Nuvi Series Auto Navigation Portables...

Alan2

Playing around with GSAK and came up with the following screen. The caches show as treasure chests. However, I rather use a 10-character "smart code" that I also use for waypoint ID's in my regular GPS as it's easier to identify than the standard GCxxxxx. In addition, the next character T for traditional (M for multi etc), than miles from home coordinates, D/T and container type M=micro S=small

For example, in the picture below: FOLLOWMEH1 7.69 T 2/1 M = FOLLOWMEH1 is the 10-digit smart code for the cache whose name is Follow Me Home 1; It's 7.69 miles from my home coordinates, T=Traditional cache D/T=2/1 and it's a M=Micro.

The one with the box around it because I selected it with the arrow is CENTRALPAR=smart name; 7.3 miles from home; cache type Y=unknown; D/T 3/2 and S=small container. If a treasure chest doesn't display the data, you may have to zoom in or just select it with your thumb and get the arrow with box.

Insert %smart=10 %dist %typ1 %Dif/%Ter %con1 in the GSAK section for Waypoint Name when you go to create a GPX file. I use 36 for the max characters but Nuvi limits the line to 25 characters.

You can select different kinds of data. Check the Help for the GPX screen for Smart Codes.

Next stop is figure out how to save the Favorites of waypoints created in Nuvi. When I tried to load them into GSAK, it wouldn't work. COordinates seem to be missing according to GSAK. Has anyone found a work-around?

4247184e-7f65-4be8-85dd-de91d3fefab7.jpg

Here's what the point looks like when selected in My Favorites. I added %hint in the GSAK Cache Description Format when creating Mapsource output then loaded the waypoints from Mapsource into Nuvi. Problem is that the hint will be missing words if it is too long.

2364238e-1f9e-4be2-b53a-7748a0378b7b.jpg

Edited by Alan2

How do you check a route at home where the start and end is different than you currrent position. For example, if I search for Joe's address, I click on Show Map. The map has an arrow to Joe's house, but how do you make this place the Start of a route for pre-checking? When you click Back the map showing your current position shows.