Forum change request: Listing of GPSr you own

Rhialto

Would it be a good idea to have the option to list on the left the GPSr everyone own? I've seen some forums that let's us list the cellular model we had and/or we use. vBulletin was used but it may be possible with IPB also.

<--- just here

Would it be a good idea to have the option to list on the left the GPSr everyone own? I've seen some forums that let's us list the cellular model we had and/or we use. vBulletin was used but it may be possible with IPB also.

<--- just here

That is not a half bad idea.

In fact- its pretty darn good.

Of course many have multiple units. Maybe an option for main caching unit and then extras can be listed on their card/profile or something along those lines.

<--- just here

That is not a half bad idea.

In fact- its pretty darn good.

Of course many have multiple units. Maybe an option for main caching unit and then extras can be listed on their card/profile or something along those lines.

Second that suggestion. Would also help to eliminate confusion when some ask questions about their GPSr and don't specify which unit they are referring to.

You mean like this...

<-----

I guess being a premium member does have it's benifits!

Yeah but i don't want to use that line for this option.

Most users wont unless in their profile is a line that says:

Main GPS used for caching:_______________________________

On another forum, just 3 weeks ago they added the age. So we had to go in our profile because there was a new field to be filled, we enter our birthday and now when we read messages a quick look on the left let us know the age of the person. That was of course optional.

So here maybe the age is not what we are looking for but adding a field in the profile (for everyone) where we can write the GPSr we own would be a great addon. Maybe a roll menu for selection so that we won't see 60csx or 60CsX or 60 CSX but that mean the list will have to be up to date.

I will try to look if IPB as such an addon option. Anyone know if v2 will keep using IPB?

edit: There are a lot at http://www.invisionize.com/

Edited by Rhialto

I don't think there's a lot of overlap in the folks that control the forum options of global profiles and those that read this board. Feature requests of the forum are probably better asked in the Web Site group.

Since you can edit your forum signature, your forum profile, and your Groundspeak profile, I wouldn't expect great enthusiasm so when you make the case be sure to describe why you think the existing fields aren't adequate.

I don't think there's a lot of overlap in the folks that control the forum options of global profiles and those that read this board. Feature requests of the forum are probably better asked in the Web Site group.

Maybe someone can correct me. It has been a few years since i had my own forums on a web site i owned.

It would seem to me that it would be as easy as adding another line of info.

Maybe we can get an official word on this.

Feature requests of the forum are probably better asked in the Web Site group.

Maybe we can get an official word on this.

In this forum, you're unlikely to get an official word on any such thing. Your request is better asked in the Web Site forum where the people that actually run/control the forum software hang out.

True Robert, in fact I asked here 1st because obviously we are all talking about GPSr and being able to know what people own could be helpful to ask a user about his GPSr, at least bring up a discussion.

Since all the Geocaching activity turn around a GPSr it would be a great addon.

Since people seems to like the idea, I forwarded it to Jeremy. I could have also went in the GC Web site forum and add a link to here.

True Robert, in fact I asked here 1st because obviously we are all talking about GPSr and being able to know what people own could be helpful to ask a user about his GPSr, at least bring up a discussion.

Since all the Geocaching activity turn around a GPSr it would be a great addon.

Since people seems to like the idea, I forwarded it to Jeremy. I could have also went in the GC Web site forum and add a link to here.

I again want to say i think it is a brilliant idea.

Users could share that info in their sig line. Probably less than 5% of users would though.

But if there was a line on the profile page- it would be filled in most of the time.

It seems to me that this thread should be in the website forums anyway.

Users could share that info in their sig line. Probably less than 5% of users would though.

But if there was a line on the profile page- it would be filled in most of the time.

Absolutly true...

It seems to me that this thread should be in the website forums anyway.

Ok, time's up here, calling a moderator to move it... :P

On another forum, just 3 weeks ago they added the age. So we had to go in our profile because there was a new field to be filled, we enter our birthday and now when we read messages a quick look on the left let us know the age of the person. That was of course optional.

So here maybe the age is not what we are looking for but adding a field in the profile (for everyone) where we can write the GPSr we own would be a great addon. Maybe a roll menu for selection so that we won't see 60csx or 60CsX or 60 CSX but that mean the list will have to be up to date.

I will try to look if IPB as such an addon option. Anyone know if v2 will keep using IPB?

edit: There are a lot at http://www.invisionize.com/

Was the other board the same type?

I cant get that site to come up. Maybe later. :P

I'll take a stab.

I have done forum experimentation on my personal site with phpBB and phpNuke. That includes using a php editor to monkey around with the code and trying to change it and hoping I didn't break it. That left column is pretty well set and cannot be changed unless you really get deep into the code, and that code is pretty complex. You would need to find the relation between that part of the code that is generated on each topic page view and the profile and attempt to add in the cross referencing code. From what I have seen, this is done via several of the files within the php folders and you would have to make sure you edit each one properly. php tends to use several files to assemble a single page. Miss one and you might kill the forum.

Wait. Kill the forum? Um, might not be a bad idea to try it after all. :D:(

You are better off adding it to your signature line or adding it as your forum avatar signature (the puppymonster will bite me if I change mine though). A line on the profile page is probably a more effective and easy way to accomplish this in the future.

Great. Give me the link please. I would like to test it in my forums. I may open one up for another group I am a part of and I would love for people to be able to add their in-game identification number in there.

(Pssst... some people go geocaching without a GPS, by the way.)

Edited by mtn-man

Ok I spent a few minutes looking at the link I wrote already which is http://www.invisionize.com/ and I found the age you enter in your profile will display in topic view also. That's not exactly it but it's similar, an input field in profile and it is displayed in topic view.

With the v2 they are talking about, do they plan to upgrade to IPB to 2.3 or stay with 2.1? It may be already there in 2.3... look at all the new feature at http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/

Oh btw, another one I find interesting, last seen displayed below name: http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php?f=6718

I would personally not want to see a conglomeration of pictures or lists of GPSrs on my screen. If you feel that your GPRs is so important, then do what Miragee does. If its not quite that important to you, but you still want illustrate what tools you are packing, do it the way Rhialto is doing (in your sig line). You might also want to go ahead and list your cache-mobile and other caching tools. You might as well also list your computer and your operating system. But do make sure that the words Garmin, Magellan, Microsoft, Ferrari don't show up because that would be advertisement.

Ok I spent a few minutes looking at the link I wrote already which is http://www.invisionize.com/ and I found the age you enter in your profile will display in topic view also. That's not exactly it but it's similar, an input field in profile and it is displayed in topic view.

With the v2 they are talking about, do they plan to upgrade to IPB to 2.3 or stay with 2.1? It may be already there in 2.3... look at all the new feature at http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/

Oh btw, another one I find interesting, last seen displayed below name: http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php?f=6718

It looks like what you are posting links to are user modifications. These users have done what I have described above. They have torn their way into the script and have written specific modifications that don't involve what I would call "wildcard input". The modification needed to do what you are asking for is something that allows the site admin to add a text area to the left data area that is under the avatar, to have the ability to define the text area in any way they want and sync that text area back to the profile section of the "My Controls" section of the forum user's interface by entering an admin defined text entry area. The user then would be able to input the information on their "My Controls" page so it would be displayed as post are entered.

One thing. I know the GC crew knows enough about that area to have sync'd site information over there (date joined and linking back to the main site's profile page). Is this worth breaking off of the current work they are doing to improve site performance? In my opinion, no. My vote is to ask users to post it in their signature lines. I personally am still interested in that type of existing modification though.

I would personally not want to see a conglomeration of pictures or lists of GPSrs on my screen.

It would be listed only under the "From" below your name on the left.

Group: Premium Members

GPSr: insert here

Thus when you see an active member who own a Mio H610 you would be able to ask him (or PM him): Hey I was about to get that unit, how you like it?

Or someone who got a 60CS: hey I also have that unit and I'd like to know if yours...

I would personally not want to see a conglomeration of pictures or lists of GPSrs on my screen.

It would be listed only under the "From" below your name on the left.

Thus when you see an active member who own a Mio H610 you would be able to ask him (or PM him): Hey I was about to get that unit, how you like it?

Or someone who got a 60CS: hey I also have that unit and I'd like to know if yours...

What would be the default entry until someone enters a GPSr?

GPSr: unknown

Also what if someone wants to list their GPSr but doesn't want to be bothered by others. Will there be option like this:

I do NOT want to be contacted

with questions about my GPSr.

Will any text be allowed to be entered in the GPSr textbox or will there a list to select from? Who will research all the old and current models of GPSr to make the list and who will monitor for new models of GPSr and GPS enabled phones?