Map and Compass

coggins

A quote from The MRA's (Mountain Rescue Association) Mountain Rescue Training Program Backcountry Safety

says the following on page 8:

Map and Compass

"Did I Bring The WHAT???"

All experienced backcountry users know how to use a map and compass, right? Wrong! Some

do. Most don't. In fact, the number of search subjects found without either is startling. The

invention of the Global Positioning System (GPS) has actually made matters worse in that some

backcountry users think a GPS unit replaces the need for a map and/or compass.

Map and compass work is important for reasons beyond safety. Experienced topographic map-

readers can determine the most picturesque backcountry campsite while sitting at their kitchen

table, simply by studying the topography around their proposed sites. Furthermore, accurate map

and compass work can reduce the amount of time spent looking for campsites or parking lots.

Students of this program should follow up with a local "Map and Compass" course. These are

generally available through local backcountry retailers or from your local Mountain Rescue

Association search and rescue team.

Here is a Compass Reading Test that might be worth the few minutes to take.

Please post your 'Map and Compass' tips here.

Edited by coggins

I hate to be a party pooper but that test was so one dimensional. It should come with a disclaimer. All you had to do was read bearings. Big whoop!

Even if the "one dimensional test" didn't meet with your high standards, the orginal link posted by the OP (Backcountry Safety) was informative, and helpful.

Well if anyone thinks that they know how to use a map and compass because they pointed a thingy at another thingy on their computer then maybe they should raise their standards. But go ahead and print out your diploma and frame it and hang it on your wall.

I hate to be a party pooper but that test was so one dimensional. It should come with a disclaimer. All you had to do was read bearings. Big whoop!

Even if the "one dimensional test" didn't meet with your high standards, the orginal link posted by the OP (Backcountry Safety) was informative, and helpful.

Well if anyone thinks that they know how to use a map and compass because they pointed a thingy at another thingy on their computer then maybe they should raise their standards. But go ahead and print out your diploma and frame it and hang it on your wall.

Now there is a revelation! One computer test does not an outdoorsman make.

I got the A+ also. Simple test though. There should have been some map north orientation, declination and scale/distance questions.

tec_64

Agreed!! Pointing the arrow and reading the number is good, but it doesn't serve a purpose in the field unless you can orient the map to the terrain, adjust for the declination, and then know how to read scale to compute travel time/distance. It's rather like needing a hospital, seeing three on your map, but not being able to decide which is closest.

Still, a fun little test to play with. And the OP's link offers some very good info on backcountry safety. Thanks.

so now I have to call my mom and tell the certificate was bogus? I guess I better cancel the bush plane and the trip I had planned on taking with nothing but a penknife an out of date map and a cereal box compass, dang it all!

I like my low standards, easier to achieve that way! :unsure:

so now I have to call my mom and tell the certificate was bogus? I guess I better cancel the bush plane and the trip I had planned on taking with nothing but a penknife an out of date map and a cereal box compass, dang it all!

I like my low standards, easier to achieve that way! :unsure:

LOL, no don't bother. The test was geared to beginner grade school students. Yes it was a test of bearing readings. Best that beginners start at the beginning, right? For adults, the link was more of a SA exercise. The page also contained links to other tests including a Grid Reference test and a Map Reading where the goal is to plot out the shortest and safest route from the local car park to Ben Nevis, which is located at NN1665071250, something that should be no problem for any of you M&C pros out there. So no tips from the pros? :(

As an active volunteer with the USFS in the backcountry of CO its a mind blower how many people I meet on the trails that don't have a map let alone a compass. They are FTT Hikers:: Follow The Trail and many of those trails are not where the map shows them to be. One of the first principles of LNT (Leave No Trace) is very important, plan ahead and prepare. Its so useful to read the maps before you go and make a mental note as to what is out there.

So along the lines of this discussion, what compasses do you all carry?

My wife bought me a Brunton Eclipse 8099 for Christmas a couple years back. I absolutely LOVE it. I also used a Silva Ranger (the Johnson Outdoors Silva...not Silva of Sweden, which is a better manufacturer) when I worked for the USFS, which was also a nice compass, but with fewer bells than my Brunton. I've also used many very basic beginners' compasses without a sighting mirror. The mirror is an enormously helpful feature that helps improve your accuracy in the field. The beginners models without a mirror are fine for practicing or learning in the backyard or for backup/emergency use.

For maps, I oftentimes print them from National Geographic Topo! which is an excellent software package. When actually navigating, I find it much easier to use a map & compass than a GPS. One technique I find extremely helpful is once I adjust my compass for declination, to then draw new lines across the map illustrating the declination. It makes life much easier when you're deep in the field to already have declination lines drawn across the map than trying to draw them the first time you need them...on a rock, log, or on the ground.

Edited by mtbikernate

No maps here, but 2 compasses, a Silva one and another small silva basic compass that stays on Mr Mousekakat's watchband. It's not advanced at all, but it usually does all we need. If for some reason it isn't enough, we break out the one with the mirror and other bells and whistles, but have found the little watchband one adequate for most minor things :)

It also doesn't seem to be disturbed by the GPS'r as much as the big one is. We have to be careful to keep a little distance between the two, maybe 6 inches or so, or the compass goes a little whacky on us :)

My wife bought me a Brunton Eclipse 8099 for Christmas a couple years back. I absolutely LOVE it. I also used a Silva Ranger (the Johnson Outdoors Silva...not Silva of Sweden, which is a better manufacturer) when I worked for the USFS, which was also a nice compass, but with fewer bells than my Brunton. I've also used many very basic beginners' compasses without a sighting mirror. The mirror is an enormously helpful feature that helps improve your accuracy in the field. The beginners models without a mirror are fine for practicing or learning in the backyard or for backup/emergency use.

For maps, I oftentimes print them from National Geographic Topo! which is an excellent software package. When actually navigating, I find it much easier to use a map & compass than a GPS. One technique I find extremely helpful is once I adjust my compass for declination, to then draw new lines across the map illustrating the declination. It makes life much easier when you're deep in the field to already have declination lines drawn across the map than trying to draw them the first time you need them...on a rock, log, or on the ground.

Surely the point of adjusting your compass for declination is so that you don't need to adjust the map....

Welcome aboard, excellent post. I use the Suunto MC-2 series balanced for worldwide use. Models with sighting mirrors can also be used as a signal mirror, if needed. The marking of magnetic declination on the map can help to alert you to magnetic deviations caused by local sources such as the tailings from mines, in ground iron deposits (how did Iron Mountain get it's name anyway?) and possibly UFOs (Just kidding about the UFO's). It's a great reminder as to the way things should be. It's a good to test the noted deviation and map against the terrain as deviation changes constantly due to polar drift.

northpoledrift.gif

declination.gif

Edited by coggins

I have a Brunton Pocket Transit, standard. A bit of overkill for hiking, but since I no longer work as a geologist, it's nice to pull it out and actually use it on occaision.

Regarding the movement of magnetic north - the earth is like a giant electromagnet, as the electromagnetic field moves, so magnetic north also moves. In fact, within the geologic record, there is evidence that the poles have actually reversed repeatedly. I don't have a lot of depth of knowledge on this, since my geology specialty was hydrogeology (groundwater), but maybe there is a geophysicist on the boards who would like to chime in...

Regarding the movement of magnetic north - the earth is like a giant electromagnet, as the electromagnetic field moves, so magnetic north also moves. In fact, within the geologic record, there is evidence that the poles have actually reversed repeatedly. I don't have a lot of depth of knowledge on this, since my geology specialty was hydrogeology (groundwater), but maybe there is a geophysicist on the boards who would like to chime in...

I remember reading an entire book talking about Atlantis being on Antarctica that talked about poles reversing and plates shifting and bla bla bla. That's the most I've ever heard.

I really want to know! And why is the earth like a giant electromagnet?

(This is what I get for majoring in poli sci and French. Who wants to hear about the subjunctive?)

I have a Brunton Pocket Transit, standard. A bit of overkill for hiking, but since I no longer work as a geologist, it's nice to pull it out and actually use it on occaision.

That's a very nice instrument. I especially like the bubble level on the face.

More detailed info on on pole reversal (etc) can be found here.

I remember reading an entire book talking about Atlantis being on Antarctica that talked about poles reversing and plates shifting and bla bla bla. That's the most I've ever heard.

I really want to know! And why is the earth like a giant electromagnet?

(This is what I get for majoring in poli sci and French. Who wants to hear about the subjunctive?)

The earth is like a giant electromagnet because it has an iron core that rotates rapidly and not in exactly the same plane as the planet as a whole. That's why the poles move. I can't say I've heard why the poles occasionally reverse, but the planet's magnetic field as a whole appears to weaken dramatically prior to a pole reversal, and there appear to be many local magnetic poles that change rapidly before the reversal really takes hold.

At any rate, adjusting for declination on your compass does NOT mean you still don't have to orient your map. There are different 'north' readings concerning navigation. There is magnetic north (that's what the north arrow of your compass always points to), true north (aligns with the earth's rotational axis), and grid north. Grid north and true north may not necessarily be the same thing, but they might be. It depends on the map projection and the reference grids used on the map. The map legend will tell you if they are different or not.

When you orient your map, you line up the grid lines to magnetic north with the compass. If you do not adjust your compass for declination, you are essentially making the assumption that grid north and magnetic north are the same. In some places, they are. In most places, they are very different, and making that assumption can get you lost pretty fast! When you adjust your compass for declination, that is essentially going to be your conversion from grid north to true north. That way, when you make a measurement on your map, you can directly translate it into a setting on your compass.

Now, for most uses, if you forget to adjust for declination, you won't end up in too much trouble. The problem is, the farther you walk while trying to follow an unadjusted bearing, the farther off course you get. After an hour of walking on an unadjusted course, you might be a few feet off of your intended destination. After a day, however, and you could be MILES from your intended destination...say, on the other side of the mountain or river and nowhere near the road you thought you'd be near.

Probably best to stick to the topic.

A quote from The MRA's (Mountain Rescue Association) Mountain Rescue Training Program Backcountry Safety

says the following on page 8:

Map and Compass

"Did I Bring The WHAT???"

All experienced backcountry users know how to use a map and compass, right? Wrong! Some

do. Most don't. In fact, the number of search subjects found without either is startling. The

invention of the Global Positioning System (GPS) has actually made matters worse in that some

backcountry users think a GPS unit replaces the need for a map and/or compass.

Map and compass work is important for reasons beyond safety. Experienced topographic map-

readers can determine the most picturesque backcountry campsite while sitting at their kitchen

table, simply by studying the topography around their proposed sites. Furthermore, accurate map

and compass work can reduce the amount of time spent looking for campsites or parking lots.

Students of this program should follow up with a local "Map and Compass" course. These are

generally available through local backcountry retailers or from your local Mountain Rescue

Association search and rescue team.

Here is a Compass Reading Test that might be worth the few minutes to take.

Please post your 'Map and Compass' tips here.

I've asked this question in other (appropriate) threads but I'll ask here as well. What are some good sources for a beginner to learn about navigation using a map and compass?

Thanks.

Check out your local Search and Rescue organizations in your area. Most organizations provide basic training for a minimal charge. Of course the intent is to follow through and volunteer.

The other place is the Boy scouts. The Explorers cover adults but if you have a kid you might just have to sit in with him for navigation classes.

Edited by MarcusArelius

I've asked this question in other (appropriate) threads but I'll ask here as well. What are some good sources for a beginner to learn about navigation using a map and compass?

Thanks.

Would you believe.............. the Boy Scout Handbook. The basics delivered in a clear, concise manner. I do prefer the older editions, the newer ones seem to be dumbed down a bit, you know, like our public schools.

Thanks.

http://www.trailsillustrated.com/skills/glossary.cfm

http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/mapcompass.shtml

http://topomaps.usgs.gov/

And the following link is my favorite for Land Navigation:

http://members.impulse.net/~mlynch/trg_nav.html

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

...Well if anyone thinks that they know how to use a map and compass because they pointed a thingy at another thingy on their computer then maybe they should raise their standards. But go ahead and print out your diploma and frame it and hang it on your wall.

That's what a compass does. Points a thingie at another thingie.

People can make it much more complex from there. But it's really is simple as long as you can frame it in the way you understant it. That's not always going to be how some of the more advanced sites claim.

having hiked and backpacked for many years both on and off trail I consider myself fairly proficient with map and compass.

Only once have I been temporarily lost. Where I come from the joke always was, 'if you're lost, walk South and sooner or later you'll come to the Great Lakes. But that brings up the one thing nothing can prepare you for. That is when you lose faith in your compass. That's how I became temporarily lost.

It's hard to explain to someone who is not used to travelling across country through the woods with just a map and compass, but sometimes even the most experienced hiker can come to believe their compass is wrong. It's telling you that South (example) is to your left but you are convinced South is straight ahead. People have been convinced their compass was wrong and got themselves lost this way. Particulary when hiking alone.

Fortunately there is a solution. Always carry 3 compasses. They don't all have to be super deluxe models, they just have to point to North. If you start to think your compass is wrong, get out the other 2 cheapies. If all 3 say South is to your left it's pretty hard to ignore them! If you only had 2 and they both point in different directions, you have no way of knowing which is right or wrong. If 2 point in 1 direction and the third in a different direction then it's pretty obvious that you would rely on the 2 pointing the same way.

I did have 3 when I believed I was lost and when I checked all 3 pointed in the same direction. I wasn't off course or lost at all but my brain didn't want to believe that until I gave it enough proof to overcome it's disbelief.

What caused me to believe I was off track was just a short stretch of heavy bush and a detour around a little bit of marsh. I thought I had gone half way around the marsh (180degrees) based on time but in reality I had only gone a quarter of the way around (90 degrees) because I was slowed down by the heavy groundcover. It messed up my internal computer so to speak.

Nowadays people may rely on a GPS and have limited experience with a compass which makes a method of re-assuring yourself even more important. If you begin to doubt your GPS in the same way, the 3 compasses will still do the trick for you.