Topo 2008 and City Navigator NT 2008

I just got the Vista eTrex Vista HCx and loaded on some topo 2008 maps as well as city navigator maps. I wasnt able to find where the topo maps were for the longest time and the only way i can get them to display is if I go deep into the map settings and uncheck the citynav map for the region i am in...is there anyway that both maps can be displayed at the same time??

Thanks for the help

I just got the Vista eTrex Vista HCx and loaded on some topo 2008 maps as well as city navigator maps. I wasnt able to find where the topo maps were for the longest time and the only way i can get them to display is if I go deep into the map settings and uncheck the citynav map for the region i am in...is there anyway that both maps can be displayed at the same time??

Thanks for the help

I use a GPSmap 60Cx and I have the same problem. You can not use both the Street maps and the TOPOs at the same time, either one or the other. Plus if you go to the TOPOs you will not be able to use street routing.

Thanks for the help

Short answer is No.

But it is very quick to hide all the City Navigator maps at one time by just by checking the box "Hide" City Navigator. A lot of newbies have trouble finding this screen at first (Manual unclear). Once on the Mapsetup page enter Menu one more time and it will bring up all the loaded Mapsource Mapsets and you can easily "Hide" or "Show" all mapsegments for that Mapset at one time. This is how most users switch between CN maps and Topo or waterways maps.

Map hierarchy of Mapsource Maps:

CN

CitySelect

MetroGuide

Fishing Hot Spots

Waterways and Lights

Roads and Rec.

Topo 24K for National Parks

Topo 2008

U.S. Topo

Basemap

(The more detailed the map - the higher in the hierarchy)

All Mapsource Mapsets (which are the various Mapsource types of maps; map segments are the individual maps within a Mapset) have a map hierarchy. The mapset with the hightest rank in the hierarchy order will display on top of all the Mapsets lower in the hierarchy. You can view CN maps and Topo maps at the same time, just not for the same area. If a CN map segment overlaps part of a topo map segment you won't see the topo area overlapped by CN unless you "Hide" CN.

edited: added more maps to heirarchy list

Edited by eaparks
All Mapsource Mapsets (which are the various Mapsource types of maps; map segments are the individual maps within a Mapset) have a map hierarchy. The mapset with the hightest rank in the hierarchy order will display on top of all the Mapsets lower in the hierarchy. You can view CN maps and Topo maps at the same time, just not for the same area. If a CN map segment overlaps part of a topo map segment you won't see the topo area overlapped by CN unless you "Hide" CN.

I think some clarification is needed here. The unit can have only one Mapset loaded. When you are in the map setup screen you will see a list of check-boxes. That entire list (checked or not) is the Mapset and consists of each tile you selected in Mapsource. In the context menu you have the option of showing/hiding different Garmin maps that you included in the Mapset in Mapsource (you cannot show/hide a mapset, per se).

Edited by Hiker2008

I thought I stumbled into a neat discovery today, but I'm reserving judgment until someone else tells me something about it. I was hiking today and turned off City Navigator (in my Vista HCx). Later, when I was driving again, I told it to route me to a destination and it did. Only later did it occur to me that CN was still turned off -- BUT auto-route was STILL WORKING. Hey! I might just be onto something!

Basically, I was looking at TOPO 2008 (land contours and roads), but routing with City Navigator. Neat-o!

However, I noticed some strange turns (in familiar territory) that might be the only caveat to doing this. Anyone else tried that yet?

I thought I stumbled into a neat discovery today, but I'm reserving judgment until someone else tells me something about it. I was hiking today and turned off City Navigator (in my Vista HCx). Later, when I was driving again, I told it to route me to a destination and it did. Only later did it occur to me that CN was still turned off -- BUT auto-route was STILL WORKING. Hey! I might just be onto something!

Basically, I was looking at TOPO 2008 (land contours and roads), but routing with City Navigator. Neat-o!

However, I noticed some strange turns (in familiar territory) that might be the only caveat to doing this. Anyone else tried that yet?

I have seen the same thing. I rarely use routing so I never investigated too deeply. For example is the show/hide map feature for display purposes only or does it also affect data processing?