Problem with .kml browser for google earth

seedcorp

Hi, I hawe tryied to work with my google earth, but my browser told me to wisit my acount page for downoloading a new wersion of this .kml file. After downloading and owerwriting the old one it doesent work... shows me some error message.... What should i do to fix it?

We're working on this one, thanks!

We have solved our problem. Make sure you are opening this program with Google Earth. We had ours opening with Internet Explorer and it wouldn't open the KLM file. We went into the default program file ( on Vista it is in the Start Menu) and changed the KLM file to open with Google Earth and problem was solved.

We're working on this one, thanks!

We have solved our problem. Make sure you are opening this program with Google Earth. We had ours opening with Internet Explorer and it wouldn't open the KLM file. We went into the default program file ( on Vista it is in the Start Menu) and changed the KLM file to open with Google Earth and problem was solved.

That did not work for us. Oh well, there goes another feature that we liked alot.

Cheers and thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, thanks.... it works, but still not correct. When i try to open a cache with additional waypoints table in googel earth from database of pocket query or from the list showed by .klm file, it replies an -/-runtime error.... When i open this cache with additional waypoints in google mps, it works correctly. So ther is still some bug in the new code of geocaching pages, because previously it worked ok. Thanks.

It's working again. I downloaded a new kml file & all was well. If it was part of the upgrades, no problem, but it would be sort of nice of someone said so. Upgrading is painful; we can be patient. Thanks.

BTW, there are 2 threads going on this. I'm going to copy this message to the other one.

I have been redirected here to solve a problem with Google Earth, but I don't see a solution...

Here is what I posted in my other thread

Loading the Geocaching Network KML file in Google Earth I always get a message saying

<QUOTE>

Fetch of NetworkLink "Geocaching Network Link" failed... at line XX, column YY

junk after document element....

</QUOTE>

When I fetch the KML document by hand (using wget), the resulting file seems to have 2 kml documents in it.

The first seems fine but the second say...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">

<Folder><Placemark><name>Network KML Error</name><description><![CDATA[There has been an error in the Network KML File.]]></description><visibility>1</visibility><Point><coordinates>-122.34902, 47.620382, 0</coordinates></Point></Placemark></Folder></kml>

The coordinates are always the same!

Seems like there might be a problem with a file stored on the Geocaching WWW site.

Can anyone help?

Chris

I'm having the exact same problem. I go to File>Open in Google Earth, then select the KML file and get the same error as Chris gets.

I have been redirected here to solve a problem with Google Earth, but I don't see a solution...

Here is what I posted in my other thread

Loading the Geocaching Network KML file in Google Earth I always get a message saying

<QUOTE>

Fetch of NetworkLink "Geocaching Network Link" failed... at line XX, column YY

junk after document element....

</QUOTE>

When I fetch the KML document by hand (using wget), the resulting file seems to have 2 kml documents in it.

The first seems fine but the second say...

<Folder><Placemark><name>Network KML Error</name><description><![CDATA[There has been an error in the Network KML File.]]></description><visibility>1</visibility><Point><coordinates>-122.34902, 47.620382, 0</coordinates></Point></Placemark></Folder></kml>

The coordinates are always the same!

Seems like there might be a problem with a file stored on the Geocaching WWW site.

Can anyone help?

Chris

Mine is broke too and does not work.

KML says:

<NetworkLink>

<open>1</open>

<name>Geocaching Network KML</name>

<description>Geocaching.com Caches located in the view window of Google Earth.</description>

<open>1</open>

<visibility>1</visibility>

<refreshVisibility>0</refreshVisibility>

<Url>

<href>http://www.geocaching.com/kml/kml.aspx?key=MMU5VlmGl1lYR3rDCTOmdcAG0clz%2fwWtzzRnDX9aCG3PKGHIjbIEldcgzh%2bXiykbSoZUNhvT42JdXiD%2f%2bhJ2%2fA%3d%3d&</href>

<viewRefreshTime>3</viewRefreshTime>

<viewRefreshMode>onStop</viewRefreshMode>

</Url>

</NetworkLink></kml>

I never did use this feature, but am now curious about it.... I know if you drag and drop a GPX file onto the Google Earth window, it will show them to you as long as there's not too many (my 100 daily crashes, but a shorter one works).

I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium.

Now I got the same problems as others with Google Earth.

When I open My account and click on "Download Geocache browser in Google Earth", Google Earth will open OK, but when I zoom in to a place, where less than 100 caches are in the picture, I get a message: "Fetch of Network link Google Network KML failed... error at line 95, column 395..." And no caches will be shown.

With my old computer, with Windows XP, I had no such problems.

I hope someone can give me a way to solve the problems.

If that's really what it says, the error Earth is returning is correct; there is an invalid entity encoding at the end of that key. That's a site problem, not an Earth one.

I know if you drag and drop a GPX file onto the Google Earth window, it will show them to you as long as there's not too many (my 100 daily crashes, but a shorter one works).

I've sent a GPX containing > 25,000 geocaches into Earth. No problem. (It was the collection of a LOT of PQs. I won't claim it was speedy. :-) There isn't a problem inherent with size. Far more likely is that your bigger GPX contains a geocache that contains bad characters in the cache description or log that is resulting in the site creating an invalid GPX file. There have been many reports of that through the years and the solution has always been to hand edit the offending logs/caches instead of fixing the GPX generator.

If you would like to privately send me the GPX file that won't read in Earth for analysis, I'd do so. Use my geocaching name but at gpsbabel.org.

If that's really what it says, the error Earth is returning is correct; there is an invalid entity encoding at the end of that key. That's a site problem, not an Earth one.

I know if you drag and drop a GPX file onto the Google Earth window, it will show them to you as long as there's not too many (my 100 daily crashes, but a shorter one works).

I suspect that what has happened is that the XML actually says & (like it should) and that we are only seeing the raw & because something somewhere along the line has interpreted it.

My KML file has & just fine but I'm still getting the "junk after document element" error.

I've sent a GPX containing > 25,000 geocaches into Earth. No problem. (It was the collection of a LOT of PQs. I won't claim it was speedy. :-) There isn't a problem inherent with size. Far more likely is that your bigger GPX contains a geocache that contains bad characters in the cache description or log that is resulting in the site creating an invalid GPX file. There have been many reports of that through the years and the solution has always been to hand edit the offending logs/caches instead of fixing the GPX generator.

If you would like to privately send me the GPX file that won't read in Earth for analysis, I'd do so. Use my geocaching name but at gpsbabel.org.

Most users here seem to be experiencing the "junk after document element" problem rather than problems with uploading GPX files.

As I have previously diagnosed, when you use the URL that is in the NetworkLink with wget (of course, you need to hand-append the BBOX= to make it into a valid URL to GET) then you end up with a file that contains 2 (yes 2) XML documents. The first one seems perfectly valid. The second one contains the text that I have included in a previous post in this thread. It is this second XML document that constututes the "junk after document element" and is what is causing the problem in GE. The only place this XML can originate from is the geocaching.com web server.

It is curious that the coordinates in the second document are always the same (-122.34902, 47.620382, 0).

This just happens to be EXACTLY the coordinates of the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington!

There appears to be an event happening at this location on November 11 but, even more coincidentally, the notice for this event was published on October 26. This is the date when I (at least) started noticing the problems after it had prevously been working just fine.

Please can someone look at why the geocaching server might be producing a response that contains two documents?

Chris

Edited by Selwyn&Son

Thanks for the offer, but I no longer have it. Here is the most recent KML generated

<NetworkLink>

<open>1</open>

<name>Geocaching Network KML</name>

<description>Geocaching.com Caches located in the view window of Google Earth.</description>

<open>1</open>

<visibility>1</visibility>

<refreshVisibility>0</refreshVisibility>

<Url>

<href>http://www.geocaching.com/kml/kml.aspx?key=MMU5VlmGl1lYR3rDCTOmdcAG0clz%2fwWtzzRnDX9aCG3PKGHIjbIElSmWzL1s79S2ZmLKW1QQzieUFxANh0gpQA%3d%3d&</href>

<viewRefreshTime>3</viewRefreshTime>

<viewRefreshMode>onStop</viewRefreshMode>

</Url>

</NetworkLink></kml>

Still crashes.

I appear to have have the same mistake as a number of other cachers - downloading the new Google Earth. I have been messing about with it all day and still get a "fetch error". Google Earth referred me here. I have no idea what any of the posted computer codes mean in the above emails. All I want is to be able to see the caches like I was able to in the old Google Earth. How do I go about getting an old copy of Google Earth - pre-upgrade version?? Thanks.

Hello all - I'm a relatively new geocacher. I just started using Google Earth and the Geocaching kml last week. It was fantastic, but now I have the same problem as others have posted, namely the geocaches don't show and i get the "Fetch of Network link... Geocaching Network... Failed...line 18 column 71... junk after document element". From the posts so far it looks like the problem isn't with my PC or Google Earth? If there is a fix to this, could we please be told?

Many thanks - keep up the good work!!!!

Lewisb

I appear to have have the same mistake as a number of other cachers - downloading the new Google Earth. I have been messing about with it all day and still get a "fetch error". Google Earth referred me here. I have no idea what any of the posted computer codes mean in the above emails. All I want is to be able to see the caches like I was able to in the old Google Earth. How do I go about getting an old copy of Google Earth - pre-upgrade version?? Thanks.

Try selecting a RESTORE POINT on your computer prior to the date you downloaded the update.

Hi - I tried a system restore a few days ago and that didn't help. I just tried again, restoring to an earlier point (well before Google Earth installation) but still got the same problem. Has anyone successfully fixed this problem? Thanks in advance. Lewis

I tried another thing. I uninstalled Google Earth. Then did a search for all .kml files and deleted them. Then did a search for all 'earth' files - this revealed a few more hidden files which I deleted. Then restarted. Then downloaded google earth again and installed it. Weird thing was, My Places were still there when I opened this new version. Needless to say - I have the same problem. Perhaps it is connected with not being able to completely wipe my system of google earth? Any help or suggestions most welcome - thanks!

WHEHEY! It's working again! I did all of the above, then in Google Earth I deleted the geocaching network kml file, then I downloaded a new one from geocaching.com onto my desktop. Opened it through Google Earth and everything works again. So the key lies somehow to completely remove google earth and all its associated files, reinstall, then download a new version of the geocaching kml file. Cheers & happy geocaching! Lewis