CacheMagnet Geocaching Software

I've written some PC desktop geocaching software called CacheMagnet that I'd like to share with everyone. I've been waiting to get the kinks out to announce it, and now that I've published the 12th version and had over 2000 public downloads, I've decided it's ready :anitongue:.

CacheMagnet lets you edit, map, and download GPX and LOC waypoint files. You can send waypoints to your GPSr and send cache descriptions to your IPod nano.

CacheMagnet's maps and reports can be printed to take with you in the field. The map supports zoom and pan, road map, satellite map and birds-eye.

CacheMagnet is free and open source. I wrote it and am sharing it as a way to give back to the geocaching community.

You can find more information at about CacheMagnet at

http://cachemagnet.googlepages.com/

I'm always trying to improve the software, so if you do try it out let please send me a message to let me know what you think.

- Brian

I havent even taken a look at it yet, much less downloaded it, but I want to thank you for coming up with another option, and especially for offering it free as open source.

Its nice to have more options and "tools" to play with and to help simplify and keep track of how we play this game.

Thanx!

Hey,

Looks like very cool software. I installed it and played around a while. However, I travel a lot and have a GSAK database of about 20,000 caches (and no hopes of finding them all). When I exported to a .gpx file and tried to import to CacheMagnet, it imported about 9,500 of them before choking out a memory error... and ran very slowly. I'm assuming you didn't intend it to handle a database that size. I will definitely keep an eye on this software! Thanks!

Hey,

Looks like very cool software. I installed it and played around a while. However, I travel a lot and have a GSAK database of about 20,000 caches (and no hopes of finding them all). When I exported to a .gpx file and tried to import to CacheMagnet, it imported about 9,500 of them before choking out a memory error... and ran very slowly. I'm assuming you didn't intend it to handle a database that size. I will definitely keep an eye on this software! Thanks!

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

You're right. I have been using CacheMagnet for playing with one or two pocket queries at a time, usually less than 500 waypoints. I guess a lot of people like to have all of their caches loaded at once, and use GSAK as a database. I'm pretty sure the Virtual Earth map can't handle that many waypoints at once, so if I do enable massive waypoint databases, I'll have to limit the number shown on the map at any one time.

I've created a bug for this on SourceForge.net

[ 1770554 ] Fails with large numbers of caches

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?f...amp;atid=812731

Edited by Cuckoo Cachers

I agree. I'm not big on the whole idea behind .NET.

I've had it negatively affect other software, findit a PIA, and its even worse when it comes time to uninstall it.

Its one of those monster programs, that once you install it, you will NEVER completely get rid of it without reinstalling Windows.

Holly Cow!! I've been testing it for a few days now and I love it.

The "Send to Ipod" is the GREATEST thing ever. I hate printing the info or writing it down. Adding the Ipod to my caching gear is now a must.

Not too sure what "Transform" does.

There's a few things I'd like to see but I'll post those over at sourceforge (after I have a look at the source :P ) next week.

I added transform to fix up the waypoint names. My Garmin Geko, and other units have six character waypoint names and don't show descriptions. Transform lops of the GC from the waypoint name, adds a single character for cache type, and a number for terrain. So if GCABCD is a traditional cache with terrain 2, the name becomes ABCDT2. This is especially useful now that the waypoint names are seven digits long, chopping the GC from the front allows you to have unique waypoint names on devices that only support 6 characters.

I added transform to fix up the waypoint names. My Garmin Geko, and other units have six character waypoint names and don't show descriptions. Transform lops of the GC from the waypoint name, adds a single character for cache type, and a number for terrain. So if GCABCD is a traditional cache with terrain 2, the name becomes ABCDT2. This is especially useful now that the waypoint names are seven digits long, chopping the GC from the front allows you to have unique waypoint names on devices that only support 6 characters.

Thank you for creating this free excellent program !

Very nice indeed. I had been trying to find a program that did this. Will be nice on caching trips with the laptop!! What I'd like to see is a PocketPC or Palm export feature!! I have one of each and think this would be awesome! Also is there a way to mark a cache as found or do you just delete it, I've noticed that my found caches show up as blue squares(the ones exported from GSAK)?

Great software. :)

I just used it to plan my next geocaching hunt.

I second the comments about the support for google maps (could it be possible to have a choice to chose from two or more online maps/aerial photos providers?) and the export to Pocket PC platform. :lol:

Another remark, if it isn't to ask too much :lol: an option to receive waypoints from the GPSr - when one goes outside, specially in backcountry, normaly aditional waypoints are collected and can be interesting to saved them for later analyze and historical/documentation purposes.

Anyway, nice job and many thanks from this side of the Atlantic. :lol:

SW Looks good, Question about reports, when I generate the report for a file that has a lot of caches in it, how is it sorted, the text of the caches does not seem to follow the index, it would be nice if they all matched or if they were in alphabetical order.

If I am doing something wrong sorry, but I want to print it out and put in a binder, but I am having a hard time looking them up.

Okay, I have been playing with this a bit, and I think it is great software.

I was looking for an easy (less than 3-step) process to replace the lost Mobipocket support in PQs.

This works great for anyone who has an Ipod!

Thanks to Cuckoo Cachers!

I'll be singing its praises in the local forums, too!

Dave_W6DPS

FANTASTIC Thanks Brian

I downloaded the software today and tried it out. It is just what I have been looking for, and very simple to use. I really like the option to print the reports in various detail, and the export to ipod (if I had one) is another cool feature.

Once again thank you for making this software free to geocachers.

Regards Tarot.

I would LOVE to see a Pocket PC version of this!!!!

I don't currently have a Pocket PC to work with so this might not happen.

If it was to run on Pocket PC, I think there'd be many differences in functionality. For example, the maps require a constant internet connection and I think you'd want the PocketPC to work disconnected. I think the program would end up looking a lot like GpxSonar which is already available for free.

Question about reports, when I generate the report for a file that has a lot of caches in it, how is it sorted, the text of the caches does not seem to follow the index, it would be nice if they all matched or if they were in alphabetical order.

If I am doing something wrong sorry, but I want to print it out and put in a binder, but I am having a hard time looking them up.

I struggled with a decent way to have everything sorted that made it relatively easy to find caches but didn't waste too much paper. What I ended up doing is sorting the index by waypoint name, and sorting the descriptions by cache name. That way, if I only have the waypoint name, like when I'm looking at my GPSr, I can use the index to find the cache name. Once I know the cache name, I can find it in the list of descriptions.

I'm getting an error when I try and send to my GPSr... (the Ipod function still works great) and I can still send to my GPSr from GSAK and from geocaching.com, but not Cachemagnet... any ideas?

Sending waypoints to garmin GPSr on port USB

[ERROR] CreateFile on '\\.\\USB' failed: The system cannot find the file specified.

GARMIN:Can't init USB

Done.

I'm getting an error when I try and send to my GPSr... (the Ipod function still works great) and I can still send to my GPSr from GSAK and from geocaching.com, but not Cachemagnet... any ideas?

Sending waypoints to garmin GPSr on port USB

[ERROR] CreateFile on '\\.\\USB' failed: The system cannot find the file specified.

GARMIN:Can't init USB

Done.

Yep, that was a bug. Download wasn't working for USB GPSrs. I've fixed the bug and the latest release is available for download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/cachemagnet.

Brian

I just found this software on the net and it's awesome!!!!

One question though. When I send the info to my ipod classic all the waypoints are showing up just by there GC numbers. Is there a setting to turn on before I down load to see the Names of the caches instead of just the GC numbers??

I downloaded this and it looks great!!! I'm so excited to send info to the IPOD and try paperless caching!

Have just one issue (can anyone help?) I sent info to the IPOD for one query. I try to send info from another query, and it erases the first set of info.... I tried making subfolders on the IPOD and sent each query info to the appropriate folder, but now they are all empty? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Kristen

(Tracy of Dick'N'Tracy)

Glad you like CacheMagnet :sad:

Is there a setting to turn on before I down load to see the Names of the caches instead of just the GC numbers??

You should have two menus on your IPod under CacheMagnet, "All by Name", and "All by Waypoint". If you drill down into "All by Name" you should see the caches listed by name. Let me know if this isn't what you see, maybe something else is going on.

Brian

Have just one issue (can anyone help?) I sent info to the IPOD for one query. I try to send info from another query, and it erases the first set of info.... I tried making subfolders on the IPOD and sent each query info to the appropriate folder, but now they are all empty? Any ideas?

Every time you send waypoints to your IPod it overwrites waypoints that are already there. The trick is to combine the two queries BEFORE you send them to your IPod. Load the first query into CacheMagnet, then import the second query with "Waypoint / Import...". You'll have the two queries loaded and you'll be able to send them together to your IPod.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Every time you send waypoints to your IPod it overwrites waypoints that are already there. The trick is to combine the two queries BEFORE you send them to your IPod. Load the first query into CacheMagnet, then import the second query with "Waypoint / Import...". You'll have the two queries loaded and you'll be able to send them together to your IPod.

Hope this helps.

Brian

That did it! Thanks for the help! Only problem now is that the IPOD notes area only holds 1000 files max..... I have the 30 GB maybe the 80 GB holds more?

Hope this helps.

Brian

When transferring to Garmin units, is there way to retain the default geocache icon (treasure chest)? I'm getting "toll road" and "3 flag" icons when transferring to my gpsr.

Sorry, I don' have a way to keep the treasure chest icons. CacheMagnet uses GpsBabel to send the waypoints and it changes the icons around, I think the icons are based on cache size.

Ok, one last question (I promise)......

Will your CacheMagnet work with the Magellan Crossover?

I noticed that all it asks for to transfer to a GPS is what port, and Garmin or Magellan....

Thanks!

Kristen

Ehr, uhm. I don't know. It is a Garmin, and has a USB port, so it should work but you'd have to try it to know for sure.

I've been using GSAK for several months. It's a FANTASTIC program & it's very powerful. But, it has required a bit of time to learn enough about it to get it to serve my purposes (upload waypoints and POI's [with Garmin POI CSV Export-another nice program] to GPSr & Ipod).

I found this post all of 10 minutes ago. I downloaded CacheMagnet & installed it (took about 3 minutes total), hooked up my GPSr & Ipod and sent 1,000 cache listing to each. I am STOKED! This is a GREAT program! It has taken a combination of 3 or 4 other programs (and learning curve for each) to get the data I need to the two devices that I use (and still didn't have logs). Cachemagnet ran effortlessly & flawlessly- I didn't need any instructions, just a simple "Waypoint>Import" & "Devices>Send" and *everything* is loaded on my devices, including LOGS!!!

Man, I'm doing the happy dance here, TYTYTY :anicute:

what am I doing wrong?

I have downloaded CM

I have generated a PQ

I have imported the PQ to CM, but it only has the barest details, Waypoint name, co-ords etc, no logs, no description.

is it that this info won't actually be visable until I stick it on the ipod? ETA - this does not happen either

also I can't send the waypoints to my ExtrexH, I use a serial port data cable with a usb adapter - on when I download from GC.com I just told it to look at the USB, but my device cannot be detected on this or any other port -

sorry to go on, but I really want to play!

Edited by The Booklady

what am I doing wrong?

I have downloaded CM

I have generated a PQ

I have imported the PQ to CM, but it only has the barest details, Waypoint name, co-ords etc, no logs, no description.

is it that this info won't actually be visable until I stick it on the ipod? ETA - this does not happen either

also I can't send the waypoints to my ExtrexH, I use a serial port data cable with a usb adapter - on when I download from GC.com I just told it to look at the USB, but my device cannot be detected on this or any other port -

You're correct, when you import to your .gpx into CM you should see

Waypoint / Difficulty / Terrain / Name / Owner / Type / LatLon / Distance / Direction / Compass

The cache page, logs and hints.. .wont show up till you send to your ipod.

I'm a little confused... .can you send coords to you GPSr through GC.com??? If not then, something else is wrong and this CM thread might not be the best one to fix that.

what am I doing wrong?

I have downloaded CM

I have generated a PQ

You're correct, when you import to your .gpx into CM you should see

Waypoint / Difficulty / Terrain / Name / Owner / Type / LatLon / Distance / Direction / Compass

The cache page, logs and hints.. .wont show up till you send to your ipod.

I'm a little confused... .can you send coords to you GPSr through GC.com??? If not then, something else is wrong and this CM thread might not be the best one to fix that.

sorry, yes, I read my post back and it is a bit vague!! I can send waypoints from gc.com to my garmin, but i can't do it from Cachemagnet.

I tried downloading what I had to the ipod, but still no extra details, just name GCXXXX, co-ords, placed by - no logs, description, terrain/diff

Cuckoo Cachers will probably be jumping in here soon (he's good at that) and answering your questions...

Silly question but you're connected to the internet when you use CM, right?

Just out of curiosity, in CM, when you click "Create Report" are the descriptions and hints there?

yay, I've sussed it and as expected it was my mistake, nothing to do with the software!!!

I had misunderstood how PQs worked (can you tell I'm new to this :D) when I ran the query it showed me a list on the website. what I hadn't done was choose a day to be emailed! As soon as I changed that I was emailed a zipped file which is what I was waiting for. Have now opened it up in CM and it shows everything I wanted.

I have now just got to find it I can transfer the points to my GPSr!

By the way, thanks to Cachemagnet for the youtube video!! Several us on another board involved with cardmaking and scrapbooking are learning to geocache and the film has been shared by us all and the software is proving very popular.

Thanks again and hopefully that's all you'll hear from me :D:D

Cuckoo Cachers will probably be jumping in here soon (he's good at that) and answering your questions...

Looks like you guys handled everything for me so I didn't have to jump in :D. Glad The Booklady got everything working and hope you have a great time out there geocaching.

well not quite everything :D I still don't seem to be able to transfer the details to my gps. I can do it through easyGPS, but not CM.

I am using a serial port cable attached to a usb adapter, so it is connected to the USB