How do you store your Geocoins?

tw3nty3ight

There are unlimited ways to store your coins.... as far as them falling out......

I have seen several ways to help this,

keeping them in a plastic flip and then putting them in the page helps keep them from sliding

placing little velcro circles in the page slots

staple the slot closed

these may not be the best ways but just some i have seen

I recently went to the coin store and purchased actual coin books and some different page sizes then used an exacto knife to cut the pages to fit the odd shaped ones. These books are a bit expensive but look very nice when you are done and you can view both sides of the coin.

I just bought a binder and im using baseball card sleeves as some geocoins are bigger and can hold the coin envelopes. BUT I have ran into a problem with using these if I move the binder around too much the coins fall right out. Is there any tips or trick I should know?

http://www.geocoin-info.net/BINDER/index.html

This is a great page for information on how to keep those coins in there. I use the same method discussed on that page, using 6mm craft foam.

Here is mine:

coinalbum1.jpg

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

We just saw Princess Lisa's coin holder at the MWGB. She uses the card sleeves and the craft foam. She cut out the foam for each of the coins and placed them in foam holes.

She even had the foam color coordinated based on personals, state/places, etc. I dont' know if she has a picture or not, but I liked her method and am trying to convince Chris we should do the same thing. :laughing:

A&T, did you use self stick labels to identify them? That's AWESOME!

Yep, I do...I get the sheet of self-stick labels and use Microsoft Word to put in the info, including the tracking number in red to make discovery easier (yes, I Photochopped them out...even the TB dog tags). :laughing:

Edited by Arthur & Trillian
A&T, did you use self stick labels to identify them? That's AWESOME!

Yep, I do...I get the sheet of self-stick labels and use Microsoft Word to put in the info, including the tracking number in red to make discovery easier (yes, I Photochopped them out...even the TB dog tags). :laughing:

Wow--what a time consuming task! Your binder is fantastic.

We currently store our coins in a box, which was fine when we started caching, buuuut we've quickly outgorwn the box.

Hmm, I think I've found a new use for some leftover TB tags I purchased in bulk, hadn't even thought of using them to make non-trackable coins trackable! :laughing:

I'd originally tried using the velcro dots on each coin pocket, but that doesn't work well for mini micros or for large or odd shaped coins. Then when I decided to rearrange how I'd organized my coins, I realized that placing the velcro dots close edge of the coins meant I couldn't put a larger coin in the same spot! Doh!

So now I'm taking the plastic flip the coin comes in, cutting off the side with the info card, and then stapling the flip shut, in an attempt to keep the coin from slipping out completely and from rolling around. I've found that not all types of coin flips have the same amount of "stick" when you put them into the binder sheets, so you still have to be a little careful about flipping through the pages too fast if you hold the book with the top edge angled downward. Leaving the binder in your car trunk on a hot day helps meld the flip to the binder sheet, I've found. :o

The mounting method you are using is very impressive, I bet you're an expert with an x-acto knife when it comes to cutting around odd shaped coins! :(

I started out with some binders.......

P1010041.jpg

I filled two up pretty fast, and quickly decided that they are too expensive to use, so I made this...

P1010040.jpg

Once that was full, I switched to the slightly less sophisticated method, shown below... :laughing:

P1010036.jpg

P1010037.jpg

Now I have coins laying all over the house, in my car, in my desk at work... you name it. :o

I've learned that if you're going to use the craft foam, try to get the 3mm thick instead of the 2mm thick. Also you can take individual coin sleeves, which can usually be bought where the pages are, and cut off the open end to make them approximately square. then turn them so the closed end is up, put your coin in the sleeve, then insert the sleeve in the page. This encloses it all the way around and they won't fall out.

I've learned that if you're going to use the craft foam, try to get the 3mm thick instead of the 2mm thick. Also you can take individual coin sleeves, which can usually be bought where the pages are, and cut off the open end to make them approximately square. then turn them so the closed end is up, put your coin in the sleeve, then insert the sleeve in the page. This encloses it all the way around and they won't fall out.

Actually, just buy 6mm foam. The coins will not slip out.

I recently did this after seeing musneaker's album at an event. I used the 3 mm - does the 6mm still fit into regular baseball card sleeves?

I recently did this after seeing musneaker's album at an event. I used the 3 mm - does the 6mm still fit into regular baseball card sleeves?

Yes it does...very snug, the way it should be.

I started out with some binders.......

*snip*

I filled two up pretty fast, and quickly decided that they are too expensive to use, so I made this...

*snip*

Once that was full, I switched to the slightly less sophisticated method, shown below... :)

*snip*

P1010037.jpg

Now I have coins laying all over the house, in my car, in my desk at work... you name it. :rolleyes:

Looks just like mine! Except I just have a big pile next to the fireplace.....hmmmmm better move that before winter. LOL...BTW i see the Secret Mission xle coins i sent you in there! VERY COOL! :P

Jayman11

Edited by jho135

Looks just like mine! Except I just have a big pile next to the fireplace.....hmmmmm better move that before winter. LOL...BTW i see the Secret Mission xle coins i sent you in there! VERY COOL! :rolleyes:

Jayman11

Yep! I had to make room on my display rack for them last night. They are now sitting on the first row where the admin brick used to be... :P No sense stuffing them into a book where no one can see them. :)

157078_sk_lg.jpg

Would these work instead of the baseball card sleeves?

I dunno. In my experience, business card holders use plastic that is a lot more rigid then what they use for baseball cards. baseball card holders are more flexible, to allow foam inserts to be put in.

Would these work instead of the baseball card sleeves?

I dunno. In my experience, business card holders use plastic that is a lot more rigid then what they use for baseball cards. baseball card holders are more flexible, to allow foam inserts to be put in.

Thanks A&T, I'm not familiar with either the baseball card sleeves or the business card holders, so I was just curious. We're going to buy baseball card sleeves and foam tonight so I can start constructing tomorrow--YAY! :rolleyes:

The initial baseball cards sleeves I used were too thin and started to tear. I also tried the foam method but they still fell out. I now use a method like Nolefan's. I buy the crown size flips at a coin store or at the caching place and the pages with 12 to a page and this has worked quite well

The initial baseball cards sleeves I used were too thin and started to tear. I also tried the foam method but they still fell out. I now use a method like Nolefan's. I buy the crown size flips at a coin store or at the caching place and the pages with 12 to a page and this has worked quite well

What size foam did you use? Two and three millimeter foam is too thin and yes they will fall out. Six millimeter foam is so thick the coin can't fall out.

What size foam did you use? Two and three millimeter foam is too thin and yes they will fall out. Six millimeter foam is so thick the coin can't fall out.

Bought it at Michael's as it said in an earlier thread. Not sure of the thickness right now as its not right in front of me. Will check later...

I just bought a binder and im using baseball card sleeves as some geocoins are bigger and can hold the coin envelopes. BUT I have ran into a problem with using these if I move the binder around too much the coins fall right out. Is there any tips or trick I should know?

http://www.geocoin-info.net/BINDER/index.html

This is a great page for information on how to keep those coins in there. I use the same method discussed on that page, using 6mm craft foam.

<snip>

That is the same method I use.

For Father's Day last year I introduced my dad to geocaching. Now he is fully into it AND collecting geocoins. For Father's Day this year, I bought all the stuff to create a binder for my coins and another for Dad's coins.

We spent the day together putting the binders together.

We could only locate 2mm and 3mm foam. We used 3mm foam for the coin pages. I haven't had any slip out yet. In between each page of coins, I used a document protector page with a sheet of 2mm foam to keep the pages from banging together.

I bought a label maker at Walmart and affix a label with the tracking number to the foam before sliding it into the card sleeve.

The problem I've found with the business card sheets...

They are usually too narrow for standard geocoins. for the smaller coin alternatives they'll probably work fine.

I need to do some updating to the binder instruction page because I have some new ideas and some suggestions to integrate and add. I have a link for sheets other than baseball cards. This will probably be handy for placing multiple coins or interlocking coins into the same pocket. Another is a suggestion from a previous thread that uses a metallic printable sticker that really looks outstanding. I always wanted to put labels on the coins but I was never happy with any of the label ideas I came up with. Avery has a metallic sticker that looks totally awesome. While I don't have the info here, I will definitely be crediting the originator for that one.

Also, for those who don't want to cut out the foam, they do make flip pages that hold like 16 or so coins to a page. I will be including links to those pages as well.

I'm also looking into finding a way to cut out matte like material. It will be a matter of finding double sided material that will be easy to cut out odd shapes that has me stumped right now.

Looks just like mine! Except I just have a big pile next to the fireplace.....hmmmmm better move that before winter. LOL...BTW i see the Secret Mission xle coins i sent you in there! VERY COOL! ;)

Jayman11

Yep! I had to make room on my display rack for them last night. They are now sitting on the first row where the admin brick used to be... :mad: No sense stuffing them into a book where no one can see them. ;)

LOL...i just always get a kick out of that!

Jayman11

There is a web site that sells geocoin cases, 3 colors to choose from and are inexpensive. Only thing is I forgot the name of it,,lol... Just type in geocoin cases it should come up, or a variety that sells them. Hope that helps?

Was unable to locate what you where describing based on the keyword description. Any more hints? Links?

Yay!! We have all of our materials.

We got some good deals too....

Foam--last night we found a few pieces of the 6mm black at JoAnn Fabrics, but it was $1.49 for a 9x12 sheet! That's really expensive. Michaels didn't carry any of the 6mm foam at all. Today, I went to Pat Catans, a regional craft store (http://www.patcatans.com/site/389/Stores.aspx) and they had about 5 sheets of the black 6mm and it was only 89 cents!!!!! The lady was so nice and went in the back and found more packs for me so I got all that we needed (until our coin collection grows!).

Card sleeves--Target had them 20 or 25 sheets for $5.00 but we got 70 sheets at Wal*Mart for $9.97.

Binders--we looked at Wal*Mart and Target last night, but the cheapest one they had was 7.99. Today I went to Big Lots and they had a TON of the zipper binders for $5 and $6. They had 3 inch binders for 6 and they also had the 1.5 and 2 in binders for $6, as well as a very basic zipper one for $5.00. I bought the 3 inch ones and the 2 inch and we're going to see which works best.

I also got the compass cutter last night at Michaels for 5.99, so I think we're all set.

I can't wait to get started!!

huzzah! forum working now on my mac - I can see a recent post!

I change the display around http://feralcaching.files.wordpress.com/20...edgraphic-4.png

I had some glow in the dark ones taped to the top of a clear acrylic container and housed the whole thing as a cache in a "glow in the dark" shop window. Unfortunately the business keeps very odd hours and i have had to rethink the placement as a night cache in the woods.

this one looks really nice and very reasonable to the USA http://cgi.ebay.com/Maple-GeoCoin-Display-...tem330150293080

Well....after an hour of experimenting, the compass cutter won't cut through the 6mm foam...cutting all 200+ coins by hand will take forever, sooo we're going to go with the 3 mm foam.

Don't give up on the 6mm, lindsychris...that's what we use and the compass cutter works just fine on it. Just put the needle in the spot you want to cut and take it from there. It works...trust me! :o

I created this to take to events to show off some of my favorite coins. I also turned it into a travel bug.

01115949-8548-443b-9eb8-e0c9a157e74d.jpg

c623205c-9ec1-4a56-b9c3-aebe09eab48a.jpg

b16d78ed-0f08-4a84-a840-9d66e377cbba.jpg

I really like how your coin holder turned out. I've been looking for an alternative to put a small number of coins into. I didn't think coins would fit into business card holders that easily.... but it looks very nice.

When I saw Nero at a recent event, He also had a travel bug attached to his coin binder. He included business cards that had the tracking numbers for the coins in the binder. This way he could hand over a card instead of having take the time to write down all the tracking numbers. This particular binder holds a limited number of coins and is by far no where near his entire collection.

Well I can never seem to get ahead on this project. I have since filled another box that is not part of this photo.

LOL! :o I have the same problem. I filled a few binders in the beginning

and then my collection just exploded. Now all coins not in a binder are placed

in a fireproof/waterproof safe until I can get to them.

coinsafe1.jpg

coinsafe2.jpg

Edited by TMOCM

Well....after an hour of experimenting, the compass cutter won't cut through the 6mm foam...cutting all 200+ coins by hand will take forever, sooo we're going to go with the 3 mm foam.

Don't give up on the 6mm, lindsychris...that's what we use and the compass cutter works just fine on it. Just put the needle in the spot you want to cut and take it from there. It works...trust me! :o

Ugh! I should have emailed you or checked this thread before I headed out this morning. I returned the 6mm and got the 3 mm in the 12x18 sheets so it was less than 1/2 the price. We tried a few in the 3mm last night, and as long as the foam was wide enough to ensure a tight fit side-to-side in the sleeve, it worked just fine. Chris had a good time trying to make the coins fall out though!

I wonder if they make different types of compass cutters...Michaels only had one, and I figured it would work, but the one we have would JUST cuts through the 3mm (the blade is really small).

I can't wait to get a sheet down and post pics!

:) I stopped into Hobby Lobby today and asked about compass cutters, and they looked at me like I had asked for a crucial part for the space shuttle. Apparently they don't carry such a thing, they'd never heard of it, can't get it, and generally seemed irritated that I had even asked. :lol:

:) I stopped into Hobby Lobby today and asked about compass cutters, and they looked at me like I had asked for a crucial part for the space shuttle. Apparently they don't carry such a thing, they'd never heard of it, can't get it, and generally seemed irritated that I had even asked. :lol:

Michael's has it.

Label question...we used the standard return address (30 to a page) labels...annnnnnnnnnd they don't fit on the foam. Did we cut our foam too narrow, do you cut the labels, o you put the label on the sleeve???

No...you have to cut the label a bit to fit them. I put it right on the foam.