Explorist Vista Drivers

On Magellan's FAQ's page, they say a Vista driver is now available for the Explorist 400/500/600 and they show a nice picture by picture instructions on how to install on your computer.

Unfortunately, I can't find a link that actually brings you to the file to download.

They might be still updating the page, because yesterday they had the instructions, but no pictures.

Anyone have the link to the file?

On Magellan's FAQ's page, they say a Vista driver is now available for the Explorist 400/500/600 and they show a nice picture by picture instructions on how to install on your computer.

Unfortunately, I can't find a link that actually brings you to the file to download.

They might be still updating the page, because yesterday they had the instructions, but no pictures.

I have an eXplorer 210.

Using the "Ask Maggie" feature, I was directed to call the Technical Support Line. A nice man told me that the drivers are still being updated for Vista by an outside firm. He said they should be ready in about two or three weeks. Since I called (I think) I will be sent an email when the updates will be completed.

I think they reformatted the web page before the updates were ready.

At least there is hope. I thought I would have to resort to entering coordinates by hand until I decide to buy a new GPS.

Hi Walt,

I wrote the modified driver to which you refer. It can be downloaded from my web site using the following link. There is also a forum running for the driver with many users reporting there success with the driver. The Magellan distributor in Australia has also placed the driver on their website with an advice that the driver is thrid party produced. I have provided a link to their site also.

Good Luck.

Jason

jason@avidinvestigations.com.au

Driver Download

http://www.avidinvestigations.com.au/files...ndows_Vista.zip

Vista/eXplorist Driver Forum

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=171877&hl=

Australian Distributor Web Site

http://www.nextdestination.com.au/Pages/Do...ndName=Magellan

Thanks Corlit,

I installed the driver, and the installation went well. But the problem I'm trying to solve isn't with the NMEA communications part.

I'm being bullheaded.

What I'm trying to fix is in the file transfer mode. Geocache Manager software isn't recognizing that the Explorist is connected to the computer when I try to send a geocache list to the gps. I have another computer with XP I can use for this, and I'm sure there's other software I can use. But I'm just being stubborn and trying to get Geocache Manager to work with Vista.

If you have a fix for getting Geocache Manager to work with Vista, please let me know. :-)

I installed this too, but it still doesn't allow Geocache Manager to work. I can drop and drag files to the explorist from Geocache Manager and EasyGPS, and they'll be in the explorist's memory, but it won't read them.

I have the same problem. I bought an eXplorist 500 LE and loaded the Geocache Manager on my Vista machine. I wasn't able to transfer GEOcache points to my receiver. I received an error message saying "No unit detected". I called the 1-800 tech support line and was told they're still working on the Vista update for the Geocache software and that, if I had an XP machine, it would work. UNSAT answer but, fortunately, I do have an XP machine and was able to transfer my Geopoints using that.

Hopefully, I'll be notified when the Vista update is ready.

You don't have to enter them by hand if you have an SD card and gpsbabel. Do a pocket query in the gpx format and use gpsbabel to convert them to the magellan geocache (gs) format, save them to your SD card Geocaches folder and voila, there you go.

I'm still being a mule and trying to get geocache manager to work with Vista though.

I know its been 2 years since anyone has responded to the thread....but I am looking for the same answer. Geocache Manager saves the files in a .geo format in which the "new" Geocache Manager, VantagePoint doesn't import.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Thanks