update in the next few months, and price range around $200. Any other suggestions would be great appreciate.

Please help!!!

Thank you

The Buy It Now price on this eBay item is very good. My only hesitation would be that the seller has no feedback as a seller. :rolleyes: I wouldn't purchase that particular item for that reason.

Hey, until you sell something, how can you get seller feedback. While I can actually somewhat understand where you're getting at, how do you get seller feedback until you start selling? :rolleyes:

I will say this person has some initial good buyer feedback so maybe give him/her a chance.......

You are right . . . but, if I was considering making that purchase, from that seller, I would definitely email them with a simple question about the item to see what their response time is.

It would have been better for them to start selling less-expensive items first to build up a reputation for selling items "just as described" and "shipped promptly with good packaging." :rolleyes:

You are right . . . but, if I was considering making that purchase, from that seller, I would definitely email them with a simple question about the item to see what their response time is.

It would have been better for them to start selling less-expensive items first to build up a reputation for selling items "just as described" and "shipped promptly with good packaging." :ninja:

I bought a gpsmap 60 from ebay for $200 shipped, and i am very happy with it so far. You may want to add maps later if your auto routing (I felt the base map was worthless for in city navigating) but with nav software this has been an amazing unit on and off road. Good luck!

It would have been better for them to start selling less-expensive items first to build up a reputation for selling items "just as described" and "shipped promptly with good packaging." :ph34r:

True, that's how I did my first sales. Just wanted to clarify it, thanks.