TV & Movie Geocoins? What's the policy?

Nochipra

I was just curious about this subject? I've seen some coins that I have questioned "How did they get that made, did they get special permission?" If I ever got the money to produce one, I would like to see a coin commemorating one of my favorite new tv show "Heroes" on NBC but would I have to get permission from the show to have that done? Some of the catch phrases from the show are "Are You On The List" and "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World". If I were to put those phrases on a coin does that require special permission? I've seen coins that have the look of popular candy bars and iPods, etc. Did they require special permission to produce? Just curious?

I've always wondered about this too. With all the Jeep coins, now theres the Mustang, Pink Floyd and the Hitchhikers Guide coin to name a few (not picking on any of these BTW), where and how do you get the permission from or are people just making them with the idea "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission"?

We live in a world were we are allowed to be fans and encouraged to do so.

Permission to make a fan coin should be easy to get. If it's not, then the company behind the show isn't worth being a fan of.

I would think it would be more of a problem if you were selling such fan coins. Depending on how much control they want to maintain on their copyrighted images, they might be ok with items like a picture of a jeep or a character, but not the title of a show or a known logo.

We live in a world were we are allowed to be fans and encouraged to do so.

Permission to make a fan coin should be easy to get. If it's not, then the company behind the show isn't worth being a fan of.

I would think it would be more of a problem if you were selling such fan coins. Depending on how much control they want to maintain on their copyrighted images, they might be ok with items like a picture of a jeep or a character, but not the title of a show or a known logo.

I don't know anyone who is a fan of a company. For example, the folks who are fans of M*A*S*H are probably not too interested that 20th Century Fox made the thing. And, they are probably not a fan of 20th, either.

As to the matter of making a fan coin, it would depend on what you were using. Disney is fiercely protective of everything they own. Including the images of all their characters. They are also not too keen on letting anyone use them for anything, without paying Disney a hefty fee. Anyone remember the Tigger coin?

Union Pacific just sued a photographer for using pictures of their locomotives in a calender. Their spin was that a) the colors of their locomotives is widely recognized (they are to train nuts, and train pros), and :ph34r: that the winged shield on the nose of these things is also widely recognized. (again, to fans and pros, it is). They lost that suit because they had let calender makers use the images for years. The other big railroads took notice, and are scrambling to get their ducks in a row.

If a company owns a property that is recognized pretty much anywhere in the world, you can bet that they protect that image. It is their bread and butter, and they might not let you use it. Remember, these companies are in business for a profit, and royalties on images are a considerable source of income for them.

Be careful. Get permission.

I am glad to see there are as many big MASH fans out there as me. Now that I have thought about it, the coin could be in the shape of a tent, or it could be shaped like of the big ambulance buses. The other image that comes to mind is the sign post with the mileage to all their hometowns.

If there is enough interest in this, Maybe I should take a look at this. I am a really huge MASH fan. Hmmmmm.....

How about a coin with Klinger in a dress or nurses outfit with hairy legs and all? I was a fan of that show too but my boyfriend can't stand it. He said he couldn't stand the laugh track in the show. He says why is their a laugh track for a show that is set in a remote location? Guess he has a point although I never noticed the laugh track til he told me?

Edited by Nochipra

How about a coin with Klinger in a dress or nurses outfit with hairy legs and all? I was a fan of that show too but my boyfriend can't stand it. He said he couldn't stand the laugh track in the show. He says why is their a laugh track for a show that is set in a remote location? Guess he has a point although I never noticed the laugh track til he told me?

That was classic 60's and 70's shows. Everything had a laugh track. Don't let him keep you from watching it! I keep all seasons of it on DVD so when I need my MASH fix, I just drop one in! :)

After reading other comments here, there are just so many good icons that came out of that show, it would be real hard to just select one that represents the whole show. I like the Klinger idea. The martini glass is actually a great idea too. I am surprised no one has mentioned the teddy bear. But that may be too obscure for people who are not die hard fans. Wow. There could be a whole series of geocoins just based on this show.

Copyright laws are in effect and this is not a case where you can ask forgiveness later, you will open yourself up to possible ramifications/lawsuits if you use copyrighted material without permission. Use the search feature to look up previous threads on the subject.