Foraging caches

Cornwall Mark

I have seen things mentioned in cache descriptions and often in logs. Though you better be sure of what you are picking as i'd not rely on someone else's comments in a log! LOL

Quite honestly you should be able to get a pretty good supply from the average woodland, especially after the summer we've just had in the UK. (or rather not had) and most hedgerows will offer a supply of sloes and hazelnuts.

I'm always nibbling on stuff here in So. Cal. when I'm caching like the prickly pears,wild fennel,mustard flowers,wild parsnips,mescal flowers the occasional black berries and nasturtiums. Unfortunately I would be afraid to place a cache where these plants grow encouraging anyone to forage simply because those tasty plants typically grow right next to nasty ones like castor beans,jimsonweed,hemlock,oleander etc. I wouldn't want someone to get confused eat the wrong plant.

As long as you carefully spell it out and supply some pictures you should be safe. Cachers seem to be a smarter breed of bi-peds than the rest but I'm still leery of putting out those type of caches even though I was thinking about doing one awhile back.

Happy Hunting!

Here in PA, blueberries and blackberries abound in many woodlots, so you'd be hard pressed to find a cache in a wooded area that's not near any wild foods. I even know of a cache placed in an area that had an apple orchard decades ago, and where there are some remnant trees.

If it was me, I'd mention that there are edible plants in the vicinity, but I would not attempt describing said plants. You're setting yourself up for trouble that way. Mention they're in the area, and let folks learn for themselves what to look for (and when to look for them).