14 char waypoint names with H series

Rhialto

Thanks goes to Robert, GPSBabel author.

Created a gpsbabel.ini file in the GSAK directory (where GPSBabel is) and simply put those 2 lines:

[Common format settings]

snlen=14

Then tell GSAK (in the GPS/Send Waypoints screen) to use 14 chars in Waypoint name length.

That's it!

The next GPSBabel will make all new H series default to 14 char waypoint names. More here.

It's not working for me. What am I doing wrong?.....help please?

I created a text file and named it "gpsbabel.ini" and included the two lines you suggested; it's in the main GSAK directory. And, I changed the name length in GSAK as appropriate. I'm still getting the 10 characters on my Hcx.

Thanks!

Edited by JeepinCalifornia

Hi JC,

Are you using %smart in the waypoint name? If yes, be sure to verify the char limit of it. You set it in Tools/Options, look at the bottom right corner.

I was using 6 previously because I kept the last 4 char for telling me %typ1%con1%dif1%ter1 so all this was 10 in length.

Smart name was increased to 10 with the same 4 char so total is now 14.

And like I said, in the GPS/Send Waypoints screen you also need to tell to use 14.

Hi JC,

Are you using %smart in the waypoint name? If yes, be sure to verify the char limit of it. You set it in Tools/Options, look at the bottom right corner.

I was using 6 previously because I kept the last 4 char for telling me %typ1%con1%dif1%ter1 so all this was 10 in length.

Smart name was increased to 10 with the same 4 char so total is now 14.

And like I said, in the GPS/Send Waypoints screen you also need to tell to use 14.

Thanks for the info. Let's see here...

Yes, it's set to 14 in Maximum Characters under Send to GPS; it's also 14 under the Smart Name in Tools-Options. My build that I like is: %smart=11%con1%Dif I've also tried it: %smart%con1%Dif, without a difference. And, I've also tried just: %smart, to no avail. The max characters is still 10.

Perhaps I've done something wrong when creating the .INI file in GSAK...?

Perhaps I've done something wrong when creating the .INI file in GSAK...?

Hmm.. you use latest GSAK version? There is a gpsbabel.exe file where GSAK is installed? It's there you created a gpsbabel.ini file? Content should what's in bold (with brackets too)

[Common format settings]

snlen=14

Let me know...

Thanks for the reply.

You got it - all updated, there's a gpsbabel application which opens the .exe file in a little black box if it's clicked on, the .ini file is there, as well; that file, I created in Windows Note Pad, typed in the above as suggested, and simply saved under "all files" and named it gpsbabel.ini...

well, until the new GPSBabel is out which will fix this but in the meantime, could be pinned.

On the other hand, seems not a lot are using this trick, we don't get much report from happy user.

I was just pointed to this thread from another one discussing geocaching symbols in the H series.

This little .ini trick did the job for me. I'm happy to have all 14 characters back.

My guess is that many H series owners don't know any better than to accept 10 characters - so they don't know what they're missing. I also have a 76CSx which uses 14 and I've gotten used to 14 - so I wanted all 14 in the H, too. Anyway, that might be why it doesn't appear that this fix gets too much attention. I, for one, am very thankful for it, though!!

Now on to my next problem - and maybe there's an ini setting for this, too.

The waypoints sent to a Vista HCx are alwasy in upper case. GSAK is set to NOT send all uppercase (eg the checkbox is off). In my other GPSr's it works correctly, however, the H waypoints are always uppercase.

Anyone know of an ini setting for this?

Sokratz

There was a thread about this recently. Perhaps Garmin will fix this with new firmware. I haven't contacted Garmin about that, and don't know if the other poster did, but the more people who let them know they want this addressed with an upcoming firmware release, the more likely they will address it.

There was a thread about this recently. Perhaps Garmin will fix this with new firmware. I haven't contacted Garmin about that, and don't know if the other poster did, but the more people who let them know they want this addressed with an upcoming firmware release, the more likely they will address it.

If the waypoint is created in MapSource with mixed case and sent to the GPSr it shows up correctly in mixed case. It appears that only from GSAK does it convert to all upper case.

I'll contact Garmin about it as well just to get another name in the hat.

Thanks for the info!!

I recently started using a eTrex Vista HCx. I have been using a 60CSx with GSAK so far, so I am VERY used to the 14 char waypoint names and mixed cases ... so I immediately noticed the 10 char limit in the Vista HCx. Thanks to this thread (and the forum search capability), I could find this solution quickly and it worked great in sending 14 char waypoint names from GSAK successfully.

However, the names sent from GSAK are still all upper case. Does anyone know of a solution for this ? I really like the mixed case names since they are so much more readable.

UPDATE:

Found the answer to my question above from the GSAK support forum. Using the latest ver 7.2.1 patch for GSAK (build 33) fixes both these issues. See this thread

Edited by chuntu

Thanks goes to Robert, GPSBabel author.

Created a gpsbabel.ini file in the GSAK directory (where GPSBabel is) and simply put those 2 lines:

[Common format settings]

snlen=14

Then tell GSAK (in the GPS/Send Waypoints screen) to use 14 chars in Waypoint name length.

That's it!

The next GPSBabel will make all new H series default to 14 char waypoint names. More here.

Bump!

Bump!
No need to bump anymore, the latest GSAK include the latest GPSBabel that fix this problem. In fact it is now possible to get 14 chars if you have not limited the length in GSAK and it also support UPPER/lowercase chars.

O.K. So I'm tight. I'm using the latest and greatest 6.xxx version. Can I upgrade the GPSBabel in it and use the described ini file to send 14 to my Vista HCx, or does all this require the latest 7.xxx version of GSAK too?

Cache On!

JohnTee