metal or plastic?

I have a cache that is a coffee can. its a hard one to find but its very well hide. last hunting season some idiot shot it with a shotgun, the log book is soaked ( even though it was in a zip-lock bag) anyway, I need to replace it, from all of your feedback I should be able to think up an answer...so I need to know which is better, metal or plastic coffee cans?

thank you,------------------->codeman3

Coffee cans historically tend to be relatively poor cache containers as they tend to leak. I have on occassion found one that is ok, but most tend to be damp at best. I'm sure I won't be the last to say this but something like a Lock 'n' Lock container, or for serious durability an ammo can, will hold up a lot better in the wild.

If you are sticking to coffee cans, I think the plastic ones might be better as they won't rust out.

I don't mean this to be sarcastic, but if somebody shot it and it's well hidden then I'm guessing it was accidental. If it was on purpose, it's probably not so well hidden as you think and you may wish to re-evaluate the camoflage.

I have a cache that is a coffee can. its a hard one to find but its very well hide. last hunting season some idiot shot it with a shotgun, the log book is soaked ( even though it was in a zip-lock bag) anyway, I need to replace it, from all of your feedback I should be able to think up an answer...so I need to know which is better, metal or plastic coffee cans?

thank you,------------------->codeman3

I guess maybe it is not hidden very well, so plactic or metal would not much of a differance. If it was shot intentionaly, it was not the hard to find. It may have been by accident when the hunter was shooting at some game that was close to the cache. This would not make the hunter an idiot as you were rude enough to refer to the hunter as.

If you really think it was intentional, then at least one person willing to destroy a cache knows where it is and is likely to do it again, so your first action should be to relocate the cache. Then choose an entirely new container. If I had no choice but to use a coffee can, I'd go plastic. The metal ones rust quickly. But neither kind is a good cache container.

Ok, the first question I have to ask is... why, oh why, are you buying/drinking coffee out of a can?!

The horror! :P

That said, I agree with the others here who've suggested using other types of containers. Any Martmart, and even some grocery stores carry better, inexpensive alternatives. No, they don't come with your favorite drink in them, but for a couple bucks, you can buy a plastic container that snaps shut and has an o-ring in it to keep out the damp.

It's a very small investment, considering the amount of time it should last... if you can keep it hidden from gun-toting whackos (obligatory :) for anyone who thinks I'm serious about that gun-toting part).

michelle

The metal is fine on a coffe can. The lid is what doesn't work well and doesn't hold up. Plastic coffee 'cans' may hold up a tad better in the lid department.

However I agree with the rest. Ammo cans are better suited if you can lay your hands on one. Also the cache spot has been compromised by a doofie. You will need to move the cache. Not even ammo cans survive a shotgun all that well.

If you can't find an ammo can, widemouth Nalgene bottles work very well:

nalgene3.JPG

These things are a beee-atch to get the spiral bound notebook out of after it's been squished enough to get it in, and then expanded once past that lip. :)

I did see one that was very nicely made into a 'log' stuck into the crotch of tree once, though. Impressive, for sure.

Plastic containers from the Martmart (with snapping sides and a gasket) are still cheaper. The non-clear, softer, not-ideal-for-a-cache Nalgenes are around $4.50... and the clear bottles with the looped tops are upwards of $8 for a 16oz container... more for something larger.

My bet is that since we started out talking about coffee cans... that suggestions for cheap and easy to acquire alternatives would be ideal.

The guys who don't want to spend any money on containers around here just go get the free film can discards from the 1-hr film place. :P

michelle

These things are a beee-atch to get the spiral bound notebook out of after it's been squished enough to get it in, and then expanded once past that lip.

I've been using wide mouth bottles recently. I'm out of ammo boxes and BJs (the local warehouse store) is selling a 4 pack of wide mouth, lexan bottles made by Swiss Gear for $8. I cut down the the notepad so it's easy to get out.

Here they are, before and after:

9b859348-3a20-4350-9a51-80676fe55f48.jpg

The least expensive, widely available container I can think of is the rubbermaid with blue edge. They're everywhere - Mart, grocery, dollar store. A step down from lock and lock perhaps, but pretty good.

On my one cacheing foray into desert country I saw plastic coffee cans hold up okay. Moisture not much of an issue. The lids fail though.

Ammo can #1 as long as salt exposure isn't an issue, and you can hide it well enough to not be stolen or shot by a hunter.

Though the ammo cans in the forest near me that have disappeared have all disappeared during small game season, when the hunters here are using leased scent dogs. I expect the dogs are curious about the can's odor and point them out. Not much to be done about that, except maybe pull those hides during that season. I consider it an acceptable risk.

I've completed my investigation, and have determined that your cache was shot unintentionally, but not by a hunter. A top secret black ops group was infiltrating the area near your cache, when one of the members got down wind of it. He suffered an immediate and violent allergic reaction to the trace amounts of coffee remaining on the can, and was convulsing. He squeezed the trigger on his silenced H&K MP-5, accidentally riddling your cache. He was going to replace it, but figured doing so might rob him of the anonymity necessary for a black ops operator. He sends his apologies.

Back on topic: Use an ammo can or a Lock & Lock. Much better than coffee cans, and you won't need to worry about "gubment" financed ninjas. <_<

The least expensive, widely available container I can think of is the rubbermaid with blue edge. They're everywhere - Mart, grocery, dollar store. A step down from lock and lock perhaps, but pretty good.

I don't know whether it is a factor of age, or what, but the rubbermaid with the blue edge are not waterproof after a while. We've had to pull the ones we had in the field and replace them with other containers, mostly ammo cans. After a while, the blue seal just doesn't keep out the water like we thought it would. They've even been in places that we thought were well protected from water.

I don't know whether it is a factor of age, or what, but the rubbermaid with the blue edge are not waterproof after a while. We've had to pull the ones we had in the field and replace them with other containers, mostly ammo cans. After a while, the blue seal just doesn't keep out the water like we thought it would. They've even been in places that we thought were well protected from water.

I agree - The 3 I had out all eventually failed at being water resistant. One of them lasted 3 years but eventually was useless. The others lasted a bit under 2 years before starting to consistently leak.

I just replaced a plastic paint can that has been out since Nov '03. It was working really well until someone didn't screw the lid on tight enough and it got just ever so slightly damp (not sopping wet, mind you).

I probably didn't need to remove it and could have cleaned it out (soap and water to get rid of the smell), but I've noticed that 'we' have a problem with twist-top closures. Because people tend to NOT screw them on straight (in a hurry? lazy? ???) so they have a tendency to get damp and/or take on water.

SO many of the caches here smell SO bad because people use inferior container-types (the ever present film cannisters and altoids tins) and it is a very wet place.

michelle

If you can't find an ammo can, widemouth Nalgene bottles work very well:

nalgene3.JPG

These things are a beee-atch to get the spiral bound notebook out of after it's been squished enough to get it in, and then expanded once past that lip. <_<

I did see one that was very nicely made into a 'log' stuck into the crotch of tree once, though. Impressive, for sure.

Plastic containers from the Martmart (with snapping sides and a gasket) are still cheaper. The non-clear, softer, not-ideal-for-a-cache Nalgenes are around $4.50... and the clear bottles with the looped tops are upwards of $8 for a 16oz container... more for something larger.

My bet is that since we started out talking about coffee cans... that suggestions for cheap and easy to acquire alternatives would be ideal.

The guys who don't want to spend any money on containers around here just go get the free film can discards from the 1-hr film place. :P

michelle

I don't use spiral notebooks for logbooks, I use some better quality notebooks I picked up at a craft store, then just roll them into a tube, add some rubber bands, into a zip-lock back and into the Nalgene.

The Rubbermaids I've used lasted about 2 years before they had to be replaced.

As far as least expensive? Not in the supermarkets around me. Even a small Rubbermaid container is $4 and the bigger ones are $5 or $6. They do go on sale periodically, but I can get a Lock n Lock for $2.97 at Walmart or a Nalgene Straight Jar for between $1.50 and $2.99 and they are a bit easier to camoflage. The shape of the Rubbermaid makes using camo tape difficult. Still, if you can get them on sale they will work well for quite a while.

Edited by briansnat

I have found Nalgene bottles at local Thrift Stores and have used them in a couple of locations. If you want to use a spiral bound notebook in them, you can use a straight edge and a utility knife to cut it down the center to get a two skinny notebooks. idea.gif

@brainsnat -- How did you get the stencil?

On my one cacheing foray into desert country I saw plastic coffee cans hold up okay. Moisture not much of an issue. The lids fail though.

Ammo can #1 as long as salt exposure isn't an issue, and you can hide it well enough to not be stolen or shot by a hunter.

Though the ammo cans in the forest near me that have disappeared have all disappeared during small game season, when the hunters here are using leased scent dogs. I expect the dogs are curious about the can's odor and point them out. Not much to be done about that, except maybe pull those hides during that season. I consider it an acceptable risk.

I would try some scent killer to keep the dogs from noticing the ammo cans. You can get a pretty big bottle of it from most stores with hunting equipment

Scent_Killer_combo_Kit__300.jpg.

The least expensive, widely available container I can think of is the rubbermaid with blue edge. They're everywhere - Mart, grocery, dollar store. A step down from lock and lock perhaps, but pretty good

I stand corrected. Actually, I'm buying lock and locks in bulk from Heritage Mint, and they're cheaper than the blue rimmed Rubbermaid. At least I was right about widely available. :D I've also had quite good results with large thermos bottles. $1 from Goodwill.

I had no idea a scent killer product existed. Interesting.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I live in germany and have no access to ammo boxes. What are acceptable alternatives besides the lock and locks (and I'm still not sure what those are...)

I've found a few caches, and the ones that were not micros were Tupperware. One of the tupperwares was also cracked. Is there something I can buy or make for under 50 dollars that will be reliable as a cache? I would like to place one, but not until I can get something I know isn't going to fall apart!

All the caches had the tupperware wrapped in plastic bags, several. Does that even help? The first cache was not damp, but two others I found were....

I live in germany and have no access to ammo boxes. What are acceptable alternatives besides the lock and locks (and I'm still not sure what those are...)

I've found a few caches, and the ones that were not micros were Tupperware. One of the tupperwares was also cracked. Is there something I can buy or make for under 50 dollars that will be reliable as a cache? I would like to place one, but not until I can get something I know isn't going to fall apart!

All the caches had the tupperware wrapped in plastic bags, several. Does that even help? The first cache was not damp, but two others I found were....

Wrapping the cache in a plastic bag is a very bad idea. One of the worst caches I ever found was in a black plastic trash bag that was very icky . . . :(

Do you have "Thrift Stores" over there? I have found some excellent containers at Thrift Stores here, including wide-mouthe Nalgene bottles for $.99 that would have cost several dollars elsewhere.

Cookie tins last a pretty long time. I have found a few of those that have been out for more than four years. However, it doesn't rain very much here . . . and doesn't snow . . . :D

Do you have "Thrift Stores" over there? I have found some excellent containers at Thrift Stores here, including wide-mouthe Nalgene bottles for $.99 that would have cost several dollars elsewhere.

Cookie tins last a pretty long time. I have found a few of those that have been out for more than four years. However, it doesn't rain very much here . . . and doesn't snow . . . :(

There is a thrift store right on a base near me, and I was there a few days ago looking for nifty items to put in caches, but can't say I saw any bottles. I can always buy nalgene bottles online though, if everyone thinks thats decent enough.

Good thing I know about the plastic bags now though, I thought it was par for course since I keep seeing them!

Another item we have used for several caches is a 1 quart insulated drink container, like these in the link.

http://www.igloo-store.com/product_detail....=personbeverage

No, we don't buy them new... but you can pick them up frequently at garage sales for 50c or $1. If you go to a large rummage sale, like ones often held at churches, you can sometimes pick up several real cheap. Seal the spout with silicone, and it is a very water resistant container! Hubby likes to camoflauge them. We've had one out for almost 5 years with no problems. It is rather large, but with all the boulders around here, it is pretty easy to find a niche to slide one in between boulders.

We have another one hidden absolutely in plain sight... but that is a feature of the camo hubby created for that one!

Another one is camoed and ready to put out.... we just need to find the spot for it.

A good cheap solution for preventing cracked plastic lids is camo/duct tape. I have several different plastic containers out baking in the hot Arizona sun. I usually pick up camo tape, on clearance, just after hunting season. I have not had any complaints regarding wet or soaked caches, but then again it hasn't rained here in several years.

Just kidding, my caches have survived some two inch monsoon downpours as well as snow. (yes we get snow in Arizona)

Carefully wrap the tape around the edge of the lid so you still get a tight seal.

Happy Caching!

Zymurdoo