Problems with Garmin Communicator Plugin / Mac / Firefox

macfuddl

Hi

I'm experiencing problems with Garmin Communicator Plugin version 2.2.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.4.10 with Firefox 2.0.0.7.

The message "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected. Download and install now." is displayed after clicking "Send to GPS".

The Garmin test page says: "Garmin Communicator Plugin Test Page

Communicator Plugin is properly installed and up to date, version 2.2.1.0.

Garmin GPS device is detected and communicating properly:"

I tested it on 2 Macs. Didn't work on either.

I would be glad if you can fix this.

Macfuddl

Try downloading and reinstalling the communicator plugin to see if that gets you anywhere. I was able to successfully send a cache to my Garmin Rino just now.

Edit: To add that I am using Firefox with Windows XP. I don't have a Mac to test. Any Mac users have trouble?

I wouldn't have complained without re-installing before ;-)

An yes, works fine with Firefox on Windows XP....

BTW: worked fine on Mac yesterday ;-)

Edited by macfuddl

Try downloading and reinstalling the communicator plugin to see if that gets you anywhere. I was able to successfully send a cache to my Garmin Rino just now.

Edit: To add that I am using Firefox with Windows XP. I don't have a Mac to test. Any Mac users have trouble?

I wouldn't have complained without re-installing before ;-)

An yes, works fine with Firefox on Windows XP....

BTW: worked fine on Mac yesterday ;-)

Sorry, I always assume the person asking the question knows nothing about computers and then go from there. You never know.

Apparently Garmin updated their api recently and we didn't make the change in the code yet. Can you try again and let me know how it goes? Thanks.

Sorry, I always assume the person asking the question knows nothing about computers and then go from there. You never know.

Apparently Garmin updated their api recently and we didn't make the change in the code yet. Can you try again and let me know how it goes? Thanks.

No problem ;-)

Works fine again, thanks a lot :-)

I don't have a Mac to test. Any Mac users have trouble?

I tried Communicator with the latest versions of the Mac OS, Safari and Firefox to a Garmin GPSmap 76CS with the latest firmware. Using either browser the window says: "Geocache (GCxxxx) geocache saved successfully" (redundant wording could be cleaned up) but it does not, in fact, upload the waypoint to the receiver. Confirmed this several times with different waypoints.

I don't have a Mac to test. Any Mac users have trouble?

I tried Communicator with the latest versions of the Mac OS, Safari and Firefox to a Garmin GPSmap 76CS with the latest firmware. Using either browser the window says: "Geocache (GCxxxx) geocache saved successfully" (redundant wording could be cleaned up) but it does not, in fact, upload the waypoint to the receiver. Confirmed this several times with different waypoints.

Argl, yes, it seems to work but doesn't...

The caches I transferred yesterday were saved as waypoints to the Garmin, not as geocaches as it was before.

But... it's the same on Windows XP: Caches appear as waypoints on the Garmin, not as geocaches.

So this is not a problem with the Mac.

Edited by macfuddl

The caches I transferred yesterday were saved as waypoints to the Garmin, not as geocaches as it was before.

But... it's the same on Windows XP: Caches appear as waypoints on the Garmin, not as geocaches.

So this is not a problem with the Mac.

Yes, I see that the cache is loaded on the GPS receiver but with a "small city" symbol, not as a "geocache," so it does not appear in a normal geocache search. I wonder if the symbol is something the Communicator determines or if Groundspeak can specify it? It makes the communicator less useful when I have to correct the symbol for each cache.