Vista HCx 660m altitude accuracy test

Rhialto

Hi,

We don't see them often around here but in a 2 weeks trip I came across an Altitude panel along the road showing 660m. I was curious how accurate would be my new Vista HCx. It was right on! I took a picture.

Sorry about the size, that's the only way to be able to read the unit display. I should have told my girlfriend to hold the unit closer to the lens... maybe next time!

Vista_HCx_660m.jpg

Edited by Rhialto

Hi,

We don't see them often around here but in a 2 weeks trip I came across an Altitude panel along the road showing 660m. I was curious how accurate would be my new Vista HCx. It was right on! I took a picture.

Sorry about the size, that's the only way to be able to read the unit display. I should have told my girlfriend to hold the unit closer to the lens... maybe next time!

Do you use automatic calibration?

No, I never calibrated it, came from factory like this. But I had in mind to do it if it was off because there are 2 calibration method where one is when you know the altiture you are at. This would have been a great occasion to do it but no need, it was right on.

No, I never calibrated it, came from factory like this. But I had in mind to do it if it was off because there are 2 calibration method where one is when you know the altiture you are at. This would have been a great occasion to do it but no need, it was right on.

Then the answer is, yes, you are using automatic calibration. That's the factory default.

The elevation measurement is taken to be ground level. For your GPS to match, as it appears to be held at about 2 meters off of the ground, it should read 662 meters, no? Otherwise it's 2 meters off.

The elevation measurement is taken to be ground level. For your GPS to match, as it appears to be held at about 2 meters off of the ground, it should read 662 meters, no? Otherwise it's 2 meters off.

LOL! well, maybe maybe not.. I will have to ask those who installed it back in the days.

Whatever I would not complain for a 2 meters accuracy.. even more that I don't use the feature, it was just a curiosity test.