Disk stamping not as described

ArtMan

Here's a poser for you.

Last week in Kingwood, WV, I had occasion to visit station 1862 (JW0822), a USGS disk that is stamped "1862 ADJ 1903 1905."

However, the datasheet says the stamping should be "1862 ADJ 1920."

Although the station description is somewhat imprecise (e.g., no measurements), it seems pretty clear that this is the location being described. I did not observe any other disks on the building's water table east of the door. Also, both stamping descriptions give 1862 as the first element, which is also the designation of the station, and is the elevation of the position in feet.

I logged this as a note, but I would like to give a more definitive report to NGS. (The last NGS report was a USPSQD find in 1995, 60 years after an NGS report.)

The datasheet gives 1920 as the monumentation date.

Maybe this is one case where I should request the original report from USGS.

Thoughts, anyone?

-ArtMan-

Hi, Artman,

Based upon the other "irregular" finds in West Virginia, I recommend you politely decline servings of the "special brew" the locals offer to visitors. Look what happened to the surveyors who came before you. How do you think the courthouse cupula in Franklin moved a mile! :)

-Paul-