I love my new Garmin Venture HC

WVRadar

Tried my new GPSr out today, and I am impressed. Searched for a cache today where my previous GPSr (etrex base model) was useless. The area is in a deep gorge with heavy tree cover. My previous GPSr lost the signal with .21 miles to go and never regained it. The Venture locked on and never faltered, leading me directly to the cache. It even held the signal when I wore it around my neck on a lanyard, face down. This would never work with the old one.

The base map looks pretty limited, and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive models, but if you're looking for a GPSr that will work in difficult conditions, this is the one for you.

Yep, the Venture is the model I recommend as the beginners model because it has the click stick and the model without the click stick is a massive pain in the butt to use. This is the best non mapping eTrex.

All the new H models have will be as good as each other regards the new sesitivity.

Yup, love my Venture HC too. Up in Big Bear Lake, CA Saturday several times it brought me within a few feet of geocaches, even with trees overhead.

FYI, I was able to load my old Garmin "Roads and Recreations" maps onto the HC for high detail street info for southern California using the USB cable that came with the Venture. The maps display in color and with even more detail (such as parks) than I saw with my old monochrome Vista that got stolen years ago.

Yep, the Venture is the model I recommend as the beginners model because it has the click stick and the model without the click stick is a massive pain in the butt to use. This is the best non mapping eTrex.

All the new H models have will be as good as each other regards the new sesitivity.

What is a " click stick"?

thanks

It's a personal pet peeve of mine that the models without a 'click stick' (or 'rocker' as Garmin now call it), have a manual waypoint input method that makes it virtually useless. This is the Yellow eTrex and Camo and Summit (monochrome).

While I acknowledge that waypoints can be uploaded via a computer, I think that the first thing anyone realises when they have a new gps is that it's really useful while in the field to mark waypoints, there are so many reasons for doing this, it is absolutely fundamental to mark waypoints in the field. The models without the pick stick have low resolution screen which only allows 6 spaces to name 500 waypoints!

But much worse than only having 6 spaces is the actual method of inputting, one letter at a time by scrolling down an alpha/numeric list using the up/down buttons on the side. It's enough to drive anyone around the twist. Just entering a simple name like "DOCK" requires 90 button presses! And the side buttons, covered as they are with rubber, are not easy to press or hold down.

When I called the Venture a non mapping, I erroneously was referring to the monochrome Venture, which I recommend as the real 'basic' eTrex rather than the yellow one. In fact I think Garmin should discontinue the Yellow basic eTrex altogether and replace it with the Venture as the base model. The current monochrome Summit should also be discontinued and the monochrome Venture should have the compass and altimeter and become the new monochrome Summit. Basically I'm saying do away with the non pick stick units completely.

</rant>