objects people leave

Mishka4406

On the foreign coin note, I was thinking of doing a cache that would be a "foreign exchange cash" which would feature lots of small valued coins from around the world for people to exchange.

One of the problems I can see with this cache type would be a greedy cacher or a muggle coming along and stealing the fun - anyone ever heard of this idea before?

Hope I didn't hijack this thread.....

On the foreign coin note, I was thinking of doing a cache that would be a "foreign exchange cash" which would feature lots of small valued coins from around the world for people to exchange.

On the issue of foreign cash in a cache, one issue is future cachers having no clue what it's worth, in terms of trading up/even. We visited one micro that had a foreign banknote (paper money) in it, but we had no clue what it was worth, so didn't feel that we could trade for it.

Well if the cache/cash was taken, the perps would have to spend lots of money getting to the places that the money came from to cash it in. So you would have that karma to get you thru. :blink:

I think it a good idea. You would just have to trust your fellow geocachers.

One of the problems I can see with this cache type would be a greedy cacher or a muggle coming along and stealing the fun - anyone ever heard of this idea before?

I have 3 such caches - all have been around for quite a while and work out ok.

I80 Commerce Coin Cache

Balance Your Checkbook

Too Early for Winter

And on Topic:

I leave a small golf pencil and sharpener:13c58c5e-ac06-4cc3-b9b1-9a8632241a97.jpg

After thinking about the idea of not knowing what is fair value trade, I think the idea is that it is fun to see different coins from other countries and less about the actual value of the coin itself.

I could however put a currency exchange rate table (approximate of course) to avoid any confusion (or even add to it) and have some sort of outline if they would feel compelled to trade equal value.

Thanks for the input!

Back on topic: Most of the time I put what ever I can find in the car that someone might enjoy finding - no matter what the age - therefore the item is leave changes constantly.

Here's one that I did. It is actually in a cooler type container in someone's driveway. As far as I know it has had no problems with muggles. I don't imagine a money cache would be any more likely to be muggled than any other.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...46-baae63bcff0c

After thinking about the idea of not knowing what is fair value trade, I think the idea is that it is fun to see different coins from other countries and less about the actual value of the coin itself.

I could however put a currency exchange rate table (approximate of course) to avoid any confusion (or even add to it) and have some sort of outline if they would feel compelled to trade equal value.

Thanks for the input!

Back on topic: Most of the time I put what ever I can find in the car that someone might enjoy finding - no matter what the age - therefore the item is leave changes constantly.

As far as the "value" goes, most any bills/coins that someone leaves in a cache won't have any real value here in the US. I don't think it particularly matters if the foreign coin you leave is worth 25 cents when you took a coin worth $1. We are likely talking small amounts of money on any of the items, and pretty much none of them could actually be used by the people involved to purchase anything (barring international travel). A foreign coin/bill should be considered the same as any other foreign coin/bill in these sorts of exchanges in my opinion.

I often drop some Mexican coins in caches around here. They are the 10 and 20 centavo coins (worth less than 1 cent and 2 cents each). People seem to love them even though they are so worthless that many stores in Mexico don't even bother with them (they round to the nearest 50 centavo or 5 cent value). In the case of foreign currency, it seems to be the unusual factor that gives them value to cachers, not the exchange rate value.