Have you had a reviewer pick on you

trkr75

I have had several probalems with a local reviewer, he is nit picking on several caches, no problems with the cache, alot of people still finding and not complaining. He just complains and threatons to archive my cache since the log was damp, or there was a lot of ants nearby, what is up with this it seems like he is just picking on me. I don't think I did anything to tick him off. He tried to not approve one of my SCUBA caches but I got it over ruled (I think that may have ticked him off, the other reviewers told him off. YEAH!!! LOL) Is there any thing we as geo-cachers can do to report this to other higher up reviewers?

TRKR75

From a recent post.

If you feel that you are not getting the level of service you should be from the reviewers or forum moderators simply e-mail; reviewers@geocaching.com with your concerns.

This e-mail address is only for reporting concerns regarding Cache reviewers and Forum Moderators.

Happy Geocaching

I have had several probalems with a local reviewer, he is nit picking on several caches, no problems with the cache, alot of people still finding and not complaining. He just complains and threatons to archive my cache since the log was damp, or there was a lot of ants nearby, what is up with this it seems like he is just picking on me. I don't think I did anything to tick him off. He tried to not approve one of my SCUBA caches but I got it over ruled (I think that may have ticked him off, the other reviewers told him off. YEAH!!! LOL) Is there any thing we as geo-cachers can do to report this to other higher up reviewers?

TRKR75

Can you post a link to the caches you are talking about?

TRKR75

Why not just do what he is asking? You are supposed to maintain your caches. Others are probably complaining to him. I have never met any reviewer that wasn't a nice and decent person. That's how they get picked. :huh:

Sure we are getting the whole story???

ALL of the reviewers are just volunteers trying to follow the guidelines. They do a really decent job most all of the time from my observations. For example, It is one thing to have a damp log for a week or two. Quite another when cachers over a period of a year or more mention the same thing - with no maintenance listed. Not sure about yours but you must agree there is a clear difference......be nice to have a bit more detail.

TRKR75

How is it that you know that the other reviewers "told him off"?

I'm the reviewer for Northwestern Ohio, where you've also hidden a cache. Thanks for calling attention to your caches. Could I please ask you to move your Ohio cache out of the poison ivy the next time you pass through the area? The logs have complained about this for months, in terms far stronger than I'm accustomed to reading. I am sure your fellow geocachers will be most appreciative.

Yes you should check it and replace it if it is damaged and leaking, but if this is the cache, I gotta say our local reviewer(s) are not so heavy handed. Your first "30 day" warning on the original container came after 18 days. Then with the current box there are two reports of dampness over the summer followed by another on Sept 7 and then he disables it 18 days later. During the entire time lots of other finders are leaving positive statements in the log with no mention of a wet cache. There is no indication that the dampness is a chronic problem. I'd check it, fix anything that needs fixing and report it to the reviewer. He may not be as snotty as his letter indicates.

This one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Why not just reply with a note saying when you are going out to take care of it???

It does appear that you've ruffled some feathers there. From the information you've provided, I don't see anything that would be cause to discipline or remove your reviewer. So, he is going to be you reviewer after you report him. Are you sure you want to fight this battle?

If you are doing everything by the book such as responding to maintenance requests, getting out and doing the maintenance, and placing caches that follow the guidelines I would be willing to bet your problems with your reviewer will disappear.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

...which has a month old log saying "Container is taking on water. Pen has gone missing. May need to be moved due to ant infestation." But there's also:

This one, which was confirmed missing July 28, no response 'til 2 weeks later.

Or these ..two, which have unanswered 3 week old "Needs Maintenance" Logs.

This cache has apparently been missing since May, no response from owner, but people are logging findind magnets as a find.

Another cache, this one listed in Kentucky, but it's been pointed out (3 weeks ago) that it is in Tennessee. No response.

One archived by the reviewer after being disabled since June.

This short lived cache lasted 2 months, but it "had a good run"?

I find it interesting that your scuba cache is going away after only one month.

Each of these on their own wouldn't be a big deal, but maybe I'm seeing the same pattern the reviewer is, and they've actually got to deal with the complaints they hear from other cachers.

Edited by Too Tall John

He may not be as snotty as his letter indicates.

I thought the reviewer was very polite, not snotty at all.

I think reviewers should respond to those Needs Maintenance logs, that is what we want them to do, respond to our concerns.

I looked at that link and saw a cache that had a Needs Maintenance placed on it six weeks ago, it is still sitting there with a Needs Maintenance log. The reviewers don't place the NM on the cache, others cachers place it and owners need to respond, that has not happened.

The reviewer is polite and has been patient, your interpretation of the letter as snotty is not one that I agree with at all. It looks like a form letter sent to an owner who won't respond to concerns expressed by another member of the community.

Are we looking at the same link?

He may not be as snotty as his letter indicates.

I thought the reviewer was very polite, not snotty at all.

I think reviewers should respond to those Needs Maintenance logs, that is what we want them to do, respond to our concerns.

I looked at that link and saw a cache that had a Needs Maintenance placed on it six weeks ago, it is still sitting there with a Needs Maintenance log. The reviewers don't place the NM on the cache, others cachers place it and owners need to respond, that has not happened.

The reviewer is polite and has been patient, your interpretation of the letter as snotty is not one that I agree with at all. It looks like a form letter sent to an owner who won't respond to concerns expressed by another member of the community.

Are we looking at the same link?

90 people have found the cache.. three have complained. Maybe the hider is guilty but I don't see enough evidence to convict him.

My usual reviewer has stepped on my toes more than a few times and I'm sure I've stepped on his. I've dusted it up good with a couple others as well.

I don't take it personally and I don't feel picked on.

I know many reviewers and EX-reviewers personally and I have met dozens more. I'm sure I've met a reviewer or two who didn't disclose that fact to me and I can understand why.....

Being a reviewer is a mostly thankless job and the odd kudos thread you see here and there or a Groundspeak perk or two doesn't come close to making up for the horror stories I've heard around the campfire a time or two.

I don't think I'd wanna do that job if it paid money and I have a great deal of respect for the ones that do it for free even if we don't always see eye to eye and I don't get my way.

...which has a month old log saying "Container is taking on water. Pen has gone missing. May need to be moved due to ant infestation." But there's also:

This one, which was confirmed missing July 28, no response 'til 2 weeks later.

Or these ..two, which have unanswered 3 week old "Needs Maintenance" Logs.

This cache has apparently been missing since May, no response from owner, but people are logging findind magnets as a find.

Another cache, this one listed in Kentucky, but it's been pointed out (3 weeks ago) that it is in Tennessee. No response.

One archived by the reviewer after being disabled since June.

This short lived cache lasted 2 months, but it "had a good run"?

I find it interesting that your scuba cache is going away after only one month.

Each of these on their own wouldn't be a big deal, but maybe I'm seeing the same pattern the reviewer is, and they've actually got to deal with the complaints they hear from other cachers.

I'll use these as examples in a thread called "Have you had a cacher pick on you".

:huh:

Edited by Quiggle

As we are seeing, an examination of the particulars of the caches and situations about which you are complaining indicates strongly that you are not maintaining your caches well and are becoming resentful when reviewers remind you to do so. Despite the fact that I specialize in placing extreme and downright-psychotic caches in the Psycho Urban Cache series and the Psycho Backcountry Cache series, and have placed such extreme caches in four states (MD, WV, ID, WY) across the US and have had to deal with five different reviewers in order to do so, and despite the fact that in a number of cases the cache hides were so extreme and so dangerous (and/or mind-boggling) that the primary reviewer needed to consult with other reviewers for clarifications, I have never had a single problem with a reviewer when hiding/publishing any of those Psycho Urban caches or Psycho Backcountry caches, nor regarding their subsequent maintenance (and many have been in place for over two years.) Allow me to repeat: not a single problem... not the tiniest one.

I suspect that you are creating your own dramas and your own problems. Of course, it is only human nature to have a tendency to do so, as the entire mass of recorded human history can witness! However, my point to you is this: since you have created your own drama, you can also uncreate it if you wish, and in an instant, by simply letting go of fighting, letting go of resisting the excellent guidance which your local reviewers are trying to give you, and by being grateful for their support and guidance (and for all their freely-given work) rather than reveling in spitefulness because they are simply doing their jobs. Or, you can choose to continue to wallow in your hatred, spitefulness and bitterness, and continue to tilt at windmills... the choice is yours.

I have had several probalems with a local reviewer, he is nit picking on several caches, no problems with the cache, alot of people still finding and not complaining.

If the cache is already identified as needing maintenance it would be redundant for every new finder to report it as needing maintenance.

He just complains and threatons to archive my cache since the log was damp, or there was a lot of ants nearby, what is up with this it seems like he is just picking on me.

It sounds like it needs maintenance and and that you are making more work for him to check on the cache and read all the logs to prod you to make a maintenance trip. They post those maintenance notes on everyone's cache that needs maintenance because they are supposed to do that to make you perform maintenance on the cache.

Just hide an ammo box or a lock'n'lock - they rarely need maintenance.

My usual reviewer has stepped on my toes more than a few times and I'm sure I've stepped on his. I've dusted it up good with a couple others as well.

I don't take it personally and I don't feel picked on.

I know many reviewers and EX-reviewers personally and I have met dozens more. I'm sure I've met a reviewer or two who didn't disclose that fact to me and I can understand why.....

Being a reviewer is a mostly thankless job and the odd kudos thread you see here and there or a Groundspeak perk or two doesn't come close to making up for the horror stories I've heard around the campfire a time or two.

I don't think I'd wanna do that job if it paid money and I have a great deal of respect for the ones that do it for free even if we don't always see eye to eye and I don't get my way.

I've had my toes stepped on a couple of times by the same reviewer and was even, at least i felt i was, insulted by him a while back. I did think about reporting my concerns back then but thought about it and decided not to. Like you, i figure he catches quite a bit of grief from us cachers which has to sometimes take it's toll on the good mood that he would like to maintain. :D

On topic, from what i've read here, the OP does not seem to be maintaining his caches properly. If there are complaints and NM logs coming in, then the OP shouldn't be surprised that the reviewer is contacting or questioning him. Seems simple enough, maintain the caches you already have out and i'd bet money that the "picking" would stop! :D

As we are seeing, an examination of the particulars of the caches and situations about which you are complaining indicates strongly that you are not maintaining your caches well and are becoming resentful when reviewers remind you to do so. Despite the fact that I specialize in placing extreme and downright-psychotic caches in the Psycho Urban Cache series and the Psycho Backcountry Cache series, and have placed such extreme caches in four states (MD, WV, ID, WY) across the US and have had to deal with five different reviewers in order to do so, and despite the fact that in a number of cases the cache hides were so extreme and so dangerous (and/or mind-boggling) that the primary reviewer needed to consult with other reviewers for clarifications, I have never had a single problem with a reviewer when hiding/publishing any of those Psycho Urban caches or Psycho Backcountry caches, nor regarding their subsequent maintenance (and many have been in place for over two years.) Allow me to repeat: not a single problem... not the tiniest one.

I suspect that you are creating your own dramas and your own problems. Of course, it is only human nature to have a tendency to do so, as the entire mass of recorded human history can witness! However, my point to you is this: since you have created your own drama, you can also uncreate it if you wish, and in an instant, by simply letting go of fighting, letting go of resisting the excellent guidance which your local reviewers are trying to give you, and by being grateful for their support and guidance (and for all their freely-given work) rather than reveling in spitefulness because they are simply doing their jobs. Or, you can choose to continue to wallow in your hatred, spitefulness and bitterness, and continue to tilt at windmills... the choice is yours.

Bravo. I think I am going to give an extra long salute to my Geo-flag and go hug my reviewer now.

Yes!! Rusty, our MI reviewer is just intolerable! He actually wants us to place caches at least .10 miles from each other, make sure we have permission etc...AWEFUL! And let one of your caches grow into disrepair...OUCH! The man is just intolerable!

Wait....that's probably how Rusty sees ME! Always placing caches in nasty locations, trying to overload a certain area, never attending to my caches. OOOPS....maybe I have it all backwards...RUSTY, YOU ARE GREAT!!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some caches in need of maintenance!!

RUSTY...you truly are GREAT! Keep up the good work!

TRKR75

My reviewer is anal to everyone. The love is shared by all, not just one person. Odds are your reviewer is fairly consistant to all the people they review for as well.

There is an email you can report specific abuses too. Someone else may have already posted. In your case though, I suspect you would have the same problme with any reviewer you get. A lesson I learned along the way. If you keep bumping into the same problem with everone...the problem is you. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the tone of your post just screams that you have this problme with a lot of people.

I get picked on by my local reviewer every day :D

I know the feeling. :D

Whenever they think of it.... :D

[edit to add---]

To the OP, why not just go fix your caches? That way, your Reviewier will quit "picking" on you, and the local cachers will be much happier.

Edited by Shop99er

Lessee. I've dealt with four or five reviewers. All have been even handed, and helpful. Yeah, my local reviewer keeps nagging me for not filling in 'additional waypoints.' But I'm learning. Reviewer wants additional waypoints, reviewer gets additional waypoints! Would you believe that s/he wouldn't approve two of my caches until I filled in 'final coordinates'?!?

No I havent had a reviewer pick on me, that I know of. And yet, there are 2 caches that were published that are likely in a forbidden area. One of the caches flat out states its in an area that has a policy of forbidding geocaches. I am about to put out several of my own caches and Im a bit chicken of reporting these 2 caches out of concern my future postings will be scrutinized all the more.

The first GGA meeting I went to I was standing there talking to Mtn-man, Erik knelt down behind me and Mtn-man pushed me over him.

Now whenever I go to GGA meetings they mostly just point at me and laugh between themselves.

You should hear what we say when you miss the meetings. We have photos too. :huh:

No I havent had a reviewer pick on me, that I know of. And yet, there are 2 caches that were published that are likely in a forbidden area. One of the caches flat out states its in an area that has a policy of forbidding geocaches. I am about to put out several of my own caches and Im a bit chicken of reporting these 2 caches out of concern my future postings will be scrutinized all the more.

Sometimes we miss things, and if it was me I would appreciate knowing I missed it.

If I were a reviewer & knew that a cacher specifically didn't say something to me about a possible guideline infringement, I'd be more likely to scrutinize their future hides to make sure they weren't trying to hide some of their own infringements. :huh:
Yes, we had. So we archived him, as you can see by the photo.

9b1e223d-c8b0-4982-97c1-6fab30c7fa8a.jpg

That's garri, our reviewer.

:D

That looks more like the Wicked Witch of the East. :huh:
You know, until just now I never really thought about what the "Archive" icon was.

traffic_cone.gif

I'll admit my impression was more of a hat than a traffic cone. :huh:

0423a0dd-be28-44f0-a985-c8d3bd5e69e3.jpg

Now watch, as not just the reviewers pick on me... :D

Edited by Too Tall John

The only problem I had when I placed my first and only cache was when the reviewer told me i spelt easy wrong. Told me to fix that after he published it. Within 10 minutes it was published and I fixed my spelling mistake of "aesy". I have asked several questions to him directly about other caches and, to be honest, I really appriciated his honesty on them. I am really lucky to have a very helpful reviewer. And I have never met him before. He just seems like a super nice guy willing to help anyone out.

Edited by kw_jw174

I had maybe 2 or 3 issues when first starting out creating caches. They were guideline violations, and ever since then I've never had an issue. I've been involved with placing 73 caches, and 13 events so far.

Read the guidelines. Memorize them. They are your friend. If you make sure that you follow them, then your path shall be golden. :huh:

Edited by Ambrosia