Airway Beacon Find

frex3wv

Found this one the other day and couldn't be happier - as it was soooo cool! (see story logged on linked page below).

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=HX3034

I need help.

I want to log this one on the gov't site - but A) don't know how to and B ) not sure how to report it (found, destroyed, etc.)

Any help on these 2 issues would be grealy appreciated!

Thanks.

Edited by frex3wv

Great find, and good photos!

The government website no longer wants "aerial intersection point" recoveries, which is what this would be. Nevertheless, it is an excellent addition to the logs on geocaching.com/mark. Nice job!

-Paul-

Thanks for the responses. Slightly disappointed I guess that they don't want recovery notes on this one as its one of only 2 I have had a first to find/log on. I still need to turn the other one in - but am alittle intimidated/unsure of how to exactly do it.

In response to the question asked - as best I could tell - the light fixture is up there and just lying there (see pics) - not mounted.

Was curious about when it was build - and decommmisioned ( I know it was at least the late 70's) so have a call in to the FAA to see if they have records to share with me. Any other ideas about how to find said info?

Edited by frex3wv

Yes it would be interesting to know when these were built. We know that yours was there in 44.

OZ1010 was moved to it's present location in 45. Original location was over a large cement arrow that was part of the original air mail system around 1930.

The large cement arrow pointed to a refueling airport about 6 miles away near King Hill, Id. (airport 22)

Looks like '30s technology in the electrical box, to me.

Be sure to post here if you find any good info.

Quote from above interesting link:

" In 1928, the Bureau of Standards also developed a radio navigation beacon system, and in 1929 the Aeronautics Branch standardized a four-course radio range whereby pilots listened to audio signals to determine if they were on course. The Aeronautics Branch stepped up installation of four-course radio ranges, and this technology became standard for civil air navigation through World War II."

One of those four-course radio ranges (so-called "A-N" type) was still operating in the northern Carribean (Bahamas area) around 1975 or so, and while flying my Air Force C-9A, I talked the controller into letting us fly it (I belive it was "Amber Airway"), which he did. We also spotted (and "followed") several of the associated Airway Beacons (maybe de-commissioned by then) on small islands and points of larger islands along the way (it was daytime). Wish I remembered the island names.... Of course, we also had VOR/DME/TACAN and radar, but it was fun and nostalgic anyway. We had to re-integrate back to the real world of aviation / electronic navigation as we approached the coast of Florida, and got some strange replies from the controller as we reported departing the Amber Airway for ... wherever.

Anyone here ever fly an Airway Beacon in the US? Maybe not.....

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama