Send to GPS

kewfriend

Really useful utility: LOVE IT

BUT

This morning when I 'Sent to GPS' caches in Oxfordshire England they all uploaded with the BLUE FLAG icon, not the CLOSED CACHE BOX icon, and the NAME OF THE CACHE was substituted with the word GEOCACHE.

I'm absolutely certain this didnt happen the last time I used this utility - but then I am over 50 and capable of imagining things!

While we are on this subject: Parking - (perhaps more a Euro need than a US thing as parking is often tightly controlled over here). It would be really good to be able to 'Send to GPS' the parking location as well (where cache setters offered it as a waypoint). Two reasons: immediately one's GPS can give route navigation direct to Parking - really nice, and secondly with Parking often a nightmare to find in much of crowded urban & suburban Europe, its a real boon to steer stright for it rather than orbiting streets hour after hour. At the moment I type it all in manually from the cache pages.

This morning when I 'Sent to GPS' caches in Oxfordshire England they all uploaded with the BLUE FLAG icon, not the CLOSED CACHE BOX icon, and the NAME OF THE CACHE was substituted with the word GEOCACHE.

Yes, this change is part of the "site improvements".

A member of a German forum sent an enquiry to Garmin about it (in case it was plugin related) who confirmed it was an a web page issue.

Really useful utility: LOVE IT

BUT

I'm absolutely certain this didnt happen the last time I used this utility - but then I am over 50 and capable of imagining things!

I'm experiencing the same :-(

Also discussed here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=175153

Yes, this change is part of the "site improvements".

A member of a German forum sent an enquiry to Garmin about it (in case it was plugin related) who confirmed it was an a web page issue.

The same thing has happened to me here in Lincolnshire, Illinois except instead of a BLUE FLAG I only get a large DOT that is not doing anything for me. The old CHEST symbol at least let me know if the cache had been found or not by the lid being closed if not found and open it found. The other related problem is that the cache information is not being sent to the GEOCACHE listing only the WAYPOINTS listing. I used the NAME OF THE CACHE all the time to know which printed out pages to take with me on my hunts in case I needed to check the hints. Please tell me that this is going to be fixed soon. With the loss of the CACHE BOX and the NUMBERED CACHE LOCATIONS & right side NUMBERED CACHE INDEX it has made geocaching a lot more difficult and a lot less fun. If the cache information is not sent to the GEOCACHE listing then that defeats the purpose of having it on the GPS.

Edited by Doxie Man

There is a bug currently with loading the cache to the GPSr and having it show as a blue flag (or something else) instead of a closed cache container - minor problem - just go into the waypoint info and change the icon. You could change the flag to a cache box, or tell the GPSr to use the blue flag icon for unfound caches and leave the open cache box for the found ones. (This would be a pain though if you had downloaded a ton of caches). The description of the cache is also missing. There are a few bugs to work out but I am sure it will be more useful than the previous map when it is done.

Same thing happened to me again (as other users pointed out it happened in September).

Techwiz wrote

You could change the flag to a cache box, or tell the GPSr to use the blue flag icon for unfound caches and leave the open cache box for the found ones

Yes this is possible but it is also a pain as you need to also change the cache name back to what it should be instead of the word geocache.

Hopefully this problem gets fixed ASAP because it is quite frustrating.

I had exactly the same thing happen today to me too which is precisely why I came in here to check and see if the website had been changed in some way. Got blue flag, geocache word instead of cache name too. And I've downloaded several times this week and today was the first time this happened while I did the same thing every time. And yes, I'm over 50 too but I know it was different today than before - I wouldn't know how to do anything different from the way I've always done it!